How can this NOT be Price Fixing

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:08 am
Eyep.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:19 am
Bella - I don't know how I could have been dense for so long...

snookered seems to be, at the most, somewhere around college age, and has a class in marketing where his project revolves around this.

he has a theory, and is looking only for fact that will support him and his paper.

How could I be so slow?

snookered, no wonder you totally ignore posts that don't meet your criteria, or talk nonsense about the 2 or 3 you keep bringing up in quotes over and over again.

Do you not see how coupons are a powerful marketing tool?

Do you think all a direct competitor has to do is stagger sales days, which BTW, as been shown to be untrue in several posts, which you ignore.

Reread what I said before about coupons, and since I apparantly need to repeat myself again, I am talking about manufacturers coupons, not drug store/pharmacy coupons.

Coupons are a powerful incentive to buy when coupled with sales.

My marketing experience? I'm 48 years old, have a lot of common sense, and have observed how companies time their sales to holidays, coupon expiration dates, and rebate expiration dates for the last 25 years.

I use coupons and rebates.... a lot....in a typical year probably use a couple hundred dollars worth of coupons, and anywhere from $500 to $1,000 plus in rebates, and that's not even including the savings from items being simultaneously on sale.

You'll have to take my word for this, this has happened over, and over, and over again.

You clip a coupon for a dollar, it's typical expiration date, 9 times out of 10, is on a Saturday. You either use the coupon right away, or not. However, if you look at the supermarket ads for sales that will be going on the coming Saturday, when most people shop for groceries, you will not be surpirsed to see that an item that you hold a coupon for, that is expriring on Saturday, is also for an item that just happens to be on sale.

Do you think the people posting here are just totally making this up? Do you not think we have real life experience?

You remind me of this girl in college I was in a marketing class with...her project was to design and market a new beer. The first thing she did was decide she was going to bottle it in a blue bottle. A BLUE BEER bottle for Christs sake!

She insisted this was key to her making a lot of sales, regardless of the general consensus that beer in a blue bottle was likely to make you want to puke.

So, where ARE you going with this anyway?

Bella, sorry about the Augustin Burroughs remark.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:46 am
Chai wrote:

Bella, sorry about the Augustin Burroughs remark.

Huh?

About marketing being dry? Well, it sort of is. Laughing There isn't much to it.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:23 pm
parados wrote:
snookered wrote:

Publix Brand .69, on sale, when close to expiration 2/1.00. Coke 1.49 when Pepsi is on promotion at .99. Next week when it's cokes turn at .99 and Pesi is 1.49. The prices aren't always .99, maybe 1.09.
I'm talking more about 2 ltr. bottles. I never buy cans at a supermarket just in a machine when needed.
Your comparison of an eight oz. of coke at $10, is ignorant. It's like sayting a loaf of bread is $10.
$10 a can was an example.
Price fixing is a monopoly tactic. With a monopoly you could charge $10 a can because there would be no other choice. With price fixing, all the manufacturers would charge $10 a can because they have conspired to act like a monopoly.

$10 for a can of coke is an example of what? Monopolies? Good thing the United State has a Free market system to prevent monopolies.
The example of Coke and Pepsi is an example of CONTROLLING a market. Price fixing is an attempt to monopolize a by one company. With Coke and Pepsi it is probably an attempt to monopolize in concert with a unwritten agreement. In other words they both realize that neither one of them could monopolize the other, and perhaps this alternating sales and common price increase just fell in place without any forethought.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:27 pm
snookered wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

Marketing is sophisticated for Coke and Pepsi, that's why they take turns having sales.

No one listens to me either.

They are on sale at the same time. Every week.

I've seen it.

Here.

http://www.farmerjack.com/images/circulars/0412_du2lc0r3d311/FMJ_041207_S_05_FJHBR.jpg

And here. (sorry, the image wouldn't come up)

Target

One of each. Both on sale this week.

The sales (as someone else said) are set by the stores to bring people in. Not by Coke or Pepsi.

OK, for the last time. As I said before, I excluded stores such as pharmacies. SUPERMARKETS, SUPERMARKETS SUPERMARKETS....Pepsi and Coke set the prices and sales days, this is called a silent agreement or contract. It's great marketing, but that is why it is illegal to "price fix." They stock the shelves and pay dearly for the shelf space. The are always at the opposite end of the isle.
Many stores use "loss Leaders" to get consumers into their store.

Isn't what Bella posted a supermarket?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:28 pm
snookered wrote:

The example of Coke and Pepsi is an example of CONTROLLING a market. Price fixing is an attempt to monopolize a by one company.

Uh, how?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
snookered wrote:

In other words they both realize that neither one of them could monopolize the other, and perhaps this alternating sales and common price increase just fell in place without any forethought.

I'd wager Faygo raised their prices at some point. Are they in on it too?

This mass soda conspiracy?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:33 pm
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Some other cola companies:

Procter & Gamble
Cadbury Schweppes
Winn-Dixie
Hansen Natural
SABMiller
Heineken
A.S Watson
Asahi Breweries
Cott
Leading Brands
Polar

Let me repeat...There are two MAJOR Brands of Cola, Pepsi and Coke. These you mention don't amount to a hill of beans. The Leading Brands are these!
I have never heard of six of them. Four are beer breweries, unless they have a line of Coloas.
Where do you live and what do you consider leading brands?

Yes - they have a line of colas (breweries) - just because you do not recongnize the names - most sell under different brand names. Look up the company websites and you will see they also sell soft drinks.

One that I see alot is Polar Cola and A&W root beer plus many smaller companies are taking over similar to micro breweries. Also many store brands are distributed by some of the companies I listed above.

The other point being is there are other choices. If the prices get too high, people will switch to another choice.

A&W is owned by Pepsi or maybe Coke. Polar a minute player. I know Seagrams makes a Gingerale.
What is the line of Colas that breweries have? Don't tell me to look it up!
If price was the deciding factor, Publix and Winn Dixie Brands would be leaders.
Name one smaller company that comes close to competing with Coke or Pepsi.

Price is a factor - if the price of Pepsi and Coke were so high then people would resort to other brands even if they prefer Pepsi and Coke. For example if the price of Pepsi and Coke for an 8 oz can cost $10, I am sure no matter how much you loved your Coke you would buy the store brand.

Publix Brand .69, on sale, when close to expiration 2/1.00. Coke 1.49 when Pepsi is on promotion at .99. Next week when it's cokes turn at .99 and Pesi is 1.49. The prices aren't always .99, maybe 1.09.
I'm talking more about 2 ltr. bottles. I never buy cans at a supermarket just in a machine when needed.
Your comparison of an eight oz. of coke at $10, is ignorant. It's like sayting a loaf of bread is $10.

It isn't ignorance - for anyone reasonable person, they would understand I was making an extreme example so that even some one thick headed could understand. Apparently your head is thicker than most.

If it is easier for you to understand assume then a 2 liter bottle - size doesn't matter (at least for this example). If these companies were to fix prices in such a way that the price is unreasonable (i.e. the price is above the equilibrium price of supply and demand), then people would choice another product if available even if they prefer Coke or Pepsi.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:37 pm
parados wrote:
snookered wrote:

Price fixing is a monopoly tactic. With a monopoly you could charge $10 a can because there would be no other choice. With price fixing, all the manufacturers would charge $10 a can because they have conspired to act like a monopoly.

And you also have to consider that Coke and Pepsi are not your only choices for beverages. There are juices, a variety of water type drinks, etc. Coke and Pepsi are not a necessity and there are several products that are reasonably substituted.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:40 pm
Linkat wrote:
Coke and Pepsi are not a necessity and there are several products that are reasonably substituted.

Yeah, like Faygo Rock n' Rye!

(hooked on that that last few weeks....) Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:55 pm
Or with Moxie Cola!
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:00 pm
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

Marketing is sophisticated for Coke and Pepsi, that's why they take turns having sales.

I've seen it.

Here.

http://www.farmerjack.com/images/circulars/0412_du2lc0r3d311/FMJ_041207_S_05_FJHBR.jpg

Target

The sales (as someone else said) are set by the stores to bring people in. Not by Coke or Pepsi.

OK, for the last time. As I said before, I excluded stores such as pharmacies. SUPERMARKETS, SUPERMARKETS SUPERMARKETS....Pepsi and Coke set the prices and sales days, this is called a silent agreement or contract. It's great marketing, but that is why it is illegal to "price fix." They stock the shelves and pay dearly for the shelf space. The are always at the opposite end of the isle.

No I was able to bring it up. I believe it was a pharmacy or a small chain of some sort.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:08 pm
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

I've seen it.

Here.

Target

No I was able to bring it up. I believe it was a pharmacy or a small chain of some sort.

Well I was able to bring it up too and here is the description....

"Farmer Jack is a 67-store supermarket chain in southeastern Michigan. "

Sounds like a grocery store to me.

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Jack
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:21 pm
snookered wrote:

And the other is Target. You do know what a Target is right?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:33 pm
snookered wrote:
parados wrote:
snookered wrote:

$10 for a can of coke is an example of what? Monopolies? Good thing the United State has a Free market system to prevent monopolies.
Actually, it is a regulated market that prevents monopolies. A completely free market tends to move toward monopolies. Why do you think the SEC has to approve mergers of large corporations? It is to prevent monopolies.
Quote:

The example of Coke and Pepsi is an example of CONTROLLING a market. Price fixing is an attempt to monopolize a by one company. With Coke and Pepsi it is probably an attempt to monopolize in concert with a unwritten agreement. In other words they both realize that neither one of them could monopolize the other, and perhaps this alternating sales and common price increase just fell in place without any forethought.

It seems you like to throw around phrases when you have no idea what they mean. You claimed "price fixing" when you started this thread with 2 companies being complicit. Now you state price fixing is an attempt by one company. Then you claim coke and pepsi realize they can't monopolize each other. In the marketplace you don't monopolize a competitor, you monopolize the market.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:51 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

And the other is Target. You do know what a Target is right?

good lord, this is ridiculous....a small chain of some sort?

ok, now it's not good enough it's a supermarket, it's got to be a particular size?

I think snookered is ready only every 3rd or 4th post, from the way he's putting this together.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:21 pm
I coulda swore that back a ways, I was told that after I answered how Coke and Pepsi marketed, I was to be edu-ma-kaded on why I was wrong.

Still waiting.....
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:44 pm
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

I've seen it.

Here.

Target

Well I was able to bring it up too and here is the description....

"Farmer Jack is a 67-store supermarket chain in southeastern Michigan. "

Sounds like a grocery store to me.

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Jack

I meant the add itself. The add (not coupon) was for canned coke. I buy 2 ltr and have observed this action for years.
No need for you to respond.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
Parados wrote;
[/quote] Actually, it is a regulated market that prevents monopolies. A completely free market tends to move toward monopolies. Why do you think the SEC has to approve mergers of large corporations? It is to prevent It seems you like to throw around phrases when you have no idea what they mean. You claimed "price fixing" when you started this thread with 2 companies being complicit. Now you state price fixing is an attempt by one company. Then you claim coke and pepsi realize they can't monopolize each other. In the marketplace you don't monopolize a competitor, you monopolize the market.[/quote]

SEC is the Security Exchange Commission. They are more concerned with Utilities, Stock Market and yes VERY BIG COMPANIES who want to merge when it is obvious it would be to the detriment of the consumer.
I didn't say it had to be two companies, I said in this case it was Coke and Pepsi. One company can ATTEMPT to monopolize another company, which in this case coke and Pepsi realized neither one of them could.
Try to keep up. When you read something , don't take it out of context.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:31 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

excuse me snookered, look directly above my writing....

Above, is a circular from a S-U-P-E-R-M-A-R-K-E-T that has no C-O-U-P-O-N-S associated with it.

However, it is showing packs of C-O-K-E and P-E-P-S-I,
O-N S-A-L-E at the S-A-M-E T-I-M-E.

The above is called S-P-E-L-L-I-NG it out for you.

No need to respond Rolling Eyes

Maybe snookered should take his meds before posting again on this thread.
0 Replies