How can this NOT be Price Fixing

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:32 am
Yeah, snookered, even I knew Farmer Jack was a SUPERMARKET SUPERMARKET SUPERMARKET, and I don't live anywhere near Michigan.

My SUPERMARKETS SUPERMARKETS SUPERKETS run sales on coke and pepsi at the same time also.

And still I am curious as to why this obsession on soda, when it's clear that so many other products that are competitive with each other do the same thing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:55 am
Chai wrote:
Yeah, snookered, even I knew Farmer Jack was a SUPERMARKET SUPERMARKET SUPERMARKET, and I don't live anywhere near Michigan.

My SUPERMARKETS SUPERMARKETS SUPERKETS run sales on coke and pepsi at the same time also.

And still I am curious as to why this obsession on soda, when it's clear that so many other products that are competitive with each other do the same thing.

*snicker*
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:59 am
Chai wrote:
Interesting malek

what is it you do?

Nowadays? Certainly not selling! I steer well clear of that, because I eventually came to hate it.
The many, many ways of getting someone to buy something seemed fascinating at first, but after a while I ended up seeing it for what it is. The scientific art of finely honed manipulation.
Sales people are a necessity in this world, as they keep industry ticking over and in a funny way, they keep prices down. It wasn't my bag though.

I could certainly tell you some things that'll make your hair curl.
I'll maybe save that for another day.....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:06 am
malek wrote:
Chai wrote:
Interesting malek

what is it you do?

Nowadays? Certainly not selling! I steer well clear of that, because I eventually came to hate it.
The many, many ways of getting someone to buy something seemed fascinating at first, but after a while I ended up seeing it for what it is. The scientific art of finely honed manipulation.
Sales people are a necessity in this world, as they keep industry ticking over and in a funny way, they keep prices down. It wasn't my bag though.

I could certainly tell you some things that'll make your hair curl.
I'll maybe save that for another day.....

ooohhhh....I'm tingling with anticipation.

Have you ever read any Augustin Burroughs, most famous for "Running With Scissors"?

He wrote another book called "Dry". He was in marketing at the time, maybe still is.

To be honest, his telling of a typical day/week was exactly how I pictured marketing anyway. They would basically horse around for days, then, with the deadline looming, they'd pull something ot of their ass and promote it to the client, making them think they'd work so hard. The client would pay oodles of money, then of course pass the cost to the customers who thought the marketing was so clever and original.

Malek, if you start a thread on the subject, I'd sure read it.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:38 am
I'll have a think about what I could put into such a thread, Chai, and maybe start one at the beginning of next week. The easter weekend looms at the moment and I have interesting plans ahead but I've got to make sure I've got all my stuff done between now and the end of the day.

Probably Tuesday, if I have some quiet time. I bet there are a few sales people here (or ex sales) who could contribute a few funny or interesting stories to such a thread. We'll see, eh?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:55 am
Chai wrote:
snookered

All different types of companies do this all the time.

You'll see Colgate and Crest toothpase on sale at the same time, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.

In fact, if you clip coupons from the newspaper you will notice that a coupon for a product will come the same time it is on sale at the store.

Or, the item will go on sale right as the coupon is about to expire.

It's competition.

Your wrong on every point. How old are you? It's not competion two top brands systematically alternate weeks when theyhave sales.
Your talking about coupons. jeeze.....
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:57 am
malek wrote:
I'll have a think about what I could put into such a thread, Chai, and maybe start one at the beginning of next week. The easter weekend looms at the moment and I have interesting plans ahead but I've got to make sure I've got all my stuff done between now and the end of the day.

Probably Tuesday, if I have some quiet time. I bet there are a few sales people here (or ex sales) who could contribute a few funny or interesting stories to such a thread. We'll see, eh?

If you need to think so hard about it, then your view will be as dumb as the rest.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:10 am
snookered wrote:
Chai wrote:
snookered

You'll see Colgate and Crest toothpase on sale at the same time, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc.

In fact, if you clip coupons from the newspaper you will notice that a coupon for a product will come the same time it is on sale at the store.

It's competition.

Your wrong on every point. How old are you? It's not competion two top brands systematically alternate weeks when theyhave sales.

What does my age have to do this this?

Could you explain where I am wrong on every point?

and why pick on this post of mine, have you not read past this?

Have you not read Bella's and my response? You seem to be caught in a very narrow view, and are blind to any response other than ones you can address with your simplistic arguments.

Also, I addressed coupons because you asserted their are no such things as manufacturers coupons on coke and pepsi, which is false.

I think your response to malek does speak volumes as to your maturity level, if not your chronological age.

In truth, if you have to think hard about something, you're more likely to come up with a well thought out response.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
Chai wrote:

ooohhhh....I'm tingling with anticipation.

Chai is tingling....everyone needs to back up, for your own safety, back up.

:wink:
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:15 am
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
snookered wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Some other cola companies:

Procter & Gamble
Cadbury Schweppes
Winn-Dixie
Hansen Natural
SABMiller
Heineken
A.S Watson
Asahi Breweries
Cott
Leading Brands
Polar

Let me repeat...There are two MAJOR Brands of Cola, Pepsi and Coke. These you mention don't amount to a hill of beans. The Leading Brands are these!
I have never heard of six of them. Four are beer breweries, unless they have a line of Coloas.
Where do you live and what do you consider leading brands?

Yes - they have a line of colas (breweries) - just because you do not recongnize the names - most sell under different brand names. Look up the company websites and you will see they also sell soft drinks.

One that I see alot is Polar Cola and A&W root beer plus many smaller companies are taking over similar to micro breweries. Also many store brands are distributed by some of the companies I listed above.

The other point being is there are other choices. If the prices get too high, people will switch to another choice.

A&W is owned by Pepsi or maybe Coke. Polar a minute player. I know Seagrams makes a Gingerale.
What is the line of Colas that breweries have? Don't tell me to look it up!
If price was the deciding factor, Publix and Winn Dixie Brands would be leaders.
Name one smaller company that comes close to competing with Coke or Pepsi.

Price is a factor - if the price of Pepsi and Coke were so high then people would resort to other brands even if they prefer Pepsi and Coke. For example if the price of Pepsi and Coke for an 8 oz can cost $10, I am sure no matter how much you loved your Coke you would buy the store brand.

Publix Brand .69, on sale, when close to expiration 2/1.00. Coke 1.49 when Pepsi is on promotion at .99. Next week when it's cokes turn at .99 and Pesi is 1.49. The prices aren't always .99, maybe 1.09.
I'm talking more about 2 ltr. bottles. I never buy cans at a supermarket just in a machine when needed.
Your comparison of an eight oz. of coke at $10, is ignorant. It's like sayting a loaf of bread is $10.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:22 am
snookered wrote:
malek wrote:

If you need to think so hard about it, then your view will be as dumb as the rest.

You're showing yourself to be a rude person, snookered. I have said nothing against you, and have contributed to your thread in nothing but a proper manner.
If you read my post properly, you would note that I don't have the time to start a thread today.
I also think that the creator of a new thread should think about how it is initially presented and also be prepared for possible dissent, then try to answer that dissent in a civilised way, otherwise there is no point to starting it in the first place, unless the author is just out there looking for someone to argue with. :wink:
I suggest that you stop showing yourself up by throwing unwarranted insults at the people here and take their comments on board. Unless you consider yourself to be 100% right all of the time, of course.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
I think snookered in cranked out on caffeine

Have you ever considered de-caf green tea?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:49 am
Chai wrote:
snookered wrote:
Chai wrote:
snookered

It's competition.

What does my age have to do this this?
Could you explain where I am wrong on every point?
and why pick on this post of mine, have you not read past this?
Have you not read Bella's and my response? You seem to be caught in a very narrow view, and are blind to any response other than ones you can address with your simplistic arguments.

Also, I addressed coupons because you asserted their are no such things as manufacturers coupons on coke and pepsi, which is false.

I think your response to malek does speak volumes as to your maturity level, if not your chronological age.

In truth, if you have to think hard about something, you're more likely to come up with a well thought out response.

I asked your age to get an idea of your experience level in Business and Marketing.

I don't know is Colgate and Crest of sales at the same time or not. There are so many brands of toothpaste that it doesn't compare to the simple question of Coke and Pepsi. I realize the competion is fierce with toothpastes. But not with Coke and Pepsi. They have found a way to avoid such fierce competition. Of course they don't have so many competitors either.

Go back and read. I said usually no coupons "other than Pharmacies and the like."

This is such an easy marketing question that long hard deep thought is not needed.

All types of companies, DON'T MARKET THE SAME.

Coupons may come out at the same time o0r not, so what?

Competition is when brands compete on there own merits, not take turns having sales and raising prices. Toothpaste has remained basicall at a level price. Coke and Pepsi have managed to raise their price 50% in less than a year.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:59 am
malek wrote:
snookered wrote:
malek wrote:

You're showing yourself to be a rude person, snookered. I have said nothing against you, and have contributed to your thread in nothing but a proper manner.
If you read my post properly, you would note that I don't have the time to start a thread today.
I also think that the creator of a new thread should think about how it is initially presented and also be prepared for possible dissent, then try to answer that dissent in a civilised way, otherwise there is no point to starting it in the first place, unless the author is just out there looking for someone to argue with. :wink:
I suggest that you stop showing yourself up by throwing unwarranted insults at the people here and take their comments on board. Unless you consider yourself to be 100% right all of the time, of course.

Sorry to be rude. But I'm so surprised at the lack of understanding of this simple marketing question is not understood.
Are you talking about a new topic or thread?
I have been answering these dissents for quite awhile. Frankly if more people like you did think more it would make it easier. How do you know my so called insults are unwarranted anyway?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:02 am
Chai wrote:
I think snookered in cranked out on caffeine

Have you ever considered de-caf green tea?

I drink one cup of coffe a day and decafinated drinks. You would't be trying to insult me would you?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:04 am
snookered wrote:

Sure they do. It's called the marketplace. In a particular catagory of products, the marketing is nearly universal across the board.

You promote your item to your demo. It's that simple.

Why YOU are making this so hard I don't know. Coke and Pepsi both market the same way. To WHO they market to might be different, but HOW they market is the same.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:04 am
snookered wrote:

Publix Brand .69, on sale, when close to expiration 2/1.00. Coke 1.49 when Pepsi is on promotion at .99. Next week when it's cokes turn at .99 and Pesi is 1.49. The prices aren't always .99, maybe 1.09.
I'm talking more about 2 ltr. bottles. I never buy cans at a supermarket just in a machine when needed.
Your comparison of an eight oz. of coke at $10, is ignorant. It's like sayting a loaf of bread is $10.
$10 a can was an example.
Price fixing is a monopoly tactic. With a monopoly you could charge $10 a can because there would be no other choice. With price fixing, all the manufacturers would charge $10 a can because they have conspired to act like a monopoly.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:10 am
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

Sure they do. It's called the marketplace. In a particular catagory of products, the marketing is nearly universal across the board.

Why YOU are making this so hard I don't know. Coke and Pepsi both market the same way. To WHO they market to might be different, but HOW they market is the same.

Give me an example not just denials. Then I will tell you why you are wron is this reply.
How does Pepsi and Coke Market?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:21 am
snookered wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
snookered wrote:

Give me an example not just denials. Then I will tell you why you are wron is this reply.
How does Pepsi and Coke Market?

Well, first of all my JOB is in advertising.

Second, I told you how they market. You pick your demo and you base your commercials, print ad, radio ads on what those people like or are passionate about. Coke and Pepsi are very similar and both market to the same types of people so if you covered the labels in the ads and took out all sound, you'd never know which was which. They make their product appeal to who they want to sell to and they gain the trust and loyalty of those people. Without loyalty, there are no repeat sales. Without repeat sales, the company goes under.

Cell phone companies; same. Cars; same within levels (luxury, SUV). Cleaning products; same.

Now why don't you tell us why you think that all companies market differently. And perhaps you should take a look at what you think marketing is.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:06 am
snookered wrote:
Sorry to be rude. But I'm so surprised at the lack of understanding of this simple marketing question is not understood.
Are you talking about a new topic or thread?
I have been answering these dissents for quite awhile. Frankly if more people like you did think more it would make it easier. How do you know my so called insults are unwarranted anyway?

Being that pretty much everyone that has replied to you has given examples from their own experience that contadict your claims and have even gone as far as to provide copies of ads that disprove your point perhaps it is you that fails to understand the marketing.
0 Replies