Brit Teachers Ignore Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:40 am
Hi miguelito, good to get your take.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 09:07 am
Miguelito, very pleased to meet you. I'd be very curious to hear a bit more about where you live and your take on tensions between Western Europeans and Muslims (isn't it funny though how all immigrants gradually became "Muslims".. and all Muslims have in turn become terrorists in our imaginations?).
What was the situation during the riots in Paris where you live? What are the employment and education opportunities for the young Muslims that you know. And for all youngsters from banlieu, I suppose. And...and...and so many things I'd love to ask... but perhaps that would be for a different thread. If you'd care to share your experiences in a separate thread, I'd be certainly all over it.
0 Replies

miguelito21

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:13 pm
Hi, im glad my post was of some interest. I wasn't sure because i really can't provide any statistics, or quote this or that study. My perception of this issue is mostly based on what i have personnaly experienced, or what ppl i know have experienced and told me about.

It's interesting to observe how this whole issue about relations between muslims and west europeans is now given a lot of attention in the media and in political debates, both here and in the US, but at the same time, we in the banlieue really dont care that much, we dont give it that much attention. We just have much greater issues to deal with (violence, unemployment, poor housing, ect ...), and we dont even consider this an issue to begin with (although there might be isolated incidents here and there)

For example, i was amazed that many (most?) US media portrayed the riots that happened as "muslim riots". thats when i began to realize the immense discrepancy between how the events were percieved here, and how they were percieved in the US.

There would be lots to say about this, but as you said it might fit better in another thread.

I would just say, to quote Public Ennemy, don't believe the hype Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:17 pm
miguelito21 wrote:
Hi, im glad my post was of some interest. I wasn't sure because i really can't provide any statistics, or quote this or that study. My perception of this issue is mostly based on what i have personnaly experienced, or what ppl i know have experienced and told me about.

It's interesting to observe how this whole issue about relations between muslims and west europeans is now given a lot of attention in the media and in political debates, both here and in the US, but at the same time, we in the banlieue really dont care that much, we dont give it that much attention. We just have much greater issues to deal with (violence, unemployment, poor housing, ect ...), and we dont even consider this an issue to begin with (although there might be isolated incidents here and there)

For example, i was amazed that many (most?) US media portrayed the riots that happened as "muslim riots". thats when i began to realize the immense discrepancy between how the events were percieved here, and how they were percieved in the US.

There would be lots to say about this, but as you said it might fit better in another thread.

I would just say, to quote Public Ennemy, don't believe the hype Laughing

Well, here or another thread, we would love to hear what you have to say about the riots and your experiences generally!!!
0 Replies

miguelito21

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:59 pm
Aahh those riots ... good times eh ... hehe j/k

what to say about them ... there'd be lots to say about them, depending on which issue one wishes to adress.

On the "europeans/muslims" relations, i'm confident enough to say it outright : it had nothing, and i mean nothing, to do with it.

I find it really hard to find the exact roots of the riots, because in order to do so, we have to look at socio-economical factors, but also at individual and group psychology, and personnally i'm not qualified to delve into this aspect.

However, I think it's fair to say the riots were like an explosion.

Years, even decades, of failed, or limited integration in the french "decent" society, high unemployment (in France, the youngs are disproportionately affected, and young immigrants or young sons or grandsons of immigrants even more) and the subsequent lack of opportunities, or percieved lack thereof, rampant racism and discrimination, particularily for jobs and housing, ect ...

all that formed an explosive combination if you will, and the deaths of the two youngsters in conditions that were dubious at best, added to the reluctance to shed light on the event were the spark that made it explode.

At least thats how i understood it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:22 pm
miguelito21 wrote:
On the "europeans/muslims" relations, i'm confident enough to say it outright : it had nothing, and i mean nothing, to do with it.

Thanks, miguelito.

That only confirms what I've learnt during my talks with students just days (actually: hours) before those riots started.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:55 pm
miguelito21 wrote:
Aahh those riots ... good times eh ... hehe j/k

what to say about them ... there'd be lots to say about them, depending on which issue one wishes to adress.

I find it really hard to find the exact roots of the riots, because in order to do so, we have to look at socio-economical factors, but also at individual and group psychology, and personnally i'm not qualified to delve into this aspect.

However, I think it's fair to say the riots were like an explosion.

Years, even decades, of failed, or limited integration in the french "decent" society, high unemployment (in France, the youngs are disproportionately affected, and young immigrants or young sons or grandsons of immigrants even more) and the subsequent lack of opportunities, or percieved lack thereof, rampant racism and discrimination, particularily for jobs and housing, ect ...

all that formed an explosive combination if you will, and the deaths of the two youngsters in conditions that were dubious at best, added to the reluctance to shed light on the event were the spark that made it explode.

At least thats how i understood it.

Tell us more!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 01:47 am
Coming back to the original topic ...

Quote:

T.E.A.C.H Teaching Emotive and Controversial History 3-19

The Department for Education and Skills has funded the Historical Association to produce a report called "Teaching emotive and controversial History 3 - 19" (TEACH 3-19).

The National Curriculum for History and GCSE and A-level History qualifications often include areas of study that touch on social, cultural, religious and ethnic fault lines within and beyond Britain. Such areas of study include the Transatlantic Slave Trade, the Holocaust and aspects of Islamic history. These areas are sometimes avoided by teachers to steer away from controversy in the classroom.

The way such past events are perceived and understood in the present can stir emotions and controversy within and across communities. The Historical Association's report will gather examples of effective teaching that deals with emotive and controversial history in schools across all key stages from the ages of 3 to 19. This will allow us to obtain a comprehensive view of current best practice in teaching these and similar issues. It will recommend proven and successful approaches that enable teachers to tackle these issues in ordinary lessons through rigorous and engaging teaching while at the same time challenging discrimination and prejudice. One of the strengths of the project is that it will link together work in the classroom with historians in HE who are working in these controversial areas, thus combining practical classroom experience with the latest academic research.

But what makes an emotive and controversial issue? Is it something personal that resonates with an individual or their own experiences? Or is it an event of such magnitude that it in itself is hard to accept, like the Holocaust? Or one that somehow involves unfairness? Of course we, as history teachers, can approach almost any topic in a controversial manner, by turning it into a series of conflicting opinions and views. But because we choose to make an issue controversial by our approach to teaching it does not in itself make that topic or issue controversial.

The project has appointed five researchers who are looking at the way we approach the teaching of controversial issues in each Key Stage. The researchers are Penelope Harnett [Foundation and KSt1], Helena Gillespie [KSt2] Michael Riley, [KSt3] Richard Harris [KSt4] and Alison Webb [KSt5]. We are looking for case studies and examples. If you would like to contribute to the project, or know of colleagues who you think are teaching these topics and issues well, and who might be happy to talk about this, then please do get in touch with us - [email protected] and we will forward details to the relevant researcher. They are looking for examples of good practice that are specific to each Key Stage, but also for common threads and themes, so that perhaps we can make comparisons and reach conclusions on some of the best ways to enrich history teaching and learning through controversial and emotive issues.

For the full report please follow this link:

http://www.haevents.org.uk/PastEvents/Others/Teach%20report.pdf
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 01:47 am
http://i3.tinypic.com/2ylok5z.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/2jb6xix.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:27 pm
Good work, Walter.

This leaves us with the question of whether or not the incidents referred to in the titular article are isolated instances, and evidence of a trend.
0 Replies