Italy minister quits over remarks

frolic

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:03 pm
Stefani has opened a new attack on Shröder in person. He stated that if Shröder had a sense of humor or some intelligence he wouldn't have responded the way he did.

And when asked if he thinks many Germans will cancell their stay in Italy he answered: "Only an idiot would do such thing"

Stefani legt noch einmal nach =>looking for an English link for our non-german speaking friends.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:11 pm
Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi has called for a line to be drawn under the dispute between Rome and Berlin, following the resignation of a minister who insulted German tourists.

Italy calls halt to war of words

Seems like Stefani didn't get the message ( Arrow prev. posting)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:53 pm
Rimini, isn't that where Amarcord was made?? Fellini's hometown?
I may be mixing it up with another place.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 03:31 am
a link i found in my mailbox

what to say when on holiday?: online german/italian travel dictionary

use at your own risk! Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 05:45 am
I think, my Latin would do better than this Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 12:22 pm
Wonder if Prodi has been interviewed on this...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 12:51 pm
ossobuco

Prodi said nothing to this - publically in interviews, as far as I remember.

But a kind of commenatry (on a slightly [sic!]) different topic of him as expressed here:
Commission: no reaction to Berlusconi's new idea
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 02:40 pm
to put it mildly, Prodi and Berlusconi's aren't friends.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 02:46 pm
Right. That's why I'd like to hear his comment...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
Not that I am sure he should comment to the press in the heat of this scene. He has, in my opinion, more gravitas.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:00 am
and the fight continues.

Quote:
German MEP brands Italy 'racist'
A German politician whose clash with the Italian prime minister set off a diplomatic row has labelled the Italian Government "racist".
Martin Schulz was compared earlier this month by Silvio Berlusconi to a Nazi concentration camp guard - sparking a major exchange of insults between politicians and media in both countries.

Now, in an interview with Germany's XXP television, Mr Schulz has reignited the row as it showed signs of dying down.

He condemned reported proposals by an Italian minister that coastguards should fire on boats bringing illegal immigrants to the country.
"This is the second point that we have to watch - that, quite simply, a racist government is in office in Italy," Mr Schulz said.

Mr Schulz originally angered Mr Berlusconi by heckling him in the European Parliament him about legislation that provided him with immunity from prosecution, and led to the suspension of a bribery trial.

His tactics prompted Mr Berlusconi's "Nazi" jibe.
In the row which followed, Italian tourism minister Stefano Stefani described German tourists as "hyper-nationalistic blondes", prompting Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder to cancel a holiday in Italy.

Mr Stefani resigned at the end of last week after fears that thousands of German tourists might join the chancellor's boycott.

He said he had not been referring to all Germans - only those "like Mr Schulz".

The comment that coastguards should fire on immigrant boats was allegedly made by Mr Berlusconi's coalition partner, Umberto Bossi, head of the far-right Northern League, although he later said he had been misquoted.

Mr Stefani is also a member of the Northern League.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/3068645.stm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
And Stefani told the German tabloid 'Bild': You can't print, what I think about him" [Schulz].

link to SPIEGEL articel (in German)
0 Replies