Learning without a teacher

coberst

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 01:37 pm
Learning without a teacher

Science informs us that we are creatures who have evolved over a period of billions of years. Our human nature has many traits, all of which are the products of these years of evolution.

I suspect that every trait we have can prove to be both positive and negative to our welfare depending upon our understanding, personality, character and how we nurture those traits. It seems to me that our task is to learn what these traits of nature are and, as much as possible, "to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative".

Two characteristic traits of human nature that I would like to dwell upon are our inclination to acquire and to know.

It is easy enough to understand our acquisitive nature, without it we, like the squirrels, would not survive the winter. I find that our desire to know requires a little more effort to comprehend.

The Greek philosopher Socrates admonished his fellows that "the unexamined life is not worth living". I think that he had discovered a very important aspect of our innate desire to know and wished to inform all of his fellows of that insight. For his efforts his fellows decided he was "corrupting the youth" and he was required to drink a cup of hemlock.

Aristotle, Plato's pupil, begins one of his books with "all men by nature desire to know". He went on to express his conclusion that knowledge is an end in itself. He says that not only is knowledge a good in itself but that knowledge is the highest end of human achievement.

I am convinced that virtually every mature adult can learn to understand the meaning of these claims but no individual can be taught to understand their meaning.

I shall repeat my last sentence. I am convinced that virtually every mature adult can learn to understand the meaning of these claims but no individual can be taught to understand their meaning.

What do I mean by such an unseemly statement? I conclude that there is a fundamental difference between being taught something and in being a self-learner of something.

To be taught indicates a relationship between a teacher and a pupil. In such a learning mode the pupil understands that the subject matter is to be learned because the teacher is teaching it. A teacher teaches pupils that which the teacher knows and desires the pupil to know. Only as a self-learner will I seek and find disinterested knowledge.

Understanding the meaning of the words of these two philosophers is a slowly developing reality. The self-learner must assimilate much through self-learning to reach this degree of understanding. I like to use the analogy of creating a work of art using papier-mâché. Not only is the object formed slowly piece by piece but the object is created in every way during the forming process.

When I am doing "self-learning" and when I speak so favorable about self-learning I am speaking of disinterested learning i.e. learning only for the sake of knowing. I self-learn so that I might gain knowledge for the sake of knowing and understanding. Self-learning can produce knowledge that is a value in and of it. Self-study for the purpose of accomplishing some task does not qualify as disinterested learning.

It seems to me that our culture has corrupted education to be only a means for acquisition to such an extent that it has totally masked the nature and process of disinterested learning. In our quest for more material things we have narrowed the meaning of education to such a point that all education, all learning, is merely a means to an end. We learn so as to become more efficient acquirers. We do not even comprehend why one might seek disinterested knowledge. We do not even comprehend the nature of disinterested knowledge.

[Questions for discussion]

Do you think serious self-learning after schooling is complete is important?

Why is learning "disinterested knowledge" important?

Do our schools teach students to understand or just to know?

Can a person learn serious domains of knowledge without a teacher?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 544 • Replies: 3
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 02:20 pm
I'm being taught about how people learn - I'm in school getting a master's in elementary ed.

I didn't read your post except for the questions and for definitions of terms you used therein.

Do you think serious self-learning after schooling is complete is important?
Yes.

Why is learning "disinterested knowledge" important?
Because when you learn something new, you remember it by connecting it to prior knowledge. For example, when a child learns the basics about the water cycle in 1st or 2nd grade, she associates the new information with what she already knows about rain and clouds and rivers, etc. When she learns more detail about the water cycle in, say, 4th or 5th grade, she connects to all the previous knowledge she has gathered up to date.

So, the more info you know, even if it seems irrelevant when you learn it, the more options you'll have for making connection when you learn something new in the future.

Depends on the school. Most public schools are guided by the No Child Left Behind act and the standardized testing that goes with it. Schools which are under-scoring are under more pressure to teach just what the students MUST know for the tests. The tendency is to then slip back into classical teaching styles: lecture, rote memorization, etc.

The push in schools that teach teachers is for us to use methods that allow students to understand so that they truly can know. It involves the ideas of prior knowledge as mentioned above. It also advocates for teaching students critical thinking and problem solving skills which aid in understanding in the classroom AND BEYOND.

Can a person learn serious domains of knowledge without a teacher?I think so. But, it would work best if that person started with the basics and took each new study in a proper order. It would involve lots of reflection. Theories and experiments would probably be necessary. I think that as an educated person, who knows how to learn already, one can teach one's self a new field of study. But, maybe the books you'd read would equate to teachers?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:58 pm
You might find Foucault's History of Sexuality an interesting read. Foucault claims that there is no such thing as "disinterested knowledge," that all knowledge is implicated in power relations (i.e. the attempt of one party to impose a certain framework of understanding upon another), and that those who claim knowledge can be disinterested are invariably the ones most ideologically committed to an underlying agenda.

Foucault aside, it is surely an exaggeration to say

Quote:
We do not even comprehend why one might seek disinterested knowledge. We do not even comprehend the nature of disinterested knowledge.

Who is this "we"? If you're worried that "we" are undervaluing "knowledge for its own sake," you could easily put your mind at ease by talking to any number of graduate students, especially in the humanities, and asking them what the term "ivory tower" means. It might renew your faith in the continuing vitality of the (quintessentially Romantic) pursuit of disinterested knowledge.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 04:16 am
<b>Sarah Connor</b> wrote:
I'm being taught about how people learn - I'm in school getting a master's in elementary ed.

I didn't read your post except for the questions and for definitions of terms you used therein.

Depends on the school. Most public schools are guided by the No Child Left Behind act and the standardized testing that goes with it. Schools which are under-scoring are under more pressure to teach just what the students MUST know for the tests. The tendency is to then slip back into classical teaching styles: lecture, rote memorization, etc.

The push in schools that teach teachers is for us to use methods that allow students to understand so that they truly can know. It involves the ideas of prior knowledge as mentioned above. It also advocates for teaching students critical thinking and problem solving skills which aid in understanding in the classroom AND BEYOND.

Can a person learn serious domains of knowledge without a teacher?I think so. But, it would work best if that person started with the basics and took each new study in a proper order. It would involve lots of reflection. Theories and experiments would probably be necessary. I think that as an educated person, who knows how to learn already, one can teach one's self a new field of study. But, maybe the books you'd read would equate to teachers?
0 Replies