A S&R debate seize-fire

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:35 pm
Someone recently posted that the difference between them and myself was that I required a certain degree of evidence to feel comfort in what I believe.

I think that's a fair statement.

I certainly post my skeptisism about Christianity, Islam, and Judism, but I don't think less of those people. I think it's fair to expect that they don't think less of me. For the most part, I really haven't had to deal with offensive people in tis forum, save theose who can't handle what I propose, and those who wish to tell me I'm a mixed race attocity.

I feel it's time to slow down the debate and just look at the big picture.

This forum is certainly full of many passionate people. People with a wide variety of ideas and education. While I don't ever expect to change another person's point of view, it's still valuable to me to experiance another person's outlook on life.

For whatever reasons we hold our ideas sacred, we certainly show our fangs when they are challenged. Whether you are a theist, atheist, or other, I hope that you appricite the diversity of ideas.

While argueming on the internet may seem like an eternal stalemate, I think of how this kind of opportunity to discuss topics was such a rare find even 10 years ago.

My point.... no point really. At minimum, I'm just pleased that I'm able to talk to people with different ideas so easily. It's much easier to surround yourself with "yes-people" or others that will only agree with you. It does say something for yourself to come to a place and exchange information/thoughts/ideas with others who may not.

So just for fun. Leave a messege here to say thanks to the people who you argue with regularly. They take the time to read your posts, and argue back.

what a grand army of stubborn fools we become when we don't appriciate our antogonists.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,754 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:38 pm
I'll start.

I'm sorry to all the Christians I post to. I pride myself on my wit, and it can come off rude sometimes. I'm actually quite an amiable person, I'd hate to be reguarded as else. Please excuse my aggressive methods of reason.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:39 pm
I personally wanna thank Gus Ratzenhofer for making me look downright hunky.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:02 pm
Yeah, thanks everybody. I haven't been doing this long and I've certainly learned some things. :wink:

Good idea Diest, but no reason to ask pardon for agressive reasoning.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:05 pm
I wanna than Diest TKO for making my spelling look good
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:37 pm
farmerman wrote:

!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:44 pm
I appreciate the thought. Disagree without disagreeableness. It's certainly something to strive for...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
Diest, I read a bit in the spirituality and religion forum. I've never seen you be rude.

Thanks to those conservatives and christians who help me hone my beliefs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
farmerman wrote:

Hmmm.....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:18 pm
"A S&R debate seize-fire"

Is that what happens when one's full-auto wit refuses to fire?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:25 pm
Tko i see no need for you to apologize. So far, in our discussions you have been respectful and nice. For the most part, those i encounter in here are also. I just hope i can do the same. Very Happy
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:57 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
farmerman wrote:

!

Diest TKO,
Did you intend to write "cease" rather than "seize"?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:01 pm
I'm an engineer, not a good speeller though.

It's not an excuse by any means but instead a funny character bit about myself. I mean what good about being a wordsmith if you can't spell. It's ironic and funny I say.

so yeah.... cease...

I'm crap without spell check. lol.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 04:53 am
deit, Im just jacking you a bit. Im a scientist, and therelevant difference between scientists and engineers (among many) is that, you use spell check, I just type at a stream of consciousness level and never go back to correct my calcs Very Happy .

Ive been participating in many of the past Evolution threads that I seem to have been type-cast. I find that many of the "oppressively devout" have an almost unreal ability to sustain two opposing scientific viewpoints and to do this with brash openness.
For example, one or two individuals are quite impressed at that forensic tool that DNA typing has provided to criminology, but, at the same time they refurse to look at the "common descent" implications that DNA seems to settle. They are quite convinced about DNA's applications but refse to consider the implications.
I sometimes lose my cool over it but never AT the person. I picture them more as a kid in class whose been family trained by years of Sunday schools and Grandmas lectures. Ill never get anywhere with them by being thoughtlessly rude.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:06 pm
Common descent perhaps. Or perhaps common designer.

Oops, wrong thread. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:14 pm
Anyone who doesn't completely agree with me is a brainless twit, and i refuse to surrender my right to point that out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
By the way: twat, twet, twit, twot, twut--not all vowels are equal.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
I've always thought of Setanta as a brainless twit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
I've always thought of gerogeob1 as a unrecovered catholic.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:57 pm
Well that's probably more true than my comment about Setanta.
0 Replies