australia and their response to communism

j smack

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:29 pm
can anyone give me a brief overview of the understanding of what australia's resonse was to the threat of communism in asia after WW2
korean war?
anzus treaty?
SEATO alliance?
thanks Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 21,180 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 04:22 am
Australia in the 20th Century:

Working historically

Programming for Stage 5 History

Available at any good bookshop

Mark Anderson

Paul Ashton

ISBN: 0 7329 9271 0

Programming Stage 5 History Australia in the 20th Century: Working historically

5.1 How and why did the Australian government respond to the threat of communism after World War II?

Communism, capitalism and the Cold War. Page 192
The Korean War. Page 194
The ANZUS Treaty. Page 196
SEATO. Page 198
The response to communism within Australia: attempts to ban the Communist Party. Page 199
The Petrov Affair. Page 204

I highly recommend this tome.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:35 am
Reds under the beds was a catch cry in the 50's, Sir Robert Menzies was prime minister at the time.

Quote:
In 1950 Menzies introduced the Communist Party Dissolution Bill which gave power to the government to publicly declare any citizen a Communist and to bar him or her from holding office in a range of public organisations, including trade unions.

The act was contested in the High Court where it was declared unconstitutional. Menzies then sought power to outlaw the Communist Party through a referendum in September 1951.

The Referendum to amend the Constitution giving the Commonwealth the power to ban communism was defeated. Labour leader HV (Doc) Evatt led the campaign.

The Petrov affair
Quote:
Cold War tensions were heightened by the 1954 defection of two staff members of the Soviet embassy in Canberra - Vladimir and Evdokia Petrov.

The Opposition accused Menzies and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) of manipulating the Petrov case for the political advantage of the coalition parties.

Heres a link that might yield some information
http://www.australiansatwar.gov.au/throughmyeyes/ko_toh.asp
0 Replies

anton

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:11 pm
President L.B. Johnson warned us of the domino effect if Communism took hold in Vietnam, he said the communists would annex SE Asia before moving down to Indonesia and Australia. Our Government believed the propaganda and sent young Australians to their deaths in Vietnam, the rest is history.

Our Administrators must be slow learners because they listened to Bush regime propaganda and sent our young people to Iraq and Afghanistan, but I am sure the Australian people will never let that happen again.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:13 pm
They created Foster's Lager and foisted it upon the world.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:39 pm
fishin wrote:
They created Foster's Lager and foisted it upon the world.

Yeah sorry about that. Fosters larger is not even popular here.

I ran the bar at a local shindig selling literally a truck load of beer. Our order was for 10 slabs of fosters 10 slabs of Melbourne bitter and 50 slabs of Victoria bitter.At the end we still had 5 slabs of fosters left over and sold out of VB. As far as I could make out only overseas tourists were drinking fosters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:29 am
anton wrote:
President L.B. Johnson warned us of the domino effect if Communism took hold in Vietnam, he said the communists would annex SE Asia before moving down to Indonesia and Australia. Our Government believed the propaganda and sent young Australians to their deaths in Vietnam, the rest is history.

Our Administrators must be slow learners because they listened to Bush regime propaganda and sent our young people to Iraq and Afghanistan, but I am sure the Australian people will never let that happen again.

This is false. The "domino theory" was first used by Harry Truman to justify intervention in Greece in 1947, although he did not call it that. Dwight Eisenhower first coined the expression in 1954, ten years before Johnson, as President, expanded the American commitment in southeast Asia. Eisenhower said: ""You have a row of dominoes set up, you knock over the first one, and what will happen to the last one is certainty that it will go over very quickly."--and he was specifically referring to the effect of communist-backed national liberation movements in what had been French Indochina. Australian military advisers first arrived in the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) in 1962, when John Kennedy was President. The involvement of Australian troops in Vietnam, although on a much smaller scale, mirrors the American experience of sending advisers, and a gradual expansion until finally the situation reached the proportions of full-scale war after the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution in 1964, when Johnson was President.

This site at Trinity College, Western Australia is a page of links to lots of good information on Australian involvement in Vietnam.
0 Replies

LN B-RYS

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:57 pm
@j smack,
there was a fear of asian communism in australia and communism was evil/seen as bad and everyone thought that communism needed to be confronted.
but i'm still trying to find out the rest.
seeya dude Smile
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 12:12 am
@LN B-RYS,
Quote:
there was a fear of asian communism in australia and communism was evil/seen as bad and everyone thought that communism needed to be confronted.

Crikey!
I wish I had time to respond - but I don't right now, so ......
LN B-RYS

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 12:37 am
@msolga,
can you tell me some stuff i need to know for history. please dude.
i know basically everything i need to know but i just need them to all link together. what is the moratorium movement, when in the timeline does it appear??
Thanks if you can be to my assistance.
jessica123

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:41 am
@LN B-RYS,
The Moratorium movement is when they had a protest against the war in Vietnam, the first moratorium march was in May 1970, we have a booklet given to us about the vietnam war, for the school certificate.
0 Replies