Sex, religion and Politics a step further

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
Phoenix posed and interesting question concerning the issue of dicscussions on these topics often becoming heated.

Today on the mower the question came to me "Why do we discuss religion in the first place?" By in large, a great number of the posts revolve around the issues of "Does God exist?" and "Why do you Believe?". Then the discussion often follows a pre-ordained route with little or no resolution. Yet we contionue. I understand discussions that discuss comparative religious issues and discussions that focus on the interpratation of a specific passage or issue. But, has anyone, in other general discussions, ever changed their point of view or belief systems. Has anyone become more sophisticated in their religious views or noticably more tolorent of the views of others? Has anyone reached nirvana? Do we simply enter the front door, talk and leave through the back unchanged and no wiser for the experience?

Just a thought. Comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,627 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
morganwood, I think most people that believe in the religions stick with them for the rest of their lives. Very few of us will change from one religion to another or become agnostic or atheist. The only time I've seen people change their religion is when one potential spouse is strong on their religion and insist that the family practice one religion. I have changed from Buddhist to Christianity to athiest. I will not have any more changes in my 'belief' for the rest of my life. c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 05:55 pm
Morganwood, it will take a greater mind than mine to answer your first question. I suspect you already have answers to the others.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:00 pm
because everyone is curious about everyone else.( I'm right and I wonder how anyone could think differently)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:08 pm
Because it is there!!!

Why not!!!

Because!!!!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:13 pm
Quote:
"Why do we discuss religion in the first place?"

If I didn't discuss religion, I wouldn't have anything to argue with frank about!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:26 pm
I like your new avatar, Max, but I do miss the old one.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:04 pm
I think it may be different for some. I believe some people love to argue. Once in a blue moon I even like a good arguement. Then there are the one's who actually think they can change other peoples beliefs. Then there's the I'm right thing that Dyslexia mentions.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:06 pm
Max
Great avatar. Who are you running away from? That better not be my purse you're running away with!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:55 pm
Looks like a shetland pony. Wink
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:44 pm
late for an appointment...........

(as usual!)
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:16 pm
Quote:
Has anyone become more sophisticated in their religious views or noticably more tolorent of the views of others?

Yes.

I call frank far fewer names than I have previously.
0 Replies