The Dangers of Blind Faith

Extropy

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:41 am
Blind faith can be false, and can be destructive. Worse is that it persists, that if it is false and/or destructive, that people continue to do these bad things. The ability to change is very important, in that it allows improvement upon previous beliefs, and replacement with better beliefs. This is important because humans are falliable, and humans do err.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,422 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:34 pm
Welcome to A2K Extropy. I imagine everyone agrees with you. Nobody thinks their own faith is blind. Did you have a question about what you posted?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:45 pm
Come down off your throne and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason I've been waiting so long.
Somebody holds the key.

But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.

Come down on your own and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years.
Somebody holds the key.

(Blind Faith, Stevie Winwood and Eric Clapton, Can't Find My Way Home, 1969)
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:51 pm
When I was younger I lived on blind faith. As I've gotten older, much less so. Blind faith requires a certain energy level, being carefree.

Oh, and welcome.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 06:55 pm
All faith is blind.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:02 pm
Yep...by definition.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:30 am
I'd propose that Faith is null of all senses, not just sight. To the faithful, our words are equally rejected.

blind and deaf.

Faith doens't speak for itself either. It requires the voice of others.

and mute to the list and Faith is just dumb.

(I seriously hope the a2k croud gets that reference.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 02:38 am
What Greyfan and Eorl said.
0 Replies

Extropy

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:07 pm
Eorl, I did not, but why is that relevant? Every time I use something that I think, I am not questioning it every time. Only when there is doubt cast upon my beliefs do I consider it. Otherwise, I would waste time all day wondering if my chair really exists or not, or whether 1+1=2 instead of 3. Just because I am not questioning a belief right now does not mean that the case is closed. (On the other hand, blind faith means that the case is closed.)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:43 pm
Faith, in the context in which we are discussing it, means accepting something as true without, or even contrary to, the available evidence. In fact, plenty of Christians actually take pride in demonstrating the strength of their faith in the light of all the evidence to the contrary.

To assume a chair is "solid" is not a matter of faith in the same way. All the evidence of science, history and personal experience tell us that the chair is, for practical purposes, solid, and it is logical to assume that it will be the same tomorrow.

Plenty of people have tried to justify their extreme leaps of religious faith by supposing that every thought requires a similar illogical extreme process. It's a furphy (ain't true).

I think you'd like to have your cake and eat it too. You think some degree of religious faith is OK, but faith you don't share, you call "blind faith". Am I right?
0 Replies

Extropy

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:54 pm
Your first clause of the second-to-last sentence inaccurate.

For the said reasons, no degree of religious faith is good. On the other hand, religion is okay. It is just religious faith that is not okay. The people who think that religion can be founded upon reason may or may not be accurate, but it is the fact that dogmatism is lacking that is enough to say that it is not a bad thing, because they are able to admit mistakes if any are made.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 10:15 am
'Religion' without faith is meaningless. There are, of course, plenty of people who go to church without actually believing (or practcing) any of the things their church tells them (and instructs them to practice). In these cases religion becomes a social venue, no more. I agree, Extropy, that there is no harm in this. But I find it a little silly and, certainly, hypocritical.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:22 am
Eorl wrote:
Faith, in the context in which we are discussing it, means accepting something as true without, or even contrary to, the available evidence. In fact, plenty of Christians actually take pride in demonstrating the strength of their faith in the light of all the evidence to the contrary. . . .
What you have defined is credulity. Faith is something altogether different.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 03:15 pm
neologist wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Faith, in the context in which we are discussing it, means accepting something as true without, or even contrary to, the available evidence. In fact, plenty of Christians actually take pride in demonstrating the strength of their faith in the light of all the evidence to the contrary. . . .
What you have defined is credulity. Faith is something altogether different.

Could you elaborate on that a bit, neo? How, exactly, is faith different from mere credulity?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:06 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Greyfan wrote:
All faith is blind.

Yep...by definition.

What Greyfan and Eorl said.

I suppose if you make up the definition yourself, then that could be.

But if you use a standard dictionary, you'll notice that 'all faith' is not defined the same way.

'Belief' , which is listed as a synonym of 'faith', is defined several ways including:

from http://www.merriam.com/dictionary/faith
Quote:
conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:27 am
Quote:

conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

More proof that Religions faith is blind. Religions do not base their faith on evidence.

You've put yourself in the corner. You've argued to many times that God does not need to leave evidence. So what is you faith based on?
0 Replies