Is there such thing as a "World Religions" teacher?

Cobbler

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:58 pm
I don't have one in my school, but a friend in Canada told me that he now has a World Religions teacher..

Are these common? I would like to major in Theology if I could become a Religion teacher.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 9
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:09 pm
Wouldn't that be the same as comparative religion?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:11 pm
Google John Huston Smith.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:12 pm
Google Huston Smith (not JOHN Huston Smith).
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 02:05 am
I think it's a sensational idea for this day and age! The US and allies are going into countries where conflicts are based on religious beliefs.
The world is at our fingertips; we should learn about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 07:34 am
They've been teaching 'world religions' as a high school course (in Canada) since at least the early 1970's.

Similar to how I understand 'comparative religions' - but much more focus on the history/development vs religious belief side of things.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:14 am
They could also throw in courses on sociology, anthropology, geography, history, political systems, psychology, philosopjy, world literature, and art and music.
But when there is political pressure to advance education, all that is added are math courses--to prepare people for their future roles in industry, not for their roles as effective (sophisticated, critical, enlightened) members of democratic societies.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:14 pm
EhBeth, that's interesting. Is it the same in all the provinces?

JL, some of the courses may be offered as electives already. It would be difficult to make those mandatory, there is just not enough time to cover all in the curriculum. Besides, the students can just read some subjects on their own, as long as they know how to read. As for Math, they should add more, because North American students rank very low in Math compared to students in other countries.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:50 pm
Most teachers of "world religions" have a general understanding but their depth of knowledge is usually quite limited. In order to understad a particular religion or pholosophy it's best to check the thing out yourself.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:41 pm
Nickfun, I agree. That would be ideal but perhaps not to feasible. I remember that the treat teacher, Huston Smith, "tried out" zen buddhism but studying for a very short time with a teacher. I believe that most of his insight came from books, i.e., the outsider's perspective.
0 Replies