US "forest man" found in Germany

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:35 pm
Quote:
March 22, 2007

AMERICAN HERMIT FOUND IN GERMANY

"Forest Man" Discovered in Woods with Weed

German authorities arrested an American hermit found in the woods of the Rhineland-Palatinate on Monday. He has allegedly been living in a hidden camp for years, but isn't your average recluse .

In the German fairy-tale of Hansel and Gretel, two children stumble upon an old witch in the forest. In a modern twist, a hiker in the woods near Kobern-Gondorf -- not far from Koblenz in western Germany -- suspected he'd seen what some might consider the equivalent to the witch's candy cottage: a marijuana field. Nearby were two abandoned homes where he told police an "unknown resident" was living.

While there was no marijuana field, police found a 42-year-old American man in possession of 150-grams of marijuana, hand tools, and an old boating license. The man the German media has nicknamed "forest man," was arrested on Monday and has been identified, though his name has not yet been released. Some time ago he was reported "missing" by his father in the US, and says he studied horticulture -- but how and why he came to live in the woods of the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate remains a mystery.

"Forest man" is thought to have been living, perhaps for years, in a hidden camp on the roof of one of the abandoned homes. According to police, he speaks German with an American accent, and doesn't fit the traditional hermit stereotype. When police found him, he was clean-shaven with short hair, dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, and seemed to be up on his current events. He also seems to have regularly disposed of his trash, prompting a police officer to tell the dpa: "Actually, he seems like a pretty orderly person."

Residents told the dpa that there have been rumors circling the possible existence of "forest man" for a while. Some suspect he may have been involved in a number of unsolved robberies. "Forest man" remains in police custody while these allegations are being investigated.

kla/dpa

Source

http://i11.tinypic.com/47nhds3.jpghttp://i10.tinypic.com/34za621.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 940 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:11 pm
lol Well that certianly makes the "odd story of the day" list.

Please keep us posted in this Walter. I'm curious as to how/why he ended up in Germany.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:35 pm
fishin wrote:
lol Well that certianly makes the "odd story of the day" list.

Please keep us posted in this Walter. I'm curious as to how/why he ended up in Germany.

The latest is (still) a press release by the Rhineland-Palantine police, police headquarters Koblenz:

http://i5.tinypic.com/2w2j7sy.jpg

He entered Germany in 2000 as a tourist, to visit his mother's native country.
He "discovered" that he wished to stay here, and accidentically stayed in the region where he was now found.

He worked sporadically on farms and vineyards to get some food/money.

He seems to have cultivated his own dope on two smaller fields.

If he had commited some thefts is still under investigation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:09 pm
Interesting......
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
i cycled through that part of germany during the fifties with two friends . i had always assumed that they returned with me to hamburg , but am wondering now if one staid behind ?
his english was good enough to pass himself off as an american !
hbg

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2743/horroroz8.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:35 pm
This fits my definition of a non story.
ie headline

AMERICAN HERMIT FOUND IN GERMANY

"Forest Man" Discovered in Woods with Weed

German authorities arrested an American hermit found in the woods of the Rhineland-Palatinate on Monday. He has allegedly been living in a hidden camp for years, but isn't your average recluse

but later it says hes not actually a recluse (worked on farms to earn cash) and doen't fit a reasonable description of "hermit" (clean shaven, short hair jeans, sweatshirt up on current affairs) There is no marijuana field and he hadn't been living there for years.

The press should be charged with falsifying information.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:45 pm
I've got at least six of these guys living in my backwoods.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:45 pm
Quote:

it probably was a slow news day and they had to fill the pages !

there is actually an expression in german for "slow news day" , it's called
"saure gurken zeit" or "sour pickles day" .
it simply means that on a day when there are no "sweet stories" but only "sour pickels" , they'll print anything to fill the pages !
"saure gurken zeit" is even found in wiki .
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:51 pm
hamburger wrote:
Quote:

it probably was a slow news day and they had to fill the pages !

there is actually an expression in german for "slow news day" , it's called
"saure gurken zeit" or "sour pickles day" .
it simply means that on a day when there are no "sweet stories" but only "sour pickels" , they'll print anything to fill the pages !
"saure gurken zeit" is even found in wiki .
hbg

That doesnt mean they (press generally world wide) should be allowed to get away with creating false impressions and wild accusations. If its a slow news day dont print so much.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 06:03 pm
Quote:
If its a slow news day dont print so much.

not many would be willing to buy empty pages .
actually there are plenty of "news magazines"( Laughing ) that print anything but news - and they seem to make a good profit doing so .
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 06:18 pm
If an advertiser did this (make up a story) they would be charged with false advertising.

Our guaranteed wrinkle removing cream can work for you
[size=7]Actually doesnt remove wrinkles just hides them and oh by the way causes cancer.[/size]
0 Replies