Please, Doc, am I normal?

coberst

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:34 pm
Please, Doc, am I normal?

In New York City a woman who gives away all her possessions and goes to the streets to help the street people might well be placed in protective custody. In Delhi she might well be considered as a saint.

Normal in one culture is abnormal in another. One culture is often the enemy of another. American culture and Islamic culture are apparently good reason for killing one another. The Shiite culture is apparently good reason for killing Sunnis. A few centuries ago Protestants and Catholics found good reason to kill one another.

"Social life is a ceremonial that has to be flawless so that man can disguise his fictions and justify them; the last thing he can admit to himself is that his life-ways are arbitraryÂ…If you reveal the fictional nature of culture you deprive life of its heroic meaning because the only way one can function as a hero is within the symbolic fiction."

The paradox of human existence is that on one level we consider our self to be of great importance and on another level we know we will die. The despair inculcated by the knowledge of death is a heavy burden, even more so to those who are unique, those who are the most individuated, the most abnormal. Those who are the least normal are the most in danger of despair. "The problem of despair can be met only in one way; by being a cosmic hero, by making a secure contribution to world-life even though one may die."

"The humanization process itself is the neurosis: the limitation of experience, the fragmentation of perception, the dispossession of genuine internal control." To be normal is to be neurotic.

Quote from "The Birth and Death of Meaning" by Ernest Becker

Questions for discussion

Are we guided to a large extent by our first five years of life?
Can we change this childhood effect to a significant degree?
Can we be considered as free men and women if we are so determined?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 644 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:45 pm
Quote:

I guess that Freud would think so, but as I can't recall my first 5 years, I'm doubtful. Idea
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:50 pm
Miller wrote:
Quote:

I guess that Freud would think so, but as I can't recall my first 5 years, I'm doubtful. Idea

This is short bit I took from the Internet about the importance of the first five years of a child's development.

"The first five years create the foundation for the child to accomplish key developmental advances in mind and body. From the first day of life to the first day in kindergarten, a child grows at a phenomenal pace that is unequalled at any other time of life. It is during these years that the brain undergoes its most dramatic growth. Language blossoms, basic motor abilities advance, thinking starts to become more complex, and social/emotional development enables the child to begin to understand his own feelings and those of others."

http://www.aboutourkids.org/aboutour/articles/bundled/first_five.html
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
Hmm... I've never been "normal". And I've never faced despair.

But I've lived all my life under one motto. I won't let anyone tell me anything. I can take advice, but it has to be tested before I trust it. I rely soley on my own experience, and as far as I can tell, even though everyone does this, it is far from normal to have this outlook on life. Most people, it seems to me, doubt their own experience and look for confirmation elsewhere.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:03 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Hmm... I've never been "normal". And I've never faced despair.

But I've lived all my life under one motto. I won't let anyone tell me anything. I can take advice, but it has to be tested before I trust it. I rely soley on my own experience, and as far as I can tell, even though everyone does this, it is far from normal to have this outlook on life. Most people, it seems to me, doubt their own experience and look for confirmation elsewhere.

*bows*
0 Replies

cello

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:52 am
Coberst, the paragraph you bolded made me think to what extent of cruelty men can go if they were immortal.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:51 am
cello wrote:
Coberst, the paragraph you bolded made me think to what extent of cruelty men can go if they were immortal.

We try to become immortal and in the process such things as the Holocaust happens. Humans kill to feed our illusions. We have great capacity for good and for evil. I think that evil of a certain level will destroy us whereas good of any maximum kind cannot assure our species survival.
0 Replies