Britain's rich heritage of pubs under thread

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:22 am
Quote:

JASPER COPPING

http://i15.tinypic.com/29xjk7d.jpg

MANY OF Britain's most historic pubs, described as "architectural gems", are under threat from the bulldozer or modern "refurbishment".

The properties have been put on a new "at-risk" register drawn up by the Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) and English Heritage. The pubs were all built before the Second World War and decorated in styles including Art Nouveau, Art Deco and High Gothic.

More than 250 pubs have been put on the list, with 20 described as "in immediate danger". Some have already closed and fallen into disrepair, while others are awaiting planning permission to be turned into flats or offices or are threatened with refurbishment that will involve ripping out their old decor.

The register has been drawn up in an attempt to protect the pubs' unique interiors. It includes some of the great Victorian and Edwardian "gin palaces" of the big cities with extravagant decorative tiling, glass and mahogany fittings.

Paul Ainsworth, the chairman of Camra's heritage group, said: "These places are under real and immediate threat and once they're gone, they're gone.

"These precious pubs are architectural gems and natural treasures, and while they are there to be enjoyed, they also need protection."

The at-risk register, Pubs in Peril, is part of an inventory of pubs whose decor has not been changed substantially since they were built.

Among those under threat are Crocker's Folly, a late Victorian pub with a marble chimney piece and billiard room in Maida Vale, west London, which has already closed, and the Red Lion in Handsworth, Birmingham. Largely untouched since it opened in 1901, the Red Lion is still open but has been placed on the register because of concern over the building's condition.

The organisation has launched a website to encourage people to visit the at-risk pubs. The group is circulating the information to local planning authorities and working with English Heritage to list as many of the properties as possible.

A spokesman for English Heritage, said: "A lot of architectural effort went into these pubs because the owners wanted to bring people in and keep them there.

"But the survival rate is not high because they get damaged and have work done on them.

Britain has 60,000 pubs, but last month it was reported that 56 were closing down every month, mostly in urban areas.

source: Sunday Telegraph, 18.03.07, page 14

Link to the above mentioned CAMRA website:
Heritage Pubs
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,783 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:31 am
Good morning, Walter!

It's because the pubs are under threat that you put them under thread? Shocked
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 04:48 am
If the general public don't choose to patronise the pubs that's the end of them.

Otherwise CAMRA will need to subsidise the joints. Or persuade the government to.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:05 am
I agree, spendi.

However, it seems to be a "trend" everywhere: all are copmlaining that (privately owned shops and) pubs/traditional bars etc are closing - but nobody really supports them.

Some will stay .... as "living museums".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 07:57 am
I hat this kind of thing. It fills me with a sense of hopelessness. I can't do a whole lot about it and it would mean a lot to me if they kept them open.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:28 am
These are just the types of pubs I intend to visit next month in London. Any suggestions?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:55 am
martybarker wrote:
These are just the types of pubs I intend to visit next month in London. Any suggestions?

There a few listed in the link I gave above ...

The Olde Cheshire Cheese is really very nice (including memories on the first [big] London meeting).

The Red Lion is not only good for a break while strolling through Kensington but you might indeed meet the one or other politican.

Both are listed here - same link as above - as well as many others.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 11:00 am
Yes, Olde Cheshire Cheese was recommended by a friend. Will go there and check out the Red Lion.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:10 pm
You can't find England by looking for it. It's a birthright.

You would all be better staying at home and discovering your own birthrights rather than distracting yourselves dipping a toe into those of others.

And you would save money and lighten your carbon footprint at the same time.

Those are not traditional pubs to us. They are just pubs and they'll cease to be that with tourists making pilgrimages to them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:12 pm
That's ca ca Spendi.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:39 pm
Some of us want to get out and experience life and culture, others feel safe within their bubbles.
Cheers!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:25 pm
littlek wrote-

Quote:
That's ca ca Spendi.

That's an assertion littlek.

And, as such, not worth a blow on a ragman's trumpet.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:26 pm
All the best marty.

The more you find out the worse it gets.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:31 pm
spendius wrote:
All the best marty.

The more you find out the worse it gets.

Maybe in your world, but not necessarily mine. I say to each his own, live and let live. Lifes too short to not take chances and explore. I'll be at the Olde Cheshire Cheese the 2nd week of April, come have a pint with me and we'll toast to new friendships!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:36 pm
The Olde Cheshire Cheese.

Give me a break marty.

The fresh stuff is bad enough.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:44 pm
I checked out Walt's "listed here" link.

Those are not pubs.

Pubs are where there's a load of fag stumps on the floor, people in a range of postures and a shop assistant or fruit packer with her glad rags on grinning sheepishly at you in the hope of improving her station in life.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:47 pm
Oh well, your choice to not be friendly. You probably wouldn't like me for the color of my hair or my American accent anyway.

Walter, I find that to be an interesting post. I so enjoy the nostalgia of a place with history. Some modern things are nice and all, like art. I can appreciate some of the modern artists but it the classic artists that I enjoy the most.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:48 pm
spendius wrote:
I checked out Walt's "listed here" link.

Those are not pubs.

Pubs are where there's a load of fag stumps on the floor, people in a range of postures and a shop assistant or fruit packer with her glad rags on grinning sheepishly at you in the hope of improving her station in life.

Spendius, you must be an expert on the subject. Tell us what you really think.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
martybarker wrote:

There a few listed in the link I gave above ...

The Olde Cheshire Cheese is really very nice (including memories on the first [big] London meeting).

The Red Lion is not only good for a break while strolling through Kensington but you might indeed meet the one or other politican.

Both are listed here - same link as above - as well as many others.

Not far from Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese there is, on High Holborn, a pub called the Cittie of Yorke.
I think both of these pubs pre-date the Great Fire of London, 1666, which makes them pretty old. Fascinating places.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:17 pm
Mac wrote-

Quote:
I think both of these pubs pre-date the Great Fire of London, 1666, which makes them pretty old. Fascinating places.

So you can imagine the state of the jakes.
0 Replies