Quiz Questions

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 06:25 am
Any help, clue or answer would be appreciated.

1. Just as motel is a portmanteau word made up from the words motor and hotel, what six-letter portmanteau word is used to describe a moored boat that provides temporary accommodation for workers or travellers?
2. What five-letter word can mean clippings from a hedge or tree, loose pieces of broken rock or ice, and ostentatiously self-assertive or impertinent?
3. Which one same five-letter word can mean, in North American slang, a lowly or unskilled worker or soldier, a low guttural sound made by a human or animal and is the common name of a deep-bodied, large-mouthed marine fish of Atlantic and Pacific waters?
4. The six-letter name of a narrow silk tape used for edging or binding fabric is also the common name of a small carnivorous creature. What name?
5. What ten-letter word, partly derived from the Greek meaning 'short', means the study of concise speech?
6. If number one is 'the singing', number two is 'little maid', number four is 'meeting', number five is 'love', number seven is 'evil day', and number eight is 'by the brook', what is the two-word title (in English of number three? (I thought of Edward Grieg work but cannot come up with much).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,759 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Tufdevil

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:47 pm
Quiz questions
Me again.

Number 1 is FLOTEL and number 3 is GRUNT

Good luck

Tuf
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:34 pm
HelloTufdevil, you have come up trumps again, many thanks. Believe it or not, but my team won the local pub quiz last Tuesday, and we are off to the village local one on Sunday. Usually tables of 30 - usually in the first three. Having said that we will like flop!! I do appreciate your help.
Hope you did well tonight.
0 Replies

astradyne

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:49 am
4 is FERRET
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 06:11 am
Many thanks astradyne, appreciated. Running out of time, quiz to be in tomorrow and still looking for # 5 and 6.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:57 am
Not sure how much help this would be, but "synopsis" is derived from the
Greek word for "short". Mybe the target word is somehow related.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
Hello George, Many thanks for joining in. I'm trying all sorts, so your answer is appreciated.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:46 pm
Quiz questions
Running out of time, Upandrunning, but number 2 is BRASH
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:19 pm
Quiz questions
Me again.

Getting closer.

The Greek for short (according to my Greek dictionary - Cyprus hols!) is BRACHYS.

So a quick dictionary search on words starting with BRACH gives us BRACHYLOGY - Brevity of speech.

Good luck!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:52 pm
Nice one, Tuf. I was following the wrong Greek root.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:55 pm
Quiz questions
Hi Upandrunning

You were right to think that there might be a Grieg connection to number 6.

It is actually his opus 67 "The mountain Maid"

Trouble is, there are various translations of the 8 pieces in this work, but number 3 appears to be usually known as "BLUEBERRY SLOPE" although I have seen it shown as Bilberry slopes.

Just those film stars now. Let me know if you've sussed them already!

Tuf
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:25 pm
Hi Tufdevil, thought you had abandoned me! How did you get on at your Quiz? I was at one last night, came in equal 2nd out of 28 tables - not too bad.
Thanks for your answers - did end up with BRASH and BRACHYLOGY - thank you for all your efforts.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:27 pm
Me again, Found Blueberry Slope. The film stars are for another quiz not needed until the end of the month. You are a great partner!
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:21 pm
Quiz questions
Well done, Upandrunning.

Good luck in this quiz.

I did post a couple of answers to the other quiz on your "More quiz questions" thread, but I then went away for the weekend.

Don't know if you got them but I answered the European country and anagram questions.

Hopefully, one of us (or someone else) will get the film stars link before the end of the month.

And well done Sunday night. You obviously have a very good team.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:15 am
Good Morning Tufdevil.

Thanks for all your help. Sorry! didn't get your answer to the country or the anagram, please re send. Many thanks.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 09:58 am
Quiz questions
I wondered whether you'd got them because I also said in the response that I would be away for the weekend. Wouldn't want you to think I had abandoned you.

Anyway, the smallest country in Europe with an area of more than 500 sq mls (1295 sq kms) is Luxembourg at 2586 sq kms. Faroe Islands is 1399 sq kms, but it is a dependent state and not on the official 194 countries list.

I was puzzled with the anagram, but when I realised there was only 1 "O" and no T's it dramatically cut down the number of famous composers, so I looked at HANDEL and he wrote an opera called GIULIO CESARE so I think that's your answer.

Still haven't come up with an answer to the film stars. I was wondering if it was unconnected with the actual people - eg racehorses or greyhounds or maybe Cruft's winners, but I haven't had any luck there either. Still time though.

By the way, if you post any more questions in early April, I won't be around. Going to Cyprus for 17 days. Just a BRACHYS break. But I will be looking in again around the 19/20 April, after I have read all my e-mails!!!
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:53 am
Many thanks Tufdevel, hope you enjoy your holiday. I have just come back after a week in Tunisia - weather not too good - but enjoyed the break. Another reason for not getting the quiz done! I have a few more questions that I am struggling with as I have so many other things on - committees etc., that I canno't seem to get down and research.
Thanks for the answers.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:12 pm
Quiz questions
Hi Upandrunning

The film stars are driving me mad. The only connection I have come up with so far is that they all used their real surnames (although Henry Warren Beaty added an extra "t" to his name), but not their real first name, though many of them used their second name - not Jodie Foster, though. But I would imagine that this applies to many more film stars.

Promise me you will let me know the answer after the quiz has closed if I don't come up with it before I go on holiday in a week.

By the way, have you tried the Quizzyheights March quiz. I was at the Friday quiz that Chris fron Quizzyheights does, and he told me that I am still the only one with an all correct answer list 2 weeks into the current month. I think question 8 is the one that is causing all the trouble.

Give it a go. Surely I can't win it on a walkover!

Tuf.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 02:33 am
Hello Tuf,

Yes! I am familiar with the Quizzy Heights Quiz, and have always got 100%. It's question 10 that's got me, tried everything - question 8 - JF I found quite easy!! Go on, tell me I'm wrong!
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 06:39 am
Quizzyheights
Hi Upandrunning

Yes, no 8 is correct.

I did stumble a little bit on number 10, but not too much. It is a sporting connection - not British.

Think nicknames.

Then you have to identify the precise connection between the 3 which isn't too difficult once you have identified the sport and the 3 names you are looking for.

Good luck. Maybe we will have a head to head on 10th.

So, about the film stars. Have you got the connection yet?
0 Replies