Salem gets a rebirth in the Philippines

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:49 am
Couple beheaded for being 'witches'
July 9, 2003
AN elderly couple in the central Philippines were beheaded by neighbours who accused them of being witches, police said today.
Police in the remote town of Cauayan on Negros island detained three men including the victims' son-in-law, who was implicated by the two other suspects in the grisly July 4 killings.
Generoso Casupong, 65, and his 64 year-old wife Isabelita were both decapitated inside their home by two men armed with a large curved knife used to harvest coconut fruit, said Cauayan police investigator Alvin Cuenca.
Detained suspect Eugenio Tanguar blames the couple for the death of his daughter from unspecified illness last year.
Speaking to reporters behind his jail cell, Tanguar said he threw the woman's severed head in the hearth in the belief that the ashes would prevent the alleged witch from reattaching her body and coming back to life.
Another suspect, Carlito Hibolan, said he used the same knife to kill the husband.
"He was shouting for help and I was in a hurry to kill him because I know aswang (witches) are strong and was afraid he might overpower me," Hibolan said.
The two claimed the third suspect, Rosendo Cabug-os, had encouraged them to kill his in-laws, also believing them to be witches.
Cabug-os denies any role in the attacks. All three were arrested yesterday.
In local folklore, aswang or witches are believed to feast on human flesh and can transform themselves into animals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:52 am
Sounds somewhat similar to witch lore around here, now that you mention it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:21 am
Seems like they sometimes take this kind of thing a bit too seriously in the Philippines. Don't some men have themselves nailed to crosses to honor Jesus at Easter, too?
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:51 am
Yes, D'art, and I believe they also have quite a problem with Islamic fundamentalists kidnapping and killing tourists; sounds like a peachy place for our next vacation Rolling Eyes !
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:03 am
So whats your point?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
So they smoke menthols?
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:08 am
farmerman wrote:
So whats your point?

Since that came in directly after my post, am I to presume it was specifically directed at me? If so, my response is simply that it seems the Philippines is going through a terrible time right now and it, therefore, would not be a good place in which to vacation at this time.

If that was directed to the author, I apologize for interjecting ...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:09 am
I suspect the latter...
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:11 am
patiodog wrote:
I suspect the latter...

Embarrassed Cool Embarrassed
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:12 am
i accept no responsibility for anything i post, i seldom believe anything i say
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:15 am
Dys, please stop that sardonic posing - I WANT to believe everything that 'comes out of your mouth' ...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:53 am
dyslexia sings like a bird, for singing's sweet sake.

also, to establish a geographic perimeter over which he is lord and master, and to secure that domain for the purposes of procreation and the procurement of sustenance for mate and offspring.

and because he likes pretty noises in the morning.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:06 am
Oh, dear, patiodog, it's like finding out there really is no Santa Claus ...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:09 am
So, like, they're NOT executing witches in the Philippines? Now I'm confused...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:26 am
Yeah, I think they are, but I don't think anyone's found any valuable response to this yet.

So, to continue in crassness: do you know, sweetc, that patiodog backwards (to dyslexia, see) is godoitap? Weird....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
So patiodog's the actual god that Craven and Blatham have been trying to usurp. Should've known.

Some shrubbery, comin' right up.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:43 am
patiodog: bad dog, bad!

not nice to play mind games with such a sweetie as I :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:49 am
Well, I say it out loud to myself a few times, and it keeps morphing into "Go take a crap," so I'm not sure I'd attach such lofty significance to it.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:34 am
I read about that in the paper but in the Philippines it is not sensational enough to merit the Front Page. You will be surprised what is on our front page right now. Daughter of Hero Ninoy Aquino and former President Corazon Aquino get STD from live-in lover. Sick isn't it
0 Replies