What is a rich person?

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:40 pm
What threshold strikes you has having so much they are rich?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 649 • Replies: 2
No top replies

hungry hippo

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:35 pm
Isn't that usually seen in context to the situation that person is in? A king that has a 10 million dollar fortune can be considered poor.

Someone is also rich relative to someone else. That person is rich or poor depending on who you compare that person to.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:15 pm
If a person feels they are rich, they will amass the benefits of being rich (as least the emotional ones, which are much more rewarding and less of a hassle than the material ones anyway).

I think it has very little to do with any outward comparison and more to do with a comparison to one's own expectations of what and how much of something they had thought they might have one day.

For instance, if someone was raised in poverty, and never thought they'd rise out of poverty, but somehow did and managed to attain a middle class lifestyle, that person would probably feel rich, despite not really having an income that others around them would consider overly impressive.

Another person might always have believed they would become a millionaire, and if he or she doesn't, they will probably never feel they have made it or are "rich", despite having an income that others would find impressive and define that way.

I feel rich or blessed whenever I have more of something than I need.

On a purely monetary basis, I feel that one has at least the potential to attain a "rich" or wealthy status and move beyond "comfortable" (if they can manage their money, invest in property etc., and not overspend) if they have a yearly income of over $100,000 (in the US- the UK is a different story as the property is so much more expensive).
0 Replies