Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:58 am
How would you American "Christians" feel, if.. 85% of the population of your country-- were "atheists"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,451 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:22 am
Yes, how would you feel?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:28 am
We'd feel puzzled about the quotation marks.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:54 am
George wrote:
We'd feel puzzled about the quotation marks.

Good one.

Also, how I feel doesn't have any bearing on what I believe.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:57 am
why do people care what others believe?

if you are secure in your own beliefs, what others believe, or choose not to believe, would be of no relevance to you
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
Security in one's own beliefs is not a goal. Just because one feels good about his/her beliefs doesn't make it valid.

I think we can all say that at one time we believed something that turned out not to be true. So finding out what others believe and why they believe it can help anyone who is open to learning.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:49 am
Is A2K a country now?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:51 am
More significant than that is the compulsion so many true believers feel to impose their beliefs--not simply to believe, but to attempt to make others acknowledge the superiority of their belief. This is particularly important to the religious and the ideological believers.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:08 pm
shewolf wrote:
if you are secure in your own beliefs, what others believe, or choose not to believe, would be of no relevance to you

That's true. Right up until the moment those who believe what I don't start pressing for their beliefs to be taught as facts in schools.
Until the moment they start lobbying for their beliefs to become the sole alternative to be offered young people.
Right until the moment they start trying to shove scientific discoveries such as 'the earth revolves around the sun' under the carpet because it doesn't sit well with what they believe.
Or they try to tell others what they can and cannot do in issues such as abortion, for instance.
Then it is of some relevance to me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:19 pm
Everyone knows you can only be either/or.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:19 pm
Of course the earth revolves around the Sun. If it didn't, we wouldn't have "global warming". Discuss.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
There's a show on our local comedy channel call "John Safran versus God". He recently took it to the US, where he door knocked in Utah, promoting the teachings of Charles Darwin. He observed how many people objected to someone knocking on their doors at inappropriate times attempting to force their beliefs on others. He even got physically attacked by a Bishop, proving once again what monumental hypocrites theists are.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:34 pm
wilso,
I'd have loved to see that.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:24 pm
Chai wrote:
wilso,
I'd have loved to see that.

Here it is.Buried about half way into his "Mormons are a pain" rant, he takes it on the road to turn the tables.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
heh...

yeah, the first part is pretty annoying, but that really was great seeing peoples reactions. Shoes on the other foot.

I wonder if they won any converts.
0 Replies

AziMythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
If 85% of the U.S. were atheists six days a week,
and Christian one day a week,

then I would feel the same as I do right now.

(Silly atheist, only takes a moment to put a "No Solicitors" sign by the door).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:55 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Of course the earth revolves around the Sun. If it didn't, we wouldn't have "global warming". Discuss.

Is that why many of the other planets in our solar system and at least one of the moons are also experiencing 'global warming' of their own? They all share the same Sun.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:45 pm
Real Life wrote.. Quote

1... Also, how I feel doesn't have any bearing on what I believe.

2... Just because one feels good about his/her beliefs doesn't make it valid... Unquote.

Thanks, Real Life, I now understand you even less

Instead of asking the Christians, perhaps I should of posted... How would you Iranian "Muslims" feel, if.. 85% of the population of your country-- were "atheists"?

Was going to post it... then suddenly realized the the 15% Muslims in Iran would dam soon change it to there being 100% Muslims and not by converting either.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:12 pm
real life wrote:
Security in one's own beliefs is not a goal. Just because one feels good about his/her beliefs doesn't make it valid.

I think we can all say that at one time we believed something that turned out not to be true. So finding out what others believe and why they believe it can help anyone who is open to learning.

Absolutely agree.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:06 am
AziMythe wrote:
If 85% of the U.S. were atheists six days a week,
and Christian one day a week,

then I would feel the same as I do right now.

(Silly atheist, only takes a moment to put a "No Solicitors" sign by the door).

Oh that wouldn't work, you really think anyone pays attention to them?
0 Replies