Why more guests posting than registered members?

sumac

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:28 am
I was away from this site for a bit. Upon returning, I couldn't help but notice that there are usually more guests online than registered members. Possible reasons for this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,371 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Monger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:43 am
As the site's popularity grows (and also due to excellent search engine optimization by Craven) it will get more & more visitors wanderring in from search engines & other sites.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:43 am
Hi sumac,

Craven answered that here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2755&highlight=guest#2755
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:30 am
Try this:

Quote:
If you don't want to show up in the who's online stats simply edit your profile and choose to "hide your online status".
Note that these stats indicate users who are on the forums, not users who are on the internet. If you see guests in the list viewing member only areas do not fret. This doesn't mean that security was compromised but simply that within the last 5 minutes they were logged out and will appear as guests in the list until five minutes has elapsed.

(From the who's online page.)
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 12:34 pm
Thanks, sozobe, but couldn't access it.

The topic or post you requested does not exist, has been moved, or is private.

Granted, good and logical explanations for one side of the question, but not the other. Activity of members?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:39 pm
Oops, sorry. Did the first link work?

Does my revised info explain more? Not sure what you're asking for re: activity of members. The main thing is that the "who's online" page only lists people who have navigated within the site within the last 5 minutes. So if someone is typing out a long response, say, or is reading a long, thought-provoking post, they are "active" (participating on the site) in a way that is not reflected in the "who's online" list.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:45 pm
Well, and some -like me, for instance- can be 'online, e.g. 'searching forums', although I'm out shopping for hours.

That's only, because I'm usually always 'on the site'.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:58 pm
Walter, I'm pretty sure that if you're "shopping for hours", you WON'T appear on the "Who's Online" list. If you check the list, that is itself activity, so you're shown on the list.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:21 pm
Over 10,000 people find the site every day from searches.

Most of the time they find what they are looking for and leave.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:38 am
Good explanations, all, and thank you. It does seem strange though that someone can be online, but not online.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:57 am
What do you mean "online, but not online"?

If the who's online page says a guest is posting what it means is that a guest clicked on a post button and is being shown the log in screen. Since it's called by the posting page that's where the session is listed as being.
0 Replies