Is there proof God exists?

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 12:04 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Is there a way to ban people who cut and paste long screeds on this forum? I'm sure that people who post spam are banned, but shouldn't cutting and pasting be disallowed also? Its nearly as disruptive and doesn't contribute much to the sharing of ideas since nobody reads them.
So long as a2k can afford the bandwidth, we don't have to read, do we?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 12:17 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:
So, rather than argue about the possibility of proof existing, why not have those who claim that proof *does* exist, provide said proof ?

Because there is no proof, at least not the type of proof that you are asking for. We see the type of universe that we ask for. If we are existential or atheist in our beliefs, we see a cruel, uncaring universe without a God. If we are disposed toward faith, we receive some kind of confirmation of our faith, but not objective proof. If we seek experience of God, it comes as internal spiritual experience. We all seem to get what we want.

I don't believe in god, and I don't see the universe as harsh or cruel.

The definition of proof requires that it be objective. So you say there is no proof - only your belief.
real life

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 12:19 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Is there a way to ban people who cut and paste long screeds on this forum? I'm sure that people who post spam are banned, but shouldn't cutting and pasting be disallowed also? Its nearly as disruptive and doesn't contribute much to the sharing of ideas since nobody reads them.

The 'free speech' guys strike again.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:

How do you view suffering and death?
Quote:
The definition of proof requires that it be objective. So you say there is no proof - only your belief.

That is true for objective proof. However, as individuals we commonly factor in our own internal experience in constructing our world-view. For example, I'm sure you didn't require objective proof when you fell in love (assuming you did at one time in your life). So, in addition to belief, there is also our subjective experience. If I have a spiritual experience, I may modify my understanding of the world to accommodate that experience, whether or not there is objective proof.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:45 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:

How do you view suffering and death?

Suffering and death are the product largely of our own doing. Death, of course is also inevitable with or without human meddling.

IFeelFree wrote:

Quote:

That is true for objective proof. However, as individuals we commonly factor in our own internal experience in constructing our world-view. For example, I'm sure you didn't require objective proof when you fell in love (assuming you did at one time in your life). So, in addition to belief, there is also our subjective experience. If I have a spiritual experience, I may modify my understanding of the world to accommodate that experience, whether or not there is objective proof.

There is only objective proof. I can't prove I ever was in love. I don't try. And I'm not sure that likening your proof of god to proving love is helpful to your argument. Honestly, for me that seems to trivialize your proof even further. Love is a state of mind.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:49 pm
I'd like to add that I don't require that death and/or suffering or any other negative aspect of life have a "higher purpose." The idea that people "die for a reason" or because "god called them home" is just a way of comforting us and mitigating the feeling of loss. No one likes to believe they've lost a loved one just because.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:59 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Suffering and death are the product largely of our own doing. Death, of course is also inevitable with or without human meddling.

Yes, but doesn't the existence of suffering and death, without any purpose, make the universe harsh and cruel?
Quote:
There is only objective proof. I can't prove I ever was in love. I don't try.

If you can't prove you were in love, does that mean you don't believe you were ever in love? I doubt it. As humans we commonly factor in "unprovable" subjective experiences into our decision making and world-view.
Quote:
And I'm not sure that likening your proof of god to proving love is helpful to your argument. Honestly, for me that seems to trivialize your proof even further.

My "proof of God"? Read what I said. I said "there is no proof" of God. However, there may a personal spiritual experience of God. That is not proof. It may nevertheless be compelling to the individual who has that experience.
Quote:
Love is a state of mind.

So love is real, even if can't be proved? Be careful....
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:46 pm
There is a huge difference between saying love is real and god is real. Love is not a being. Love is an emotion the same as anger or any other. They are constructs of our mind. Love requires a human to experience it for it to really "exist."

Your god is supposed to be a being. A being does not require another being for itself to exist. I don't really see how you can draw any similarity between love and god.

And no, the fact that suffering and death exist does not make the universe cruel. Contrary to that, there is also life and love. Which makes the universe balanced and just.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:44 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
There is a huge difference between saying love is real and god is real. Love is not a being. Love is an emotion the same as anger or any other. They are constructs of our mind. Love requires a human to experience it for it to really "exist."

What if I say that God is not a being, but love? Furthermore, what if I say that love is not merely an emotion but the force that guides the universe? I suppose that sounds crazy. Nevertheless, that is what I believe.
Quote:
Your god is supposed to be a being. A being does not require another being for itself to exist. I don't really see how you can draw any similarity between love and god.

A lot of religious people say that God is a being. I don't. I think God is the state of pure Being, but that is different. God is the force that animates all things. God is in everyone and everything. God is what sustains us. To me that is a universal, impersonal Love. That is how I equate God and Love.
Quote:
And no, the fact that suffering and death exist does not make the universe cruel. Contrary to that, there is also life and love. Which makes the universe balanced and just.

Not too cruel, not too good, just right? But the universe can seem to be cruel at times, at least to some people, right? I mean if children die in a terrible accident, that seems cruel, no?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:42 pm
So why are you even in this thread? If you can define god to be whatever you like, and you obviously have picked a definition that is beyond reproach - you are worthless as a debater.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 12:17 am
USAFHokie80

IFF is side-stepping the simplistic definition of "existence" which you are using.....namely "individual being". I do not agree with his theistic stance, but his level of debate is far more sophisticated than that of those who think this question is about "proof" or "evidence". European philosophers from Nietsche through to Foucault have stressed that "existence" is about action not things , the latter being mere artifacts of languaging ...an action....a "snapshot" expression of the flux of relationship.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:56 am
I guess I just got caught up in the title of the thread saying something about "proof". Silly me.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 10:53 am
I offered what I think is the correct answer: There is no proof of God. To be more specific, there is no objective proof of God of the type the question implies. However, spiritual practice brings an experience that we may call the impersonal aspect of God. I use the word "God" because, although impersonal, this experience is one of love, bliss, and deep peace. Over time, this experience begins to seep permanently into one's awareness. Daily activity is infused with a sense of ease and inner peace. There is a background of restful alertness. The heart is full, and love and compassion arise spontaneously. I am not ruling out the possibility of an experience of God in a personal form. However, I am trying to speak from my own experience. God can also come in the form of other people who bring you some help or instruction at the time it is needed.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:51 am
Quote:
I guess I just got caught up in the title of the thread saying something about "proof". Silly me.

Correct ! That "me" was caught up in a futile and unable to move on. :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:50 am
Ack! Philosophy in a discussion of proof!

A definition in itself is to give something boundries/limits; to associate properties to something.

God, as it is refered is without boundry/limit and possess infinite property. QED: It is without definition.

Of course in the case above I am refering to the notion of god as the abrahamic faiths describe. Given a different definition, for instance any of the greek gods, one can identify boundries/limits and properties of the theoretical being.

We have the ability to discuss proof of the greek gods individually, and certainly a discussion on this, would prove that ultimately they do not exist.

In terms of Math, imagine trying to prove that a factorial exists between any two integers. That is to say that 2.5!, e!, 3.14159! exist. You can't, because it is without (outside) definition.

The same is true for God. I don't need to prove it exists, becuase it is without definition.

The same is true for god
K
O
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:42 am
Thanks to Fresco for some insightful comments.

I was wondering which one of the 100 proofs god exists applies to writer 'belittleknown'

I would say #33

Argument from supreme smugness

which says the same thing, but more succinctly
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:28 am
Diest TKO wrote:
In terms of Math, imagine trying to prove that a factorial exists between any two integers. That is to say that 2.5!, e!, 3.14159! exist. You can't, because it is without (outside) definition.

I'll assume you didn't actually mean to say that the three non-integers you placed above are in fact integers? I've noticed many of your posts have an air of superiority, but then fall flat because you've said something completely silly/contrary in them. Perhaps you should keep your "laughs" about my posts to yourself until you can perfect your own. :-D
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:51 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
God, as it is refered is without boundry/limit and possess infinite property. QED: It is without definition.

As a mental concept, and as a fundamental condition of reality, God is as you describe. As an internal experience, there may be specific qualities associated with the an impersonal God, such as love, bliss, inner peace, a sense of freedom, etc. The boundless becomes expressed within boundaries.
Quote:
Of course in the case above I am refering to the notion of god as the abrahamic faiths describe. Given a different definition, for instance any of the greek gods, one can identify boundries/limits and properties of the theoretical being.

We have the ability to discuss proof of the greek gods individually, and certainly a discussion on this, would prove that ultimately they do not exist.

They existed as internal mental forms for the ancient Greeks. That were personalized expressions of God, mental constructs in the human psyche which stand for infinite, absolute Being. Most people have trouble of conceiving of God in the abstract and therefore think in terms of a personal God or Gods. The particular form of the Greek Gods were no more or less real than Christian forms.
Quote:

For non-integer numbers, the factorial function is generalized as n! == Gamma[n+1], where Gamma[n] is the Euler Gamma function (the integral over t from zero to infinity of t^n-1 * e^-t).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:59 am
There are as many versions of the truth as there are individuals to observe it.

At an atomic level there is no such thing as truth. Quantum effects reduce all to a probability.

Its only at a higher level that we can agree on what we might call a truth. But thats only an evolutionary thing, necessary for catching food and keeping dry.

If we could "see" how things really "are" we couldnt function as living beings.

Just my 2pence worth.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:39 am
Steve,

You are correct except that there IS no "really are". All "observation" is an energy exchange between "observer" and "observed" but as Heisenberg implied we can never see either of these "objectively".

Our concepts like "human beings" or "God" have as much to do with how we differentiate them from other concepts as how they constitute a constellation of "characteristics". Thus to say "God" is "omnipresent" is basically a differentation from "temporal things" rather than an expression of measurable "physicality". The sleight of hand move by the "religious" is then to ascribe such (holy)"omnipresence" to "the soul" in differentiation to "the body", thereby completing a circular argument conveniently devoid of its differential origins!
0 Replies