Space Heaters & Fire

gollum

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:53 pm
I have read of numerous tragic fires caused by overheated wires to space heaters.

Why don't the space heater manufacturers use higher rated wires?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 766 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:36 pm
A vexing question. Perhaps those wires cost more?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:41 pm
The space heater wires are safe--the problem comes when the space heaters are plugged into wires that aren't capable of carrying the load.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:55 pm
Plus, I bought a nifty space heater for my garage studio in California, admittedly not the coldest place, but brisk on a midwinter evening, and did not use it because of a little side note about not using around certain vapors, er, like oil paint fumes. Grrrrrr.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:42 am
Space Heaters & Fire
Noddy24-
Thank you.

I guess you mean plugged into an electrical socket that isn't capable of carrying the load.

I think that would cause the fuse or circuit breaker to "blow" or switch off.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:22 pm
Gollum--

I Googled "space heaters house fires" and found:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=House+fires+space+heaters

People will put space heaters next to flammable material. This is not a good idea.

My impression is that a space heater plugged into old or inadquate wiring may be fine for the first hour or the first three hours or the first twelve hours, but eventually the old/inadequate wire heats to the point of combustion.

Have you seen the way some people use extension cords? Or saw off the third prong of a heavy duty appliance so that it can be plugged into a convenient socket?

I'd guess that all space heaters are inspected before they leave the factory. All buyers of space heaters are not inspected before they leave the store.
0 Replies