A Prayer for America - by Pastor Southwick D.D.

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
Good o'l Southwick, still kickin, did you know he was ordained in 1938? God Bless him. This man has seen it all. America just needs a few more men like him.

A Prayer for America
By Pastor George W. Southwick, D.D.

Our Father, which art in heaven, we have not hallowed Thy Name, we are in a storm, Thy mournful remnant is in anguish. LORD, in wrath remember mercy.

Gather America under the shadow of Thy wing. Look upon us who have eaten the fruit of lies. Turn us, we pray, to seek Thy face and Thy way. We confess now our sins, for vain and fruitless is mortal strength. Evil and wickedness now fills our land and cities. We know not where to turn in this dark hour, but unto Thee.

Look down upon our unemployed, the widow and the orphan. Visit the sick and the wounded, the afflicted with wounds and putrefying sores. Pity the poor, the downtrodden, and the debt ridden. Oh God, our help in ages past, be Thou now our hope. Have regard in us. Send forth now Thy saving health.

God, in whom we trust, guide our ship of state - which is now drifting helplessly upon jagged rocks. Let Thy grace and glory shine forth like a beacon light. Are we to be devoured, swallowed up in the belly of the beast our of the sea?

LORD, take Thou the help of our nation. Bring us to safe harbor, "home." Give unto our leaders wisdom with right understanding. Remove far from us, wicked and greedy politicians. Sweep them all away with the besom of Thy destruction. Drive out the money changers from the 'temple.' Curse now, with Thy cursings, the "almighty dollar." Dethrone mammon from all hearts. Teach unto our judges the meaning of justice from now on, upon ungodly lawyers and unrighteous judgements.

Deliver us from preachers and false prophets who feed themselves, and not the flock of God. Make our nation free from the gangster's yoke. Deliver us from all crime and hate - this demonic frenzy! Bundle for burning all noxious tares - injurious tumble weeds. Cause the noise from the beast to cease from our environment. Make our land a Beulah, safe for our children.

Send forth Thy light and Thy truth. Be Thou our salvation, for we are perishing!
In Jesus Name, Amen

source: http://www.thebibleeducator.org/prayer_for_america.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,559 • Replies: 24
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
It never ceases to amaze me in these times of economic prosperity and with health care the rest of the world envies, that some only see wickedness, a ship about to disembowel on the rocks.

I wonder if a severe economic depression would make the reverend feel we've come closer to God.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:24 pm
tycoon wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me in these times of economic prosperity and with health care the rest of the world envies, that some only see wickedness, a ship about to disembowel on the rocks.

I wonder if a severe economic depression would make the reverend feel we've come closer to God.

Verily I say unto ye that yea it might!
0 Replies

michael1

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:24 pm
tycoon wrote:

Well to some people, selfish things like money isn't everything. I think he misses the less materialistic 1950's. When grades were high and crime was low. Out of all the developed countries America scores #39 on basically a 41 country race, some of these are very undeveloped nations. All because our people have gotten away from God have we now have such disastrous consequences.

When comparisons are made on who has the best health care again it is normally on the money profits the Doctors have made, not on cases cured. People are led around like sheeple to think everything is bliss, while 216 Million Americans Are Scientifically Illiterate. Now on the good news The good news: America's science literacy rate is up from a pathetic 10 percent in 1988. The bad news: it's still only 28 percent. http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/duncan/17535/
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:26 pm
michael1 wrote:

Well to some people, selfish things like money isn't everything. /

Yeah. It doesn't matter if you have it. If you don't, it sure matters a helluvalot more.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:47 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
michael1 wrote:

Yeah. It doesn't matter if you have it. If you don't, it sure matters a helluvalot more.

*snaps*

It's no surprize that the those with money find it trivial. It's just to easy to say. I think that some people desire money for other reasons than greed. I more than think, I know. currency is an interesting term when you think about it.

Quote:

Tycoon,
Do I understand you correctly: You think that we (plural) are [ALL] in a time of economic prosperity and that we (plural) [ALL] have health care? I don't think that this pastor fellow see only wickedness, or a ship on the rocks, but instead acts as the uncomfortable voice that reminds us that despite our wealth and heath, it is not so evenly distributed.

Is the fact that other countries have far worse conditions the barameter that allows our politicians to do nothing for our suffering? Do we have to be in a worse situation to validate our citizens suffering?

I hope not.
0 Replies

michael1

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:14 am
Bella Dea wrote:
michael1 wrote:

I still dont think money is the issue. I believe in the old maxim "if you dont work you dont eat", and Jesus saying if you have clothes, food and shelter be happy with these as you do God's work, He continues: "Seek Ye First The Kingdom of God and His Righteousness and All These Things Shall Be Added Unto You."

It has little to do with what we get out of it, we have all of our needs met if we're living biblically. I've considered moving to Africa, and from time to time still am considering it where I could just do farm labor and live off the land like all the early settlers of America did with no money, no conveniences, and still made the best because they had JESUS. God has always blessed the God fearing bible believing peoples at large with prosperity which is very seldom financial. I think money is just another way of letting bankers steal. Tell me what an average American has, less than the Africans who have land & farms. Most Americans really only own a can of salmonila peanut butter, the rest is on credit they owe to the bank and renting an apartment they can hardly afford, with huge debts to a bank they can never pay off. Bartering works better and is still viable and possible. Ya I agree currency is very interesting, but I still think irrelevant to the Christian no matter where in the world you are.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:29 am
Quote:
Is the fact that other countries have far worse conditions the barameter that allows our politicians to do nothing for our suffering?

Sometimes those who suffer do it almost compulsively. You can relieve them all they want, and they will only find new ways to suffer. The means to end one's own poverty or suffering is not money. It comes from within, and if the resolve to not be a victim isn't present in the individual, the individual will always be a victim no matter what our governments do.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:45 am
michael1 wrote:

I still dont think money is the issue. I believe in the old maxim "if you dont work you dont eat", .

And if there is no where to work you still starve and it's your fault?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
michael1 wrote:

I still dont think money is the issue. I believe in the old maxim "if you dont work you dont eat", and Jesus saying if you have clothes, food and shelter be happy with these as you do God's work, He continues: "Seek Ye First The Kingdom of God and His Righteousness and All These Things Shall Be Added Unto You."

It has little to do with what we get out of it, we have all of our needs met if we're living biblically. I've considered moving to Africa, and from time to time still am considering it where I could just do farm labor and live off the land like all the early settlers of America did with no money, no conveniences, and still made the best because they had JESUS. God has always blessed the God fearing bible believing peoples at large with prosperity which is very seldom financial. I think money is just another way of letting bankers steal. Tell me what an average American has, less than the Africans who have land & farms. Most Americans really only own a can of salmonila peanut butter, the rest is on credit they owe to the bank and renting an apartment they can hardly afford, with huge debts to a bank they can never pay off. Bartering works better and is still viable and possible. Ya I agree currency is very interesting, but I still think irrelevant to the Christian no matter where in the world you are.

michael obviously has never bad back bills and collectors at his door or no heat because he can't pay his bills and feed his family at the same time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
tycoon wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me in these times of economic prosperity and with health care the rest of the world envies,

That is the most idiotic thing I have ever seen posted on A2K.
0 Replies

michael1

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:18 am
Bella Dea wrote:
michael1 wrote:

I still dont think money is the issue. I believe in the old maxim "if you dont work you dont eat", .

And if there is no where to work you still starve and it's your fault?

I never said it wouldn't be tough, of course life can be hard. Just with Jesus we do have extra protections.

Psa 37:25 "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:34 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Sometimes those who suffer do it almost compulsively. You can relieve them all they want, and they will only find new ways to suffer. The means to end one's own poverty or suffering is not money. It comes from within, and if the resolve to not be a victim isn't present in the individual, the individual will always be a victim no matter what our governments do.

Do you sincerely think that for the majority of the poor in the US today, the cause of their poverty is their eagerness to "find new ways to suffer", their lack of "resolve to not be a victim"?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:36 am
michael1 wrote:
I've considered moving to Africa, and from time to time still am considering it where I could just do farm labor and live off the land like all the early settlers of America did with no money, no conveniences, and still made the best because they had JESUS.

And the reason you havent cast aside your material posessions and gone off to work in Africa or live off the land is?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
nimh wrote:
michael1 wrote:
I've considered moving to Africa, and from time to time still am considering it where I could just do farm labor and live off the land like all the early settlers of America did with no money, no conveniences, and still made the best because they had JESUS.

And the reason you havent cast aside your material posessions and gone off to work in Africa or live off the land is?

flush toilets and hot showers.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:43 am
nimh wrote:
Do you sincerely think that for the majority of the poor in the US today, the cause of their poverty is their eagerness to "find new ways to suffer", their lack of "resolve to not be a victim"?

No I don't. But I do think that many suffer almost narcissistically. Their suffering is all they have, and so they cling to it. It's a vicious circle. Those who are poor sometimes come to define themselves in terms of their poverty, and thus they will have to abandon their sense of self to end their poverty. Unless you are aware of this it is very hard to do.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:44 am
Cyracuz wrote:
nimh wrote:

No I don't. But I do think that many suffer almost narcissistically. Their suffering is all they have, and so they cling to it.

How large or small a share of America's poor would you say this holds true for?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:49 am
I don't know. I don't live in america, and the number of people who do so there might be very small.

But here in Norway, where a place to live will be provided for you if you don't have one, and the state will provide for you if you don't have a job or cannot provide for yourself, people still suffer. I know from experience that it's possible to live well off what the state provides, so this suffering from those who claim to be poor in my country strikes me as more narcissistic and ego based. They're just pissed because others have more, but not willing to do the work to get there themselves.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:42 am
Well, I'm from Holland myself, where social services and benefits are probably more sparse than in Norway. But where they are still a lot more available than in the US. And even in Holland I would myself not say that any significant share of the poor is poor because of how they find ever new new ways to suffer.

For one, there are many who have become unemployed or poor through no fault of their own, and some of them never find the way back up/out either. But also regarding those who have been poor for a large part of their life or even across generations, I think that your characterisation is a simplification of the many and complex traps involved in a culture of poverty.

Because there is such a thing of course. It is simply hard to mobilise the skills, contacts and confidence needed to make your way up and out if you have had inferior education, or have never been encouraged to seek education or see it as particularly important. If there are no role models around you who spur the idea in you that it is possible to achieve a better life. If you are living in a community where most people feel that it's no use and the world's a hostile place; if you havent imbibed this self-evident sense of self-confidence or even entitlement that people from well-to-do families seem to have that, of course they deserve a good job; if you dont know people who might help you out with the practicalities of seeking a job or get you a minor job or internship to start out with; or people who might lend you a few hundred dollars to bridge the kind of gap you might need to invest in a career (start off with an unpaid internship somewhere promising, for example); let alone a few thousand dollars to help you set up your own small business or pay off an old debt that's keeping you down; if you havent been out and about the way middle-class people have (because there was never any money to), and you therefore miss certain skills that are needed to get jobs - people skills, how to behave in certain environments, and practical skills, not being intimidated by complex situations or unknown environments; if you suffer from psychological problems or health problems (which are both more prevalent among the poor); etc etc.

Most people who are long-term unemployed, or on very low incomes, for a long time or even over generations, face any combination of these obstacles. Of course there are those who are exceptionally strong-minded or talented who do still make their way out, but that doesnt mean that the others werent trying, or even actively (if subconcsiously) chose their poverty. Just that they didnt succeed in overcoming the extra hurdles and obstacles that middle-class folk just arent faced with.

Cyracuz wrote:
I know from experience that it's possible to live well off what the state provides, so this suffering from those who claim to be poor in my country strikes me as more narcissistic and ego based.

Well, again I dont know what its like in Norway of course, but Ive seen how hard it is to survive on welfare in Holland. It might work to a basic extent if you're a young single guy, and it's only a transitory thing (and you are blessed with the confidence to know it will be, and perhaps with family that is able to lend you some money in case of any emergency). But being a single mum on welfare, for example, like a friend of mine, severely restricts your opportunities to even reach the means you'd need to get out of that trap. And no, "well off" she aint.

Ive lived on minimum income as well, when I lived with an immigrant girlfriend who didnt have a job yet, and its amazing how quickly the wear and tear of getting by on a shoestring can make you downbeat, reclusive, stressed and/or demoralised - none of which in turn helps you when you do go out to try to make it through job interviews and the like.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:49 am
You have many good points nimh.

It seems my view is indeed a bit over-simplified. I'm sure it sticks for some, but not all by a long shot.
0 Replies