RELIGION - WHATS THE POINT?

John Creasy

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:52 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_archaeology
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 03:11 am
Do you really want me to post sites on the Internet asserting that they can prove space aliens are living among us?

C'mon, John.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 07:37 am
Nice evasion Frankie. I posted a perfectly credible source and it shows your ignorance and arrogance that you won't even acknowlege it. I didn't link opinions, just facts.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:58 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Nice evasion Frankie.

Oh my. Frankie??? Accusations of "evasions?"

Already flustered, are you?

Quote:
I posted a perfectly credible source...

Ahhh...."perfectly credible" is it?????

And...ahhh...we should take your word on this?

Quote:
... and it shows your ignorance and arrogance that you won't even acknowlege it.

Wow...this early into this thing and you are already supposing me to be ignorant and arrogant.

Gosh...you are in such a hurry, John.

Suggestion: Go a bit slower. Your blood pressure will be the better for it.

Quote:

I didn't link opinions, just facts.

Actually...you linked a link...and probably are just guess that the site the link links to...contains any facts.

But why quibble?

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
Frank, do you dismiss Wikipedia the same as you dismiss most other sources that are not your own? Seems that John has you pegged pretty well.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 03:03 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank, do you dismiss Wikipedia the same as you dismiss most other sources that are not your own?

Have I said that I "dismiss it?"

Or did I ask John if we should take his word that it is a "perfectly credible source?"

Try to stay focused, Intrepid.

Quote:

Seems that John has you pegged pretty well.

I doubt that...but you would agree with anyone who disagrees with me. No problem with that, Intrepid. I take it as a compliment.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:09 am
John Creasy wrote:
BTW, as far as the Bible goes, there are many events that have been proven by archaeology so you can't say that it is entirely fabricated. You can doubt the validity of certain aspects(like miracles, resurrections, etc.) but the general context of the Bible has plenty of validity.

Frank, this is a valid point. There has been more than a few conclusive studies and digs done at sites depicted in the bible.

Keep in mind, that all good fairy tales have a grain of truth in them, else they would be so totally unbelievable as to seem ridiculous.
0 Replies

ngangoli

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 03:43 pm
The point of Religion
Hi,

The point of religion and meditation and spirituality is simple. It is to realise our oneness with the rest of existence, with the Universe or if you don't mind the term - to attain union with God.

Quantum physics reached the conclusion some years back that the Universe is one organic whole. We are not separate entities - separate from the rest of existence. We are actually one with the Universe - just as the heart and the lungs are one with the human body. It is our habit of making distinctions with the mind that we see ourselves, and the heart and the lungs as separate and not one with the whole.

Edit: Moderator: Link removed
regards

Nikhil
0 Replies

wan

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:13 pm
Main point of religion:
To save you so that you will not degrade further in terms of morals which will eventually lead to self destruction and the end of everything. Take science cloning for the obvious example. This leads back to the issue of morals. People either believe and adhere to it or they don't.

If one thinks further a little, religion is also to save Other people, so stop thinking about yourself.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 02:09 pm
wan wrote:
Main point of religion:
To save you so that you will not degrade further in terms of morals which will eventually lead to self destruction and the end of everything. Take science cloning for the obvious example. This leads back to the issue of morals. People either believe and adhere to it or they don't.

If one thinks further a little, religion is also to save Other people, so stop thinking about yourself.

Pfft... That's not the point of religion.

I can come to the same conclusion as you about cloning (what the heck is "science cloning"?) without religion. Obviously, religion must have a completely different purpose.

I would say the purpose of religion is a tool to enforce group identity, whilst at the same time scaring the minority into conforming. The idea of religion is also selfish in a way, because prayer doesn't actually help other people, but has bizarrely been shown scientifically to improve one's health. (I myself am quite sceptical about that piece of research, but to each his own, I say...)

It's sad to say that there are those who really wouldn't be good people without religion. It's nice though, to know that there are people out there, a good deal of people, who are nice without religion and come to nearly all the same conclusions that a religious people would concerning what is right and wrong.
0 Replies