Violence in the shadows

coberst

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:18 pm
Violence in the shadows

There are various forms of violence; science categorizes them by the human unconscious motivation.

Playful violence is not motivated by hate or the urge to destroy but in the pursuit of displaying skill. However, there is often unconscious aggression and destructiveness hidden behind the explicit logic of the game.

Reactive violence is that which is employed in defense of life, freedom or dignity. It is rooted in fear, which can be imagined or real, it can be conscious or unconscious. This form of violence is in the service of life and not destruction. It implies certain proportionality between means and end.

Often the perceived threat is a result of outside manipulation by political or religious leaders. Reactive violence is often that which is vigorously defended as being necessary. We do not want to be facing the possibility that our violence is without reason. We always want to be confident that we are independent thinkers capable of distinguishing truth from fiction. We vehemently deny any hint of having been manipulated into violence by our leaders.

Frustration is often the cause for reactive violence. Also this form of violence can be induced as a result of envy and jealousy.

Revengeful violence induced by revenge is reaction to something already having happened. The strength of the revenge motive is in "inverse proportion to the strength and productiveness of a group or of an individual." The impotent individual has but one recourse for reestablishing his lost self-esteem, "an eye for an eye". The person who lives productively is not driven to such extremes; s/he can easily forget such insults because living productively provides immunity against the emotion of revenge.

"Psychoanalytic material demonstrates that the mature, productive person is less motivated by the desire for revenge than the neurotic person who has difficulties in living independently and fully, and who is often prone to stake his whole existence on the wish for revenge."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 527 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 04:21 am
i am a violent person. my partner enjoys the playful violence that we do now and then, but as we are playing the ''game'' i do have to conciously control myself because i can feel the game getting out of hand and need to stop it going that far. last night scared me because she started talking about the introduction of knives into our games.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:51 am
What about blind violence?

In the town where I live there was a man who used to draw an imaginairy line in the street, and whoever crossed the line he would beat senseless.
Completely indiscriminate violence just because he feels like it...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:21 pm
Cyracuz

I think that Fromm would call that the Fruitcake violence.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:21 pm
Yeah.. Maybe he was a fruitcake...
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:31 am
What about (I can't think of a better word) participatory violence...violence which, without our eventual participation wouldn't occur. I was thinking a cattle butcher yard Shocked
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:49 am
vikorr

I think that many words that we use have more than one meaning. The word 'violence' is one of them and there is a technical meaning and a common usage meaning. Fromm is trying to lay down a technical meaning for this word and I think that you are raising a common usage for the word. I suspect this usage would not readily fit within the technocal vocabulary.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:16 am
Quote:
science categorizes them by the human unconscious motivation

Doh, I read most, but not the first line properly...

I wonder then...where the pre-emptive strike comes in....or would they arguing that pre-emptive is really just an extension of re-active?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:16 am
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
science categorizes them by the human unconscious motivation

Doh, I read most, but not the first line properly...

I wonder then...where the pre-emptive strike comes in....or would they arguing that pre-emptive is really just an extension of re-active?

The unconscious motive can easily be the same for either form of foolishness.
0 Replies