Anybody moved from the US to Australia?

rave04

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:35 pm
Hi I am in transition to move to Australia from the US. I am looking out for the best method of transporting both my pet cat and my motorcycle. I would like to get some info as to how could I do it both economically and correctly especially with bringing animals and vehicles to Aust. HAve any one of you transported such items?If you have could you give me some pointers wrt cost and which freight service you had used.Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 545 • Replies: 2
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:16 pm
from http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=3513E665-C914-4401-BEFEEF6E521F00A0
Quote:
Conditions for importing dogs and cats vary depending on the country of origin. However, all animals entering Australia require an import permit, issued by AQIS. To obtain an import permit, an application to import your pet must be completed and returned to the quarantine station of your choice. Your application must include your pet's microchip number. The import permit contains Veterinary Certificate A and B which must be completed and endorsed by an official veterinarian in the country of export prior to the arrival of your pet in Australia.

The owner/importer must pay all quarantine fees associated with the import and quarantine accommodation of your dog or cat in Australia.

Animals from the US require a 30-day quarantine.

Here's there info on quarantines (from http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=768C53F1-E1E3-47B6-A1516B834217B7F8 ):

Quote:
The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) wishes to advise that
all Australian animal quarantine stations are at full capacity and all stations are fully booked for several months.

People wishing to have their pets accommodated at an Australian animal quarantine station should apply for an import permit at least 5 months in advance of anticipated departure.

An import permit does not guarantee a space at an animal quarantine station.

BOOKINGS MUST BE MADE FOR YOUR PET/S.

To book a space at an Australian animal quarantine station, a permit number is required. Once an import permit has been issued for your pet/s and you have a permit number, contact the relevant animal quarantine station to make a reservation. Please note the waiting time can be at least 5 months.

Provision of an airway bill number to the animal quarantine station will be required to confirm your pet/s reservation closer to the time of departure.

I don't know, but unless your bike's got a lot of sentimental or monetary value that can't be recouped by selling it, you might be better off selling the bike in the states and buying a new one in Oz.

Good luck. A couple of dear old friends of mine have moved down under. One of these years I'll make it down to see them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:38 pm
Quote:
don't know, but unless your bike's got a lot of sentimental or monetary value that can't be recouped by selling it, you might be better off selling the bike in the states and buying a new one in Oz.

Same with the cat. we have enough bloody cats here already. And if you do bring it make sure you keep it locked up. Ferral cats are a major problem for Australia financially and environmentally.
0 Replies