THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 12:29 am
@Kolyo,
izzy is a strong supporter of the Saints ... and posts/posted about football frequently.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 12:34 am
@Kolyo,
Football, the EU referendum, and the possible cost of Brexit
Quote:
[...]
The possible effects of ‘Brexit’ are uncertain. In any case, the effects would not take effect for between two and seven years, depending on how long it might take to uncouple the UK from the EU.

Note that the UK means the totality of the four ‘home nations’. The historic, sporting individuality of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is irrelevant. All four all ‘mere’ regions under EU law. There is no difference in terms of tax and social security budget.
[...]
None of 53 non-British EU players in the Scottish top division would qualify for a permit on the basis of their international career alone. The same applies for 63 non-British EU players in the English third division and 46 in the fourth.
[...]
Most financial experts predict that a vote to Leave would cause significant harm – in the short term at least – to the British economy with loss of value of the pound sterling, company shares and consumers’ spending power. This might be felt in terms of Premier television and domestic sponsorship income.

But again, clubs at the top of the financial food chain do not believe they will suffer. The finances of the likes of Manchester United and City, Chelsea and Arsenal depend significantly on mega-bucks from the Gulf states and multinationals.

Player agent Rachel Anderson believes they misunderstand the danger.

She says: “Leaving the EU will have a much bigger effect on football than people think. We’re talking about half of the Premier League needing work permits. The short-term impact would be huge but you could argue it will help in the long term as it could force clubs to concentrate on home-grown talent.”
... ... ...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:38 am
@Kolyo,
RL knows that. Calling someone the opposite gender is what classes as wit when you're a sexist idiot.

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 09:27 am
Bump.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Izzythepush has shown no evidence that his mind is on football. I brought up the subject. And he's a guy, not a gal.

Thank you for sharing, I get reality wrong more often than I wish to admit.
I do not know why I thought Izzy was a girl for many years but it is nice to know the truth. What do you think about this?
Do you think that the EU Is Like the Titanic, or do you think this is a minority view?

Kolyo

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
There was a member named Izzie who posted here in the past, also British.

I think she may still post occasionally.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:27 pm
@Kolyo,
Maybe I confused her with him. Well any way thank you for clearing it up. Shocked
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 08:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
As for the future of the EU and the UK, I don't know what the future will bring. Life is going to become more complicated for Brits doing business with those on the Continent, and vice versa. In general I find regulations that exist for no good reason to be a bad thing, and laws that spring up out of nowhere restricting who can work where fall into that category. I feel most sorry for the Irish, though, who from what I've read, will have to pass through a customs and immigration border when visiting certain neighboring towns.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:57 pm
@Kolyo,
I seen Izzy's name in this video many years ago and for some crazy reason I thought he too was just as petite.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:23 pm
Iceland (UEFA-ranking no 35), population: 332,529
Leicester (English champion), population: 337,653

Just saying, but 25 minutes to go ...
McTag

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

It seems Football England are taking this Brexit idea really seriously.
lmur

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:57 pm
@McTag,
BREAKING NEWS - FLOOD ALERT WARNING IN SCOTLAND AS THE NATION PISSES ITSELF LAUGHING.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:57 pm
@McTag,
It's about big money. Who an blame them?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 12:10 am
@lmur,
S&P just downgraded England football to LOL
roger

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 12:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Awww now.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 12:14 am
@roger,
Well, they didn't accept that Hodgson was the only man in England with a coherent plan for leaving Europe.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 12:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, okay then - I guess.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
John Snow has been hailed the King in the North, Tyrion has been named Cersei's hand and the fleet has set sail for Westeros.

And in all honesty that's better than thinking about Brexit or England's bloody abysmal performance last night. There will be the usual post mortem where the Premiership is blamed, but something is very wrong when the only team with a 100% record in the qualifying groups, who also comfortably beat World Champions Germany in a friendly, goes out against Iceland. Maybe Harry Kane has got burnout, look at what happened to Chelsea last season.

Or maybe, after seeing what he did to the High Sparrow and the Tyrells nobody wants to piss off the Mountain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xc89w

As far as football goes I'm more interested in what Claude Puel is getting up to.

margo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 07:53 am
@izzythepush,
ITP

Surely you can take some consolation from the English rugby performance?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 08:43 am
@margo,
I don't even know how they're doing. It's not something I can watch, but thanks anyway.
0 Replies