THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:45 am

So. It's official, then. The Scots are the most friendly and pleasant people in the UK.

We knew that already, of course.

(Why only in the UK?)
McTag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:47 am
boo
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:48 am
bip
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:48 am
bla
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:58 am
@McTag,
Because the tartan mafia doesn't control the media outside of the UK.
Ionus

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:40 am
@McTag,
Quote:
The Scots are the most friendly and pleasant people in the UK.
You've ne'er bin to Glasgow den, laddie ?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
Is that anything along the lines of the Protocols of the Elders of Chalanais?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:04 am
@InfraBlue,
More like, 'Stitch that!'

0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:16 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

So. It's official, then. The Scots are the most friendly and pleasant people in the UK.

We knew that already, of course.

(Why only in the UK?)

More Australians elsewhere!
McTag

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:39 am
@margo,

Not a lot happening here.
Is Pellegrini on the skids, like his team?
I wonder what happened to Smorgs. And Spendy. I think they got fed up.
After the excesses of Easter, I put myself on (another) diet. I had a grated apple and some muesli this morning, not too much, and the non-sugar kind.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 01:56 pm
So, a lot of you Brits are critisizing Cameron for being a prig and eating a hot dog with a knife and fork.

The first thing that came to mind when I read this is, you all eat hot dogs?
McTag

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 03:53 pm
@InfraBlue,

Only when there's an election to contest.

Cameron's butler usually pre-chews his food for him.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 04:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
Why the surprise? An American started a thread on fish and chips.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 08:32 am
Since I drove my Diesel-car three and four days ago, I'm very sorrey to have contributed to today's smog!
Quote:
While politicians are often fond of emphasising the overseas element of such pollution spikes – especially the occasional phenomenon of Saharan sand blowing across to the UK – a considerable part of the current smog comes from local sources, according to Defra. A spokeswoman for the department said: “In this incident, the majority of the pollution is made up from locally generated particulate matter, which has been trapped closer to the earth because of high pressure and still weather conditions.

“This has combined with some pollution coming in from the near continent and a small contribution from Saharan dust.”

Nigel Jenkins from Sussex-Air, a group run by a series of local councils and health bodies, said the Brighton pollution, forecast to possibly hit the rare “very high” level after the evening rush hour, was primarily composed of tiny PM2.5-type particles, which often come from vehicle emissions, especially diesel engines, and industrial pollution.
[...]
While such actions worked in big cities, Jenkins said, they would have less of an immediate impact in Brighton: “We are also talking about transboundary pollution here, so unless we stop people driving in northern Germany three or four days ago, it won’t completely stop. But obviously local elements play a part in it.”
Source

By the way: it's now 21°C here (51°40' N ), 23°C at noon.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:27 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Why the surprise? An American started a thread on fish and chips.

True.

Mmm, fish and chips...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 02:16 pm

I'd say Pellegrini definitely on the skids now, even though two of the United goals were offside.
I don't like it when United win, did I mention that?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 02:28 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I don't like it when United win, did I mention that?
But they did. As does Liverpool just now (I think, 18 minutes to go)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 02:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
And they've gone above us. (I've said it, so you don't have to.)
Kolyo

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Just out of curiosity, how do Brits generally pick football teams to support?

Is it mostly just a case of backing the local boys?

I don't live in the UK, so I had to think a while whom to support. When England beat Germany 5-1 in a 2001 away match in the late stages of World Cup qualifying all 5 England goals were from Reds' players. That tipped the balance in Liverpool's favour at the time as far I was concerned. At the time I liked them because they had all the trendy young England stars. I stayed with them after Owen and Heskey left because of what Bill Shankly's club seemed to symbolize politically.

From what I have found online, actual Liverpudlians seem to resent support from Americans like me. But perhaps they don't understand there are Americans and Americans. The kind of people who would become LFC fans over here are not behind them because of the 18 titles they have won. There could be multitudes over here and in other countries who would support them because in these morally sick times we live in there is nothing else to get behind.

http://www.liverpoolrsa.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1394345_330876887052512_426660510_n.jpg

EDIT -- Don't worry, I'm not trying to convert anyone to supporting my team. Just telling my own story.
McTag

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 03:22 am
@Kolyo,

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how do Brits generally pick football teams to support?

You'd get a million different answers to that.

I support City (that is, Manchester City) because my two pals here support United.
But I'm not native to this place. Although born into the "blue" side of Glasgow, I supported Celtic in the 1960s when I was there because I disapproved of the sectarianism of the Rangers support.

AS far as Liverpool are concerned, you might be surprised to find fans travel regularly from Norway and elsewhere for home matches. Lots of Irish come to Old Trafford too.