THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:07 am
McTag wrote:
smorgs wrote:
Wonder whats spendipoos is doing?

D'ya think he might be going to his local?

Expect Muckty will be waiting for Burns night.

x

No, Scots celebrate both. Or so I'm told. Just a bit.

Glasgow Herald' s piece

http://www.theherald.co.uk/display.var.1935324.0.0.php?utag=28480
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:18 am
didnt they cancel new year last year in Scotland?

Happy 2007 mcT and all Mcs and Macs
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:36 am
Rained off in the open esp in Edinburgh, Princes Street Gardens, where the main hooley takes place. No not rain, strong gales. Very wild weather. Dangerous.

Happy last year to you too.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:48 am
Great news.

Richie Benaud and Geoff Boycott are back on the Sky commentary teams. Have they been missed?? Not half. Public opinion gets through and money talks. It's a consumer society don't you know.

The Customer is always right. "You lucky people!!" as Arthur Askey used to say. Now you've got Jasper Carrot and Ben Elton telling you how miserable you are. It certainly is "alternative" humour. Your leaders are ****, the NHS is ****, the whole bloody thing is **** and there was Arthur shouting "You lucky people!!" rolling his eyes. And they were on dripping butties I'm told.

Now you're balancing your judgement on which exotic location to temporarily associate yourselves with by choosing a particular curry which was made on an industrial estate using minimum-wage labour units and that's not including the chickens. (CLUCK!CLUCK)

PS. It is a ritual of my religious sense to say CLUCK!CLUCK! when ever I hear the word "Chicken". The Chicken was the Sacred Bird of the Sumerian civilisation which, as we all know, represents our earliest beginnings. I am Chicken Conscious. It is supposed to be centred in Hollywood but to have branched out as well. I have a book about it. It's title is CLUCK!CLUCK!. It claims there's a "Chicken" scene in every movie made by adherents to this religion. Sometimes it's subtle like when Marty chopped the head off a Chicken and sometimes not so subtle like the last scene in Convoy when Kris crashes his truck into a Chicken unit.

I think I could put together a chain of thought explaining why it is a feature of the movie industry.

Anyway--that's why I did the CLUCK!CLUCK! thing. I'm not a fundamentalist though.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:35 am
Time to say goodbye for a while chaps. I am unwell and can't post as regularly. To save me feeling guilty (as you know I was raised a Catholic), I think it's better to have a complete break for a while, but I will be back.

And in the words of the fat lady at the end of Morcambe and Wise (was it Janet Webb?).

Goodnight, and I love you all.

Sarah
xxxxx
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:42 am
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, Smorgs, every schoolgirl knows that the best way back to health and strength is to read and post regularly on this, your very own thread. But you have chosen some devious other method. La donna e mobile for sure, as we are ofttimes reminded.

Anyway get well soon, chuck.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:43 am
Come back quickly, Sarah!

x
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:41 pm
smorgs wrote:
Time to say goodbye for a while chaps. I am unwell and can't post as regularly. To save me feeling guilty (as you know I was raised a Catholic), I think it's better to have a complete break for a while, but I will be back.

And in the words of the fat lady at the end of Morcambe and Wise (was it Janet Webb?).

Goodnight, and I love you all.

Sarah
xxxxx
of course you will be back. If not I'm quitting too. Coming out in sympathy illness. Sincerely hope you come back post haste as it were.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:30 pm
You may not have noticed, but the only time we get a quorum here, is when Smorgs is on. Well, not "on" exactly, if you see what I mean. On.

Her presence, in other words, is required.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:32 pm
Hang together or hang separately.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:32 pm
Oh, hang it.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:35 am
Get well soon Smorgs and Steve. I'll also include myself as I'm still coughing up half crowns. What a good start to 2008.

IT'S SNOWING! HEAVILY! It looks very pretty, but I'd prefer it to be doing its stuff somewhere else.

I'm going back to bed.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:22 am
I'm ok thanks. Its Doowop and Ms Smorgs who need all sympathy. McT cant you pop round with a thermos flask and a lemsip?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:11 am
Not much snow here yet, but the sled dogs and the snowshoes are standing by in readiness, for whenever I get the call.

Actually didn't Smorgs say she was back at work last week? I offered to take a flask round.

Maybe a St Bernard with some brandy would be best.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:32 am
President Musharraf has announced to his countrymen that Scotland Yard will send a team to Pakistan to investigate the murder of Benazir Bhutto.

What's that all about? Can you imagine that happening in any other country?
"One of our politicians has been murdered. Let's send for a British police team to get to the bottom of this".

I don't get it.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:34 am
I've just got back from yet another trip to the GP, and as the cough hasn't shifted I've now been given a stronger course of antibiotics and if that doesn't do the trick he's going to put me down.
Or was that put me down on a list for hospital tests? Anywhichway, Benson & Hedges shares must have dropped over the past fortnight, as I've only got through one packet in that time. I've not had one for three days and am presently covering any spare parts of my torso with patches.

You never know, I may become one of the reformed in 2008. Heaven forbid!

Hope everyone else is recovering/staying well.

Where is everyone, by the way?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:55 am
Right now, I'm in France...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:28 am
I'd give them up DW if I was you. It's not that fags are bad for a person so much as that they are bad for somebody in the state you present to us.

The first fag one ever smokes can hardly be bad for you. Nowhere near as much as walking to school.

You've had your share by the sound of it. A forty a day-er I hardly doubt. And gasped down deep. I can't even suck down fresh dewladen air on a spring morning as far as I've seen some folks suck down a long pull which glows for three seconds. Were you anything like that. You can see them outside maternity wards doing that. Nerves. In any interpretation I can put on Darwin they should be taking the opportunity of having a night on the tiles. Maybe two or three. A last fling before Bringing Up Baby kicks in.

I have always been moderate in my love affairs one of which group of things is what Mr Barrie called My Lady Nicotine. Beer and betting too. Snooker. You know--the things that matter. Like double steak pudding, double chips, mushy peas, double bread and butter, double gravy, choice of Premium Sauce and a mug of thick, sweet tea with creamy bubbles on top. You shouldn't have second helpings after that. It's immoderate.

It might be easier giving up if you thought that you have had your share and it's your body telling you and anybody who doesn't listen to messages from that source is nuts. That there's a certain disrespect shown to the body in finding it difficult to give up when told to by that authority. And you are being told. It's like sulking.

Anyway- All the best. I hope everybody's alright soon. Which is the equivalent of hoping that the medical profession is redundant.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:54 am
Jesus, man. You're scaring the life out of me.

I've done enough of that for myself over the past fortnight, thanks very much.
No, you're dead right, apart from the 40 a day part. Never went over 20, and only smoked that many because of habit. Daily rituals, you do a certain thing and automatically light up. Reading the paper, stepping back from work for a while to admire or get annoyed with what progress has been made. Tea breaks, the compulsory one after the sandwich has been eaten and a nice brew is looking at you, one to start the day, one to end it, that sort of thing.

I'm thinking of quitting the patches too, and just going cold turkey to get it over and done with.

Thanks for the third party scaring, anyway. Progress reports may or may not be forthcoming, depending on mood swing.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
Britons have now been advised to stay away from hospitals as they might get sick there.

Shocked Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

I'm still hale and hearty, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know.

Hey Spendy, I certainly liked your poetic description of that meal.

Arteriosclerosis R us.
0 Replies