How to Answer Theist Arguments

real life

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:21 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
I also find it ironic that creationists couch their ideas in scientific terms (ID) even though they reject the core assumption of science; methodological naturalism.
Some adhere to selective methodological naturalism! Come to think of it many (most?) people do, not just creationists.

Methodological naturalism is the basic assumption which allows us to learn from our surroundings. Even those who do not appreciate it as a foundation of the scientific method, still use it on a daily basis even if they are unaware of what they are doing.

One need not assume that all things have a natural cause to learn from our surroundings.

Correct, which is why science doesn't do that.

You need to understand the difference between methodological naturalism and mataphysical naturalism.

Wiki wrote:
Many modern philosophers of science[1][2] use the terms methodological naturalism or scientific naturalism to refer to the long standing convention in science of the scientific method, which makes the methodological assumption that observable effects in nature are best explainable only by similarly natural causes, and with irrelevance to the assumption of the existence or non-existence of supernatural elements, and so considers supernatural explanations for such events to be outside of science. They contrast this with the approach known as ontological naturalism or metaphysical naturalism, which refers to the metaphysical belief that the natural world (including the universe) is all that exists, and therefore nothing supernatural exists.

This distinction between approaches to the philosophy of naturalism is made by philosophers supporting science and evolution in the creation-evolution controversy to counter the tendency of some proponents of Creationism or intelligent design to refer to methodological naturalism as scientific materialism or as methodological materialism and conflate it with metaphysical naturalism to support their claim that modern science is atheistic. They contrast this with their preferred approach of a revived natural philosophy which welcomes supernatural explanations for natural phenomena and supports "theistic science" or pseudoscience.

It is a distinction without a difference if the bottom line is that you approach every situation assuming that you know the answer (it has a natural cause) before you have investigated.

From your source:

'the scientific method, which makes the methodological assumption that observable effects in nature are best explainable only[/u] by similarly natural causes' emphasis mine
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 01:12 am
The whole of the previous discussion came from Real Life's jibe about "Free Thinkers being instructed..." which was countered by Rosbornes "Creationists usage of scientific method..."

Real Life is the one who projects (on behalf of the thesit/creationist camp) his own "certainty of an ultimate answer" not the freethinkers. The key issue in the face of Godels incompleteness theorem is the attempt by theists at epistemological closure in the form of "a prime mover". If Real Life would read Polkinghorne he would know why Capra is a "good guy" because he advocated the possibility of some form of closure without its logical necessity and without refering to "causality" which (as Polkinghorne is aware) is both philosophically and scientifically bankrupt at the macro-level. This point transcends any reliance on "causality" at the micro-level which like Newtonion physics has local limited "success". Real life is stuck at the local level without travel documents.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
real life wrote:
It is a distinction without a difference if the bottom line is that you approach every situation assuming that you know the answer (it has a natural cause) before you have investigated.

There's a difference between saying, "I assume that something didn't happen supernaturally, so I can start trying to understand it", and saying "I know that the supernatural doesn't exist".

I assume that plants grow from seeds and birds fly in accordance with the laws of physics. Those are naturalistic assumptions but that doesn't mean that the supernatural doesn't exist.

I suppose the difference comes down to whether you want to try to understand something, or just believe something.

In order to understand something you have to do it naturalistically, because almost by definition, we're never going to understand something which is supernatural.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:24 am
fresco wrote:
Chumly,

I don't thnk Polkinhorne considers the implications of technology It is clear that technology is now inextricably linked with "frontier research" but the nature of the (family) relationship is far from clear.

I support the view that scientific hypotheses evolve from exploring analogies between systems via a common mathenatical model. (e.g. solar system and atomic structure). However no research is conducted in a social or political vacuum therefore paradigm shifts owe as much to funding considerations as they do to the "pure creativity" of scientists. Since research technology is expensive and indispensible, we seem to have the seeds of an "unholy alliance".
In Beyond Belief Session 1 physicist Steven Weinberg mentions that in the world of Islam today, science is simply not acceptable, but technology is.

In Moslem countries, the practice of science itself is pretty much forbidden as they feel "the laws of nature put god's hand in chains" thus they try and distance their obvious appreciation and employment of technology from the underlying science.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
In order to understand something you have to do it naturalistically, because almost by definition, we're never going to understand something which is supernatural.
Could you "understand something" by accepting the authority (for want of a better word) implicit in a given piece of technology?

- For example a software map of the world.
- Or if you came upon a crashed alien space craft and found visual records of their day-to-to lives.

It seems to me that (in particular the second example) naturalism in and of itself is not gong to help you understand the alien's day-to-day lives unless or until you can confirm it by direct or indirect measument.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:32 pm
(In response to first post)

Chumly, methinks me likes this.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:39 pm
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Could you "understand something" by accepting the authority (for want of a better word) implicit in a given piece of technology?

- For example a software map of the world.
- Or if you came upon a crashed alien space craft and found visual records of their day-to-to lives.

It seems to me that (in particular the second example) naturalism in and of itself is not gong to help you understand the alien's day-to-day lives unless or until you can confirm it by direct or indirect measument.

The quote you selected was meant to be read in context to the point I was making in reply to RL's challenge.

If we extract it from its context, then I would need to be more specific about what it means to 'understand' something, and in particular, what we were trying to understand.

For example, I don't think that naturalism would be much help in 'understanding' a poem, or an abstract sculpture. However, methodological naturalism does apply to the empirical, which was the intended point of the original post.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:49 pm
aperson,
Yep!

rosborne979,
I get'cha!
0 Replies