Different Religions Week

au1929

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen has proclaimed July 11-18 Different Religions Week: 'During this week, I encourage all citizens of Tennessee to attend a religious service of a faith different than their own, so that religious tolerance may lie closer to our grasp.' The Rice University student who proposed the idea explains why in this essay.

.Different Religions Week

What do you think of this suggestion? Could it be a meaningful experience and a step towards understanding and religious tolerance.[
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,086 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:01 pm
Having read the sentiments, i will comment that they are laudable. And then take note that one swallow does not a summer make.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:29 pm
Yeah..........but it is a start. I don't know how comfortable people would be going to a house of worship not their own.

A number of years ago, my college had a number of adult ed. outings. One day we went on a trip to at least a half dozen houses of worship in NY. What was good was that the leader was in expert in comparative religion. As we went from place to place, he explained the differences in theology. Wonderful day!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:11 pm
Too bad the Governor didn't suggest a week of simply not WORSHIPPING any gods. That would have made lots of sense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:16 pm
The time would be better spent having a all religions picnic that included agnostics and atheists, all races and cultures, with the theme "love your brothers and sisters." c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:40 am
Frank Apisa- I hear ya, but I think that what you are suggesting is grossly impractical. People are not about to give up their religions.............theist, agnostic or atheist, we all need to learn how to coexist happily.

If a governor ever suggested a week of NOT worshipping, there would be a stink heard 'round the country. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 05:37 am
Religious tourism - now there's a novelty !

Of course, like all tourists the visitors will notice superficial differences in the landscape and friendly natives. But the alternative culture can only be "understood" by living in that environment and experiencing all the nuances of social relationships and alternative worldview. What would the Christian female tourist make of say prolonged wearing of the veil in Islam, or abstinence from sexual relations for half of each month in Judaism. These are the substantive issues which separate "us" and "them" not the surface features, and it is these divisions which significanly contribute to a sociopathic substructure in a multicultural society.
0 Replies