why many are not Christians

bretter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:18 pm
its quite simple. Christians today are seen as a group of plain out hypocrites. they act holy on sunday and the rest of the week act like fools. although im christian i see that in myself as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 818 • Replies: 17
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:20 pm
I am not a believer for many more reasons than that. Many may have to do with hypocrisy. How can you love mankind and slaughter so many in the name of christ? For example.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:33 pm
Don't worry... if you are a true Christian, your Jesus has died to save you from your sins... so, just carry on carrying on
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:58 pm
That's irony, right? Sarcasm? Cynicism?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:48 am
Depends on what you call "many".

Although the chart below is from 2000, I don't belive that the data chainged dramatically

http://i9.tinypic.com/2i6o0sl.jpg

Christianity surely is the biggest religion - even today.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:56 am
Interesting chart. "Ethno-religionists"? I suppose I can understand the practical necessity of the term, but I can imagine a few people raising their eyebrows at that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:57 am
Did Frank make up that chart? Atheists 2.5% - Non-religious 12.7%??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:09 am
No, Frank didn't kae it up - that chart is from a "mission" site.

'Ethno-religions' are called in (translated) German 'nature religions', which is an as bad or as good term.
Britannica uses 'ethno-relionists' as well list at Britannica (for subscribers only)

http://i17.tinypic.com/4d61pup.jpg

Chart from wikipedia
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:40 am
I was under the impression that christianity isn't a religion. Cathlocism is a religion etc.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:48 am
mesquite wrote:
Did Frank make up that chart? Atheists 2.5% - Non-religious 12.7%??

No.

think about it this way.

When faced with that question, people think they should appear "right" and PC. They were raised being told that they SHOULD be christians and to be a good human is to be a christian. Rolling Eyes As if you cant respect your parents, not kill anyone and not be a thief with out the bible telling you so.

So they answer " christian"

Good ole peer pressure.

most people dont even own a bible, yet claim to be a christian because they think they should.
It sort of falls in line with the old , yet annoying saying " Think outside the box" Because they dont..

(edited for spelling)
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:37 pm
What I was trying to point out was that in the first chart, athiests were separated out from the other non-religious and sandwiched between the ethno and new religionists. Wiki did better IMO.

http://i9.tinypic.com/2i6o0sl.jpg http://i17.tinypic.com/4d61pup.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:36 pm
What's the difference between athiest and non-relious?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:24 pm
Non religious people can still believe in a God without associating any religion with that belief.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:35 pm
Interesting. I don't remember seeing anything (questionnaire, form, etc.) that asks you whether you are non-religious. Atheists, yes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:20 pm
Sooooo..... the non-religious are christians (or other) who are not practicing? Not going to church/temple/etc?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:40 pm
According to Britannica (link above)
Quote:
Nonreligious: Persons professing no religion, nonbelievers, agnostics, freethinkers, uninterested, or dereligionized secularists indifferent to all religion but not militantly so.

Quote:
Atheists: Persons professing atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious (opposed to all religion).
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 01:19 am
littlek wrote:
What's the difference between athiest and non-relious?

Distinction without a difference.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 01:27 am
cello wrote:
Interesting. I don't remember seeing anything (questionnaire, form, etc.) that asks you whether you are non-religious. Atheists, yes.

Being "non-religious" it is here; I sincerely doubt anyone would ask/answer "Atheist". (Actually, in forms etc it is "religion: none".)
0 Replies