fbaezer & Dux: Mexico's Ruling Party Losses in Election?

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:38 am
fbaezer, why so you think Vincente Fox's party is in trouble?
---BumbleBeeBoogie

Mexico's Ruling Party Faces Losses in Congressional Elections

July 6 (Bloomberg) -- Mexican voters today choose a new lower house of congress, six governors and hundreds of municipal leaders in elections that may weaken President Vicente Fox's chances of implementing plans to boost growth in Latin America's largest economy.

Polls show Fox's National Action Party may lose as many as 44 of its 202 seats in the 500-member lower house. Such losses would reduce the likelihood the former Coca-Cola Co. executive will be able to carry out proposals that would allow increased spending with new taxes, open the energy industry to more private investment and cut company manpower costs through changes to labor laws.

``These reforms would raise the ceiling on our economic house,'' said Rodolfo Navarrete, who helps manage $100 million in Mexican stocks and bonds at Casa de Bolsa Vector SA in Mexico City. ``Mexico will keep growing without them, but it's a question of how fast and for how long.''

Mexico's $600 billion economy, the fortunes of which are linked to the U.S. through the North American Free Trade Agreement, expanded 0.9 percent last year, compared with an average annual growth rate of 3.4 percent in the 1990s. The central bank has reduced its 2003 growth forecast to 2.4 percent from 3 percent and plans to lower the estimate again.

Fox, whose lack of a parliamentary majority and inability to gain consensus from opposition parties have stalled his economic program since he took office in December 2000, needs to win more seats at today's election so he can increase government revenue to pay for schools and hospitals and increase investment and competition in the $10 billion state-controlled electricity industry by allowing private investors more participation.

Second Half

``He needs support to have a better second half, but people aren't showing great enthusiasm,'' said Luis Ugalde, a political analyst at the Mexico City-based Centro de Investigacion y Docencia Economica.

The most recent survey by polling firm Consulta Mitofsky shows an alliance of the Green Ecological Party and the Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, which dominated Mexican politics for seven decades before Fox began his six-year term, has gained ground among the country's 55 million voters in the run-up to the election.

Mitofsky's June 21 to June 23 poll of 1,200 households indicates the alliance, which was formed earlier this year, will probably take 204 to 224 seats compared with 158 to 174 that are likely to be won by the National Action Party. The poll had a 4.5 percent margin of error. A similar poll conducted in May suggested Fox's party would win 194 to 244 seats and the alliance 182 to 221 seats.

State Races

The PRI also may take back Nuevo Leon state, the hub of Mexico's northern industrial economy, which it lost six years ago to the National Action Party. Nuevo Leon, which borders Texas, is home to some of Mexico's largest companies such as cement maker Cemex SA and glassmaker Vitro SA. Other races in Queretero, Campeche, Colima, Sonora and San Luis Potosi are too close to call, analysts said. Mexico has 31 states plus the federal district of Mexico City.

Voting starts at 8 a.m. (9 a.m. New York time on Mexico's east coast and 11 a.m. New York time on Mexico's west coast) and ends at 6 p.m.

The opposition alliance has won over voters with the help of more than 100,000 campaign workers and a publicity campaign that highlighted rising crime and joblessness as the country's main challenges.

Candidates from the PRI also have promised to expand government health services, state-funded daycare and housing subsidies.

``If this formula works, it moves the entire political process to the left,'' said Larry Birns, director of the Council on Hemispheric Affairs in Washington. ``If Fox is going to get anything through at all, he's going to have to learn to deal with these people and their platform.''

Last Updated: July 6, 2003 07:11 EDT
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,258 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:28 am
BumbleBeeBoogie

Perhaps you could get a quick reply by fbaezer, when just asking him this question via PM.

And perhaps, if you want to get other's opinions as well, it could be better, not to name one specific member in the 'headlines' (subject) of a thread.
:wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:09 am
Hi, I'm at the office, busy sunday, after voting.

Polls have differed quite a lot about the possible outcome. Out of the 8 most significant pollsters, 5 of them give Fox's party an edge, while 3 -including Consulta-Mitofsky, the most renowned one- give the advantage to the PRI-Green alliance.

You must notice that Fox didn't win alone in 2000. He did it in alliance with the opportunist Greens (I mean, a Green party that is against bullfights but now favors the death penalty!), and that he doesn't have the majority in Congress.

All pollsters agree that no single party will get a majority, but only a plurality, so anyhow deals have to be worked out.

In state races, the ruling party, PAN, will lose Nuevo León, where they're incumbents and kick PRI out of San Luis Potosí, according to all polls. Races in PRI held Campeche and Sonora are expected to be tight, the same in Querétaro, held by PAN.

Mexico City, always left-leaning, now has become a stronghold of the left (PRD), with a charismatic mayor. They will probably get an absolute majority.

As for myself, I voted conservative (PAN) for the city Assembly, and for a small left leaning party -who may not make it- for Congress. You would say that's typical of me.

Now that I'm not the only active Mexican on a2k, I would like to hear the opinion of young Dux.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:14 am
Your Greens are against bull-fights, but favour the death penalty????!!!!!

There HAS to be a story behind that one, Fbaezer.

Can you tell it?

That is waaaaay weird!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:44 am
In the beginning there was a Green party.
Enviiromentalists were the members of the Green party.
The leader of the Green party was an animal lover businessman, owner of a chain of alternative drugstores.
I voted for the Greens in 1991.

The leader of the Green party became the boss of the Green party.
He expelled many environmentalists.
He fought harshly the mean foreign medical laboratories... and bullfights.
He ran for President in 1994. Was fifth place. They won no seats.

In the 1997 elections, after the "mistake of december" which brought a National financial crisis, the Greens got much of the dissapointment vote. Finished fourth. Won seats.

In 2000, the Beloved Leader of the Greens stablished an alliance with Fox's conservatives.
Suddenly the Greens were so much pro-life, they were also against abortion, like Catholic PAN.
The coexistence of the Greens and the Conservatives in the ballot helped Fox get a very needed edge.
But when Fox became President he did not give the Greens any Ministry.
The Beloved Leader became angry.

The Greens changed leadership after 2000.
Their new leader is the son of the Beloved Leader. A very dumb guy, known as "El Niño Verde", The Green Boy. Dad is behind every move of his.
The alternative drugstore chain did not get the contract to sell alternative drugs to public hospitals.
The Beloved Leader became angrier.
He broke with PAN.

The Greens had found out that a shift of allegiances would make them more powerful.
So they went into the arms of the PRI, the Institutional Revolutionary Party, who ruled the country for 70 years.
The PRI decided to make a turn from its recent past: became more conservative in freedom matters, more liberal in economic matters. They decided to promote capital punishment.
The Greens went along.
But they still want to prohibit bullfights.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
Oh jesus!

My oft-made point about smegging dreamy wonderland parties - not previously troubled by the exigencies of power - made nightmare!

That being said, I still trust the Oz Greens - under their current leadership....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:49 am
what about this "mexico is possible" party? the little i heard about it sounded intrigueing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:58 am
dlowan wrote:
Oh jesus!

My oft-made point about smegging dreamy wonderland parties - not previously troubled by the exigencies of power - made nightmare!

hey, in the baltics (i forgot whether latvia or estonia), the greens are conservative and nationalist, opposing extending the rights of the russian-speakers. theres a logic in there, but at first sight seems a bit odd too. on the other hand, a Croatian green party is in the "world coordinating council" of The World Parliament - apparently.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:03 pm
I voted for México Posible for Congress.

It is the usual conglomerate of left-leaning movements who do not agree with the big left party of Mexico (PRD).

PRD is, itself, another conglomerate. Ex-priistas, ex-Communists, ex-maoists. Different tribes who coexist in a mainly feudal basis. IMO, the former priistas have set the populist tone of that party.

México Posible has what's left of the Social Democrats (the party I voted for in 2000), plus other center-to-left groups.
The agenda they push the most is for cultural tollerance (so many gay groups, some indigenous groups and those who favor the legalization of drugs are in it).
Their leader is a feminist woman.
I don't know if they will make it over the 2% threshold. If they get the Social Democrats vote (1.95% in 2000), they'll make it. But many of us doubted, because we don't see a clear social agenda.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:18 pm
Thanks fbaezer
Thanks for the explanation, fbaezer. I like hearing directly from involved, knowledgeable citizens rather than just read the press, which may have biases that spin the real issues.

Mexican politics are of interest to me because of the past 70 year dominance of one party. Watching new Mexican political pluralism emerge is a lesson to be learned by other countries in the process of ousting dictators.

I trust you and your insights re the political climate there.

And, yes, it would be great to hear from the other A2K Mexican member.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 02:23 pm
fbaezer wrote:
México Posible has what's left of the Social Democrats (the party I voted for in 2000), plus other center-to-left groups.
The agenda they push the most is for cultural tollerance (so many gay groups, some indigenous groups and those who favor the legalization of drugs are in it).

that would explain the photo i saw of a transvestite campaigniong for "mexico is possible" ;-)

gay pride in politics, is that a first for mexico?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 02:32 pm
This is great stuff for we whos news media thinks that 99% of what we should know is covered by the local news and a well spun national press. Thanks baezer
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 03:25 pm
nimh wrote:
gay pride in politics, is that a first for mexico?

Nope.
The Social Democrats used gay pride too, in 2000. One of the candidates was openly a VIH positive homosexual.
Anyway, I don't think México Posible will surpass the threshold.

There are lots of gay and lesbian politicians in Mexico, but the vast majority of them are in the closet.

The gay pride march, a few weeks ago, gathered 15 thousand in Mexico City, according to the police.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 07:30 pm
Polls closed.
Resounding victory for the left. PRI-Greens have a plurality.

My calculus of seats (made at 11.00 a.m. CST):
PRI 203 (-8)
PAN 168 (-38)
PRD 99 (+49)
Green 20 (+3)
Workers 5 (-3)
Convergence 5 (+3)
Mexico Posible 0
Social Alliance 0 (-2)
Citizen's 0
Nationalist 0 (-3)
Liberal 0

Mexico Posible, at 1.1%, will not surpass the threshold.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:25 am
Vicente Fox suffers congressional defeats
Thanks, fbaezer. Your predictions were right on target. This is how ABC network just reported the election results.
---BumbleBeeBoogie

Vicente Fox suffers congressional defeats
Mexico's ruling party has suffered a heavy defeat in congressional elections.

The National Action Party (PAN) of President Vicente Fox is now at the mercy of the Opposition, three years after he swept away decades of one-party rule after the important Chamber of Deputies results.

Many people, especially the younger generation who voted for Vicente Fox three years ago have now switched their votes to the left wing Party of Democratic Revolution, the PRD.

In a nationwide address President Fox has pledged to work closer with congress for consensus, however the results considerably weaken his room for political manoeuvre.

Many of his ambitious intended reforms will now be shelved for the time being.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:24 am
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:07 am
Yep, I felt short in my predictions. PAN lost many Congressional seats in tight races. (The Sonora governor seat is still uncalled)

The article says:
"only six of every 10 voters who chose Fox as president supported PAN candidates this time around".

Verrry true. I didn't vote for PAN in Congress. My wife, my older son and my "right hand" at work abstained. And most people I know who voted PAN (Fox) for the first time in 2000, either abstained or went to other parties, after the important thing (getting the PRI out of the Presidency) was done.

"Mexican citizens see democracy as a competitive system that needs competitors, but they do not identify with the existing players,” political scientist Jesús Silva-Herzog

That's true. We're into a partitocracy.

In one thing I disagree with the leading view.
It states that the low turnout is an expression of dissatisfaction with democracy.
The low turnout is an expression of dissatisfaction with all the leading parties, not with the democratic system.
International polls show that Mexicans are more against any type of authoritarian system than any other Latin American country.
Turnouts were also low in the PRI-monopoly era 1929-1976, but not because the people wanted a revolution or a dictatorship. They were low because they knew who was going to win anyway.
For many years analysts wondered: When will the Mexican wolf awaken?
When the wolf awoke, in 1988 and 2000, it went to the polls. And voted.
It's easiest for some analysts in Mexico to say: "people don't vote because they don't trust democracy", and then, happily, stop thinking or researching. I wonder if they would say that about the USA.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:22 am
fbaezer
fbeazer, I agree with your anaylisis of the Mexican citizenry's voting motivations. It's found all over the democratic world.

If you have time, would you describe how members of Mexico's political parties select their cabinet for the government's top offices? Is it similar to the US process or uniquely Mexican?

I understand that private consusltants and government operatives from the US have played a roll in Mexico's election processes for a long time. How much US involvement and money exists in Mexico today?

Is land ownership reform the number one issue in Mexico as it is in other South American countries?

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 10:58 am
Cabinet: the President's choice. He can move and remove Secretaries at any time.

Private consultants: in 2000, two top American political consultants, who worked in Clinton's campaigns were each with one of Mexico's top Presidential candidates. One of them clearly made (loosing PRI candidate) Labastida make a crucial mistake in the televised debates (speak, like American candidates, about "normal" people he supposedly met). Those consultants are very famous in the US.
There are also lots of private Mexican consultants. For example, this year's Green campaign was totally made by a group headed by the pollster of former presidents Salinas & Zedillo. I know several people on his team.

US Government operatives. Lots of talk about it was made in the old days. It was said that the PRI candidate needed the approval of the American government. No one wants to fight the gringos, but I think that nowadays that's more of a urban legend.

Land ownership reform? Nah!
We have had land ownership reform for so many decades. The Revolution became land ownership reform. "Landless" movements are minor.
What many peasants want is tariffs: no American or Canadian corn or beans in the market.
Only 20 per cent of the voters live in rural areas.
Tax reform, income distribution, employment, the possibility to open the government's electrical monopoly, social security, crime fight, labor law reform, those are the issues.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:03 pm
Adios Fox.
0 Replies