Answers to Lovatts March Demon!

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
Firstly,many thanks to Farkha and Dutchy for your help with my last question.

Now I need help with March Demon.

I need answers for 25d. - aquatic bird - I have C?OT.
55d. - internal cave formations - I have S?E?E?T?E?S
109d. - type of computer screen - I have ??N
115d - Japanese mastiff - I have -?I?A
114a - confidence aid, psychological .. (is the answer
CRUTCH)?

Maybe some of my across answers are not correct but if anyone can help, once again I would grateful. Usually work them out eventually but 55d. has got me really stumped.

Thanks in advance
Helyn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,586 • Replies: 36
No top replies

carolrs

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:58 pm
why bother
why bother doing crosswords when you require everyone else to do it for you. There are so many c/X dictionaries out, the A-z crossword dic has nearly most things, the million word, is excellent and the complete ones are all good, and with google, and numerous programmes on it one can finish them all with a bit of brain matter going into this effort as well. Which is half the fun of doing corsswords as well. They say the more we use the brain, the longer we live - Live long and prosper.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:21 pm
Hi helyn2001

25d = coot
55d = speleothems
109d = lcd
115d = tosa
114a = crutch

Someone else will probably verify above.

I respectfully disagree with carolrs's view. This forum is all about helping one another and that's exactly what everybody has been doing for years. Not everybody is an expert, I feel there is nothing wrong for asking for help now and then.

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

EscapePod

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:51 pm
helyn2001
I ended up with all the answers Dutchy gave you.
Good luck with your entry.
Dont hesitate to post again if you get stuck.

carolrs, I agree with Dutchy's sentiments.

Some of us, due to time restraints or other external factors are struggling at times to do the research. There is nothing more frustrating when you are so close to completing one and miss out posting it to be in the draw.

To most of us here the prizes are secondary and a bonus really. Winning one would be great. I am still yet to experience that thrill.
But I sure do not mind helping others out here on the Forum.

I am working on the Mega Stinker at the moment and have been for probably 4 hours if not more. Only half done. There would be some that would be really quick at doing them. Probably some even slower than me (if that is possible) LOL

If it is a combined effort to get everybodys completed it really does not matter.

EscapePod
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:03 pm
Totally agree with Dutchy on this one!

Life is too short to get aggro with people because -

they mightn't quite as quick on the uptake,
they might not be in a position, through mobility or financial restraints, to have access to the latest and greatest and biggest and bestest dictionaries that are available,
they might not be as computer literate as some,

or for one of a thousand other reasons they ask for a bit of help.

I know I get one great big kick out of it when someone comes back and thanks me for helping with a word.

Dutchy has come up with the same answers that I have.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:31 pm
answers to march demon
Thanks for those answers Dutchy. Perhaps carolrs is just having a bad day. Remember the Golden Rule. This site is also a good place to find people who live by that rule. Helping each other is what life is all about and if more people did that the world wouldn't be in such a crisis. Hopping off soap box now.
Tuesday
0 Replies

helyn2001

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:38 pm
Answers to Lovatts March Demon!
To dutchy, escapepod and lezzles, thank you very much for your help. Ususally I eventually find the answers myself, but it's nice to know that there are geniuses like to fall back on. My sincere appreciation for your help.

To Carolrs - I have been doing thses puzzles for years and hardly ever need help. I have used this site four times, and even sent an answer for someone else. If you can do it by yourself why bother to look up the site.
You obviously don't need it.

Maybe my brain is shrinking or I'm just getting old. Anyway to the people who helped me out I say thank you very much.

Regards Helyn
0 Replies

grannylynne

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:01 am
Answers to Lovatts March Demon
I have all the same answers Helyn.
I believe Speleothems is the term that covers things like stalactites and stalagmites.
You've got 119 across wrong somehow - answer is modicum.

Goodluck, Grannylynne
0 Replies

catgirl

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:13 pm
In response to carolrs. What is wrong with information sharing? Before I had internet access asking knowledgable people is the only way I ever finished some of my crosswords. In pursuit of answers I have rang dentists, bars, libraries and universities and never once was someone unhappy to share their specific range of knowledge. I have found that the members of this forum operate in the same manner. Isn't it better that we learn something new by asking others rather than make incorrect assumptions or just giving up?
0 Replies

vernamae

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:43 pm
demon march
To - Helyn2001

These are the answers I have. Hope they are all correct.
25d - coot
55d - speleothems (this one was in about 2 years ago and I got the answer from a scientific dictionary) keeping the answer for future reference.
109d - lcd (I hope)
119ac - modicum - a small or moderate or token amount.
115d - tosa
114ac - crutch is correct

Hope this agrees with others that have replied.

Good luck in the draw,
vernamae
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 06:23 am
Agree with Dutchy. A vote of thanks to all those who assist others.
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:24 am
My Views.
I've actually asked Christine's letters page about this (but got no response which is unusual).

I asked whether using the internet was considered a form of 'cheating' as I considered it a form of modern day research.

My personal views on asking a forum like this for help is that it is the same as sitting down with a coffee at your kitchen table with your neighbour who is a crossword whiz and asking them if they can help with the last few clues you're stuck on.
I think most of us have a go at it ourselves before asking for help anyway.

And it's a learning curve too. Especially when people spell out how they got the answers, as with the cryptic clues.

Does anyone else use the internet to fill in the DIY?...I know without it I couldn't.
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:28 am
EscapePod wrote:

To most of us here the prizes are secondary and a bonus really.

Bugga that!

I want a Plasma screen TV..... Laughing
0 Replies

EscapePod

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 06:45 am
julksky
I hope you get your wish. :-)

Someone has to win it, and I suppose the old saying holds true "Gotta be in it to win it".

EscapePod
0 Replies

EscapePod

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 06:46 am
Julksky
Meant to add.

Have never done a DIY. Too hard for this little black duck. ;-)

EscapePod
0 Replies

tigiie

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:51 pm
Hi everyone

I am coming into "the carolrs debate" rather late and I can't believe
what has been written.

We all help each other and I agree that if you know all of the answers carolrs and don't need to ask anyone, then why join this forum?

We have all become friends and we are happy to help each other.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for you.

Best regards
Tigiie
0 Replies

willywagtail

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:53 am
Lovatts crosswords
To my way of thinking, using the internet to find out answers is no different to leafing throught the dictionaries or asking your partner for help. That is how we learn. The trick is to remember the answers. Christine doesn't consider it cheating.
It doesn't matter which path we tread, all roads lead to Rome. Or to the local milk bar.
Which reminds me,,,I went to put some stubbies on the black stump for Dutchy but it was piled high with Crownies.
ww tail
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:46 am
Didn't you notice the 'crownies' were empty wwtail Smile
0 Replies

conorbear

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:41 pm
Hi everyone and thanks so much for the input that sometimes you need and sometimes you don't! Very Happy

Helping each other is as much part of the enjoyment of crosswords as solving it all yourself.

Having said that, am only stuck on 1 word from the March Demon.

63D: Moudier

I have S-S-I-R, perhaps someone could enlighten me to either the answer or anything going crossways that I might have wrong Embarrassed

Have a great day--off to take my son to school (I have already got him started on the Lovatts kids books and he has only just started school Smile )
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:48 pm
Hi conorbear

For 63d I have 'mustier'. For your crossword 62a I have 'ruminated'

No doubt someone will verify above.

Good luck with your entry.
Dutchy
0 Replies