ISRAEL : SEPARATE BUT EQUAL

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:09 pm
when i watched the noonhour news , i thought someone was telling either a bad joke or an outright lie , but here it is :

ISRAEL BUS LINE MAKES WOMEN SIT IN THE BACK !

while some of the women and men being interviewed thought it was an outrage , others - including a young woman - thought that it was perfectly right to ask the women to sit in the back of the bus hbg

from the article :
Quote:
The Egged bus company operates 30 mehadrin (haredi) bus lines throughout the country where women are forced to enter the bus from the rear doors and sit in the back rows and are barred from boarding unless they wear "modest" clothing, according to a group of women who petitioned the High Court on Wednesday against the Egged and Dan bus companies and the Transportation Ministry.

The petitioners included author Naomi Ragen and the Israel Religious Action Center of the Progressive (Reform) Movement.

The five women who petitioned the court recounted personal experiences riding on the mehadrin lines.

Ragen, for example, was riding on the No. 40, a municipal route connecting Strauss St. in downtown Jerusalem with her home in the Ramot Gimel neighborhood. On the occasion in question, the bus was empty and Ragen took a single seat towards the front of the bus.

As the bus began to fill up, several men approached her and demanded that she move to a seat at the back. Ragen replied that there was no sign posted in the bus stating that she had to do so. She also told them that as an observant woman, she knew that there was no halacha (Jewish law) preventing her from sitting where she was.

article in full :
SEGREGATION ON ISRAELI BUS-SERVICE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:18 pm
Figures. When I did not understand the meaning of the word, "Haredi". When I looked it up, I found it to mean "ultra orrthodox Jews.

Quote:

Apparently, one of the peculiaritaries of many religions is that the more fundamentalist they are, the more are women are considered second class citizens, and sex objects.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:23 pm
All this, while our government supports Israel as the only "democracy" in the Middle East.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:24 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Apparently, one of the peculiaritaries of many religions is that the more fundamentalist they are, the more are women are considered second class citizens, and sex objects.

That's not too different from what you would find in the US. Don't see what you are complaining about.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:48 pm
Depends on who's making the interpretation; I see women sitting at any place on the bus in the US. If that's equal democracy, I'll pick the US.
0 Replies