My pets pee on the carpet...

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:42 am
On a serious note... we crate trained our last pup and it worked beautifully. get one of those stages cages that grow bigger as the dog grows bigger and make sure it only gets just enough room to turn around and lie down when it's in it.

Even after the dog gets it and becomes trained, leave the door open and it will use the crate as it's special place where it goes when it needs a quiet break or to feel secure.

Our older beagle (the pup didn't make the move with us) uses the upstairs linen closet for that purpose. Not peeing, retiring.

And no Jespah the pup did not go on a truck ride with me before we moved :wink:

As for the cat well, cats are the souls of the damned anyhow... whatcha gonna do?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:10 am
Hello Marty. I think you could get a similar terror-filled reaction to O.Bill's lesson plan just by getting your dog close to the smelly mess (not jammed down its nose) and slapping the leather belt on itself, making a big scary sound. I wouldn't do it myself and have never found it to be as effective as proper training in the first place. It's a shame to ever go to those extremes, but you're in a retraining mode. Really, the best lesson is to catch them in the act and yell loudly, "BAD DOG" and make other similar sounds of disgust and then quickly scoot it out the door to the right place, where you can immediately go back to praise-mode.

The best way to not have stinky animal smells in the house is to provide your animals with a natural and easy place for them to eliminate. It is much kinder and more effective to praise them when they do well. So, praise them, on the leash or in the yard, whenever they poo/pee in a "good" place. This involves timing and persistence.

Each problem critter is a little different. To help you, remember that what goes in, goes out. Get to know your own animals' habits. Only feed your dog once a day and remove any leftover food quickly, definitely before noon. No treats until things are going better. You might even consider a day-long fast, which is quite a natural thing for wild dogs. Dogs want to please you, so if you make it easy and don't get too rough, you'll have a much more pleasant time. Every dog should be walked at least once a day and this is the time to watch for praise-worthy moments. While you're in this re-training mode, several short-walks may be the best thing just so you've got lots of chances to say "Good Dog".

As for the cat.... whew... cats will mark spots inside the house even if they're also using a litter box. They often do that because they're literally pissed off, so you've likely got a psychological thing going there as well as a physical one. If the cat looks like it is straining or uncomfortable while peeing, you should definitely take it to the vet and be sure and mention the problem next time you take it to the vet's. A lot of cat food has too much ash (or maybe it is protein) and it's hard on their urinary tract.

Always be sure to change the animal water every day. Until you can trust them to not soil your home, you need to isolate the animals when you aren't going to be there... crate, bathroom, laundry, kennel.... any of those will work. Every single time they backslide, you're screwed and you've got more of this lousy habit to correct. It's a bummer.

Btw, there's an big bottle of odor-eliminator that costs $10-12 which is good for all sorts of stinky smells in the carpet. You can get it at any pet-shop. It smells slightly of vinegar. In fact, I think it is just a dilution of vinegar and water.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:45 am
Piffka you are a veritable font of wisdom.... how ya been?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:31 pm
Oh yeah... a regular font of wisdom re. bad dogs (and bitches ;-)) -- I just try to do my part to help the cyber world get by with these weighty questions.

I'm good though. Thanks for asking, it's all good. Still trying to get my a2k sealegs after a year's hiatus. I could start a rumor and say I was banned, but it was a self-imposed exercise in restraint.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:41 pm
Thanks, I confine the dog while at work but now I'll try to confine the cat to a smaller section of the house.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:06 pm
In regard to dys's post, I can tell you that cats with urinary tract infections pee on porcelain and linoleum. I have no idea why.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:11 pm
The cat tends to pee on dirty laundry the kids leave laying around and he also annointed a brand new throw pillow in my living room. Or if I leave a basket of laundry out.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:12 am
CowDoc wrote:
In regard to dys's post, I can tell you that cats with urinary tract infections pee on porcelain and linoleum. I have no idea why.

That's interesting (in a gross sort of way).

Are you really a large animal vet? Cool. We're thinking of having our horse bred, or at least, my daughter is all for it. I think it'll be a lot of trouble and expense.

MartyB -- how'd it "go" last night? Any accidents? Your cat's interest in peeing on what she/he perceives as valuable is pretty telling. Very Happy Some day I may bore you with the story of how our cats' peeing made us remodel our house. (The smell gets into the underlayment of the carpet in a really, really bad way).
0 Replies

hogie79

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 03:29 pm
Well i dont know where to start really but you've got some pretty bad responses from some people which i hope you havent tried.Like the one person said "dog's live in the moment" which can be good sometimes. If he made a mistake in the house and you didnt catch him doing it RIGHT AWAY then dont even bother trying to scold him for him cause he doesnt have a clue why.I know it's damn hard not to get mad but you gotta stay calm.There is a show on tv that every dog owner should watch its called the Dog Whisperer and the one thing you'll learn watchin that show is always to be calm and assertive with your dog. First thing i would try is to make everything a routine with him including taking him outside to go to the bathroom personally i try and take my dogs out every hour if they dont go then they dont go. feeding him at regualar times ,etc.I also read the post where you said that you have a huge back yard that he can run free in .Doesnt matter , you should be walking your dog a Minimum of 45 minutes a day he needs to be challenged and also a way to drain energy. Make sure you challenge him on walks you walk the dog the dog doesnt walk you , you let him know when its okay to go to the bathroom and when its okay to stop and sniff .If your not the leader of the pack he will be.
As for your cat it sounds to me like you need to take him to the vet and get a urin test done. Cats are very pron to urinary infections and guess what one way of them letting you know is? Yup peeing where they shouldnt be. Also good on you for getting a second litter box general rule is number of cats plus one extra litter box.i have 3 cats and 4 boxes.Regular cleanings of boxes also which i know isnt the funniest job in the world but needs to be done.I have my sisters cat currently and she also started peeing on stuff.plastic bags, our clothing or anything with our scents on it.I did some reading and found out about the urinary problems and toke her to the vet and yup she had one. Now she is on meds and hasnt pee'd since only bad thing is after her first treatment which was a week of pills she still had the infection so now she is on 2 weeks worth of pills.Also i never read if your pets where spayed or neutered?? that can also lead them to mark there territory.Hope this helps and remember if for some reason you cant deal with them and are going to get rid of them find a good place that doesnt put them down there are lots of shelters for animals that are no longer wanted. Remember to watch the dog whisperer to that guy is awesome with dealing with dogs.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:31 pm
My dog is pretty good about going out but poops downstairs about once every other week. The cat pees mostly on my sons carpet. And to answer your question, they are both neutered.
0 Replies

amerigirl86

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 09:15 pm
i buy dog pads so when i cant take her outside she goes on the pads they are really handy ,like when your gone to the store and the dog is by its self.they only cost $12.00 for 50 of them at walmart .good luck
0 Replies

purpleaqua

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 05:49 am
Re: My pets pee on the carpet...
martybarker wrote:
I have a dog,Marty, and a domestic house cat. They seem to have picked two rooms in the house that they constanly pee in. One is my sons room, I think the cat mostly pees there but the dog does both from time to time. Then there is the den, my dogs favorite place to poop. How do I break this? I'm tired of constantly dragging out the carpet cleaner and now I need to replace my sons carpet which will involve taking apart a big bunkbed. Is there a trick to getting the scent out of carpet so they won't go there again??
Go to mars and buy a super duper martian force field or a finger print examining door!!!
0 Replies