My pets pee on the carpet...

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:26 pm
I have a dog,Marty, and a domestic house cat. They seem to have picked two rooms in the house that they constanly pee in. One is my sons room, I think the cat mostly pees there but the dog does both from time to time. Then there is the den, my dogs favorite place to poop. How do I break this? I'm tired of constantly dragging out the carpet cleaner and now I need to replace my sons carpet which will involve taking apart a big bunkbed. Is there a trick to getting the scent out of carpet so they won't go there again??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,843 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:55 pm
Pee experts to the scene, por favor. The suspense is killing me!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:56 pm
BTW, Hi Marty!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:57 pm
Lash, so nice to hear from you!
Damn, if I didn't love the little buggers so much I'd send them off to a new home.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:00 pm
Where's the cat's litter box? <becoming professional about this whole thing>

How often does little Marty Barker get walked?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
I'll be glad to come take them for a ride in my truck....
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:06 pm
The cat now has a second litterbox because of this problem. So now there is the old one downstairs near the den and one upstairs in the master bath.
I have a nice fenced backyard so Marty goes out frequently and has the run of the yard.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:07 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'll be glad to come take them for a ride in my truck....

Sometimes Marty gets car sick if the ride is too long and the cat will freak out in the car I'm sure!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:08 pm
it's okay it's a fairly short ride...... and one way...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:08 pm
It'll be Cat Shower Video all over again.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:12 pm
I'm tempted to send the cat over but Marty is my little buddy! Anyway, I realize that I should scold the dog when he does this but what about a cat? I never witness him doing it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:15 pm
Do you have a small laundry room or mud room where he can be secluded with his poo box for a day or so? Is this torture? I'm out of ideas. My creatures always did their business in appropriate locations.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:18 pm
I'm at a loss right now, I have to go buy some kitty litter but at least I have a shampooed carpet!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:30 am
Dog: crate training, dog walker if you can't get there in time, vet if problems persist (might be an issue with holding it in).
Cat: litter box in mud room, plus I suspect using only one litter box is better but someone with a cat should comment. Same thing re the vet.

Oh and note to self: never take a ride with BPB.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:06 am
Cat: Clean the litter box more often and change the brand of litter. I never heard of a cat that didn't want to use the box... but it has to be clean. Alternately; get rid of the cat.

Dog: (I'm gonna catch hell for this, I'm sure) The dog needs to understand duty in the house makes you angry. Crate it for a week, only letting it out to eat and to go outside to do duty. It will not do it in a crate unless you neglect it. Phase two: EVERYTIME the dog does the nasty in the house; fold a leather belt in half, drag the animal in a mean fashion with no compassion to the spot, jam his nose in it and crack him briskly across his ass with the belt. The sound and the anger will actually scare him more than the blow will actually hurt him. Throw him back in the crate for 24 hours, again; meanly. Normally, the problem will be permanently solved after just a couple lessons.

Dog's brain: Duty in house=BAD DOG!=Nose in ****=pain in Ass=Back in crate=Master don't like me. Duty outside=Good Boy!=Master likes me.
Your dog wants you to like him more than anything if he's a normal animal. Odds are very good that he doesn't even understand that he's pissing you off. Make him understand. NEVER strike the animal with a bare hand, and try to limit your vocabulary when you're angry with him.

My German Sheppard learned where to do his duty after only 2 cracks of the whip and no crating. All other lessons were taught by making him sit in a corner out of sight if he was bad. First with a leash, then with a simple command. It drove him nuts that he wasn't allowed to sneak into view to look pathetic. Again; simple commands. "Get in the corner" with a pointed finger... and the release for all such things "OK". Outside he'd walk with no leash and would sit down instantly at the word "Stop". "OK" is the release. You will be 10 times happier with your pet once he's properly trained. Before you know it; you'll be able to teach tricks in a matter of hours. Remember that dogs live for positive reinforcement so always give it during training and don't worry; they will not hold the punishments against you. You are their God and they live to make you happy. (Their perspective not mine).

Okay folks; tell me how barbaric I am.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:23 am
Totally. The dog has no clue unless you catch him in the act. You really have to do this. They are intelligent creatures but live in the moment. So having them smell hours-old poo for them is just a "Huh?" moment and nothing more. Then there's a cracking scary sound. They'd probably poo right there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:56 am
How old is your cat, Marty? I've heard of times when an older cat starts going wherever it pleases. The dog might be reacting to the fact that he can smell cat urine in the house. Animals can smell things we can't, so even if you don't smell it, the dog might think he's going where he's supposed to.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:09 am
Re: My pets pee on the carpet...
martybarker wrote:
I have a dog,Marty, and a domestic house cat. They seem to have picked two rooms in the house that they constanly pee in. One is my sons room, I think the cat mostly pees there but the dog does both from time to time. Then there is the den, my dogs favorite place to poop. How do I break this? I'm tired of constantly dragging out the carpet cleaner and now I need to replace my sons carpet which will involve taking apart a big bunkbed. Is there a trick to getting the scent out of carpet so they won't go there again??

Have you tried keep the room doors closed? If they can't get to their preferred room, the cat might use the litter box and the dog might want to go outside.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:27 am
for 2 years Sallydog was great about outdoor facility use, A couple months ago she stated peeing on the kitchen floor. Last week the lady Diane took her to the vet-she had a urinary infection and is now getting anti-biotics.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:28 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Cat: Clean the litter box more often and change the brand of litter. I never heard of a cat that didn't want to use the box... but it has to be clean. Alternately; get rid of the cat.

Dog: (I'm gonna catch hell for this, I'm sure) The dog needs to understand duty in the house makes you angry. Crate it for a week, only letting it out to eat and to go outside to do duty. It will not do it in a crate unless you neglect it. Phase two: EVERYTIME the dog does the nasty in the house; fold a leather belt in half, drag the animal in a mean fashion with no compassion to the spot, jam his nose in it and crack him briskly across his ass with the belt. The sound and the anger will actually scare him more than the blow will actually hurt him. Throw him back in the crate for 24 hours, again; meanly. Normally, the problem will be permanently solved after just a couple lessons.

Dog's brain: Duty in house=BAD DOG!=Nose in ****=pain in Ass=Back in crate=Master don't like me. Duty outside=Good Boy!=Master likes me.
Your dog wants you to like him more than anything if he's a normal animal. Odds are very good that he doesn't even understand that he's pissing you off. Make him understand. NEVER strike the animal with a bare hand, and try to limit your vocabulary when you're angry with him.

My German Sheppard learned where to do his duty after only 2 cracks of the whip and no crating. All other lessons were taught by making him sit in a corner out of sight if he was bad. First with a leash, then with a simple command. It drove him nuts that he wasn't allowed to sneak into view to look pathetic. Again; simple commands. "Get in the corner" with a pointed finger... and the release for all such things "OK". Outside he'd walk with no leash and would sit down instantly at the word "Stop". "OK" is the release. You will be 10 times happier with your pet once he's properly trained. Before you know it; you'll be able to teach tricks in a matter of hours. Remember that dogs live for positive reinforcement so always give it during training and don't worry; they will not hold the punishments against you. You are their God and they live to make you happy. (Their perspective not mine).

Okay folks; tell me how barbaric I am.

This is probably the best suggestion I've seen so far. Pain and terror work. Fast.
0 Replies