probably not a Gregorian chant

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:32 pm
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Catholic school principal has organized sensitivity training for students who shouted "We love Jesus" during a basketball game against a school with Jewish students.

The word "Jew" also was painted on a gym wall behind the seats of Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School students attending the Feb. 2 game at Norfolk Academy, said Dennis W. Price, principal of the Virginia Beach school.

Price who also watched the game, said the rivals exchanged chants, "Then, at some point, our students were chanting, 'We love Jesus.'"

"It was obviously in reference to the Jewish population of Norfolk Academy; that's the only way you can take that," he added.

Price said he sent a letter of apology to Norfolk. Dennis G. Manning, the academy's headmaster, declined to comment.

Several Sullivan students met with Norfolk Academy's cultural diversity club Thursday as part of a series of events aimed at promoting tolerance, Price said.

He has arranged for the Virginia Conference for Community and Justice and the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater to work with students.

A message left for the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater was not immediately returned Saturday.

Price also has consulted the Anti-Defamation League, a national group that fights anti-Semitism.

"It is important that we work harder at having students leaving here who are tolerant and understand how serious these kinds of things are," said Price, who said diversity training will be incorporated permanently at Sullivan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 829 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:38 pm
Oh, why does this stuff go on and on. Sometimes I see it as if I've lived for nothing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:41 pm
What really bothers me about this story is there must have been adults there at the time (A coach if no one else) who should have stopped this "demonstration" immediately.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 12:07 am
From the department of "Research along the lines of Do Fish Swim" ...

Quote:
When God sanctions killing, people listen

When God sanctions killing, the people listen
New research published in the March issue of Psychological Science may help elucidate the relationship between religious indoctrination and violence, a topic that has gained renewed notoriety in the wake of the September 11th terrorist attacks. In the article, University of Michigan psychologist Brad Bushman and his colleagues suggest that scriptural violence sanctioned by God can increase aggression, especially in believers.

The authors set out to examine this interaction by conducting experiments with undergraduates at two religiously contrasting universities: Brigham Young University where 99% of students report believing in God and the Bible and Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam where just 50% report believing in God and 27% believe in the bible.

After reporting their religious affiliation and beliefs, the participants read a parable adapted from a relatively obscure passage in the King James Bible describing the brutal torture and murder of a woman, and her husband's subsequent revenge on her attackers. Half of the participants were told that the passage came from the Book of Judges in the Old Testament while the other half were told it was an ancient scroll discovered in an archaeological expedition.

In addition to the scriptural distinction, half of the participants from both the bible and the ancient scroll groups read an adjusted version that included the verse:

"The Lord commanded Israel to take arms against their brothers and chasten them before the LORD."

The participants were then placed in pairs and instructed to compete in a simple reaction task. The winner of the task would be able to "blast" his or her partner with noise up to 105 decibels, about the same volume as a fire alarm. The test measures aggression.

As expected, the Brigham Young students were more aggressive (i.e. louder) with their blasts if they had been told that the passage they had previously read was from the bible rather than a scroll. Likewise, participants were more aggressive if they had read the additional verse that depicts God sanctioning violence.

At the more secular Vrije Universiteit, the results were surprisingly similar. Although Vrije students were less likely to be influenced by the source of the material, they blasted more aggressively when the passage that they read included the sanctioning of the violence by God. This finding held true even for non-believers, though to a lesser extent.

The research sheds light on the possible origins of violent religious fundamentalism and falls in line with theories proposed by scholars of religious terrorism, who hypothesize that exposure to violent scriptures may induce extremists to engage in aggressive actions. "To the extent religious extremists engage in prolonged, selective reading of the scriptures, focusing on violent retribution toward unbelievers instead of the overall message of acceptance and understanding," writes Bushman "one might expect to see increased brutality"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 01:11 am
ossobuco wrote:
Oh, why does this stuff go on and on.

My thoughts exactly ... what is this bloody world coming to?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:56 am
Ugh. Well, I know where I will never be vacationing.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:21 am
"Sport" is displaced warfare.
Tribal prejudice is fostered in both sport and religion.
"Catholic" and "Jewish" schools both reify and condition devisiveness.

Why is anybody surprised ?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:24 am
fresco- I think that you are "right on the money". As long as people don't think of themselves as individuals, and divide people into "us" and "them", this sort of crap will continue.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:24 am
That would make sense except Norfolk Academy isn't a Jewish school, it's a school with -- shock, shock horror! -- students of more than one religion.

http://www.norfolkacademy.org/about/philosophy.html
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:35 am
jespah,

Thanks for that but kids are simplistic. There are mixed schools here in the UK whose proximity to "Jewish areas" results a fair number of such students. This is quite sufficient for the moronic to classify such a school according to their needs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:48 am
Doesn't Pat Robertson live in Virginia Beach? That may explain quite a bit, dys. I've been to Virginia Beach, Va, and I do NOT like the place. Hey, it's all about politics, I think.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:56 am
One of the troubles with this world is that Young & Dumb kids do Young & Dumb things.

This bunch probably thought that they were being very subtle (and even acceptable) by chanting "We Love Jesus" as opposed to "Kill the Jews". Give them credit--most of them wouldn't have changed, "Kill the Jews".

Unfortunately some Young & Dumb kids grow up to be Insensitive & Dumb adults.

Insensitivity is inevitable in the young, but I'm willing to bet that the Jesus Yappers have had some hands-on sensitivity training that they will remember.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:40 am
fresco wrote:
jespah,

Thanks for that but kids are simplistic. There are mixed schools here in the UK whose proximity to "Jewish areas" results a fair number of such students. This is quite sufficient for the moronic to classify such a school according to their needs.

These are teens, so far as I can tell. Such distinctions should not be totally lost on them, although running with the crowd/peer pressure is still a big thing then. If nothing else, though, where were the parents and other adults who supposedly know better.

Oh yeah, now I remember, this is Virginia Beach, the home of Jewish Mother.

True story, I was on an audit there back in the 90s and we went there for lunch, the gal with me said, "Oh, you'll love Jew Mom's." Uh, why? "'Cause you're Jewish." Yes, we all like the same things, we're all identical. Suuure. I realize that the place was started by Jewish folks but it still makes me cringe, like we're some weird exotic species to be poked at from outside our cages.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:21 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
fresco- I think that you are "right on the money". As long as people don't think of themselves as individuals, and divide people into "us" and "them", this sort of crap will continue.

I don't often post song lyrics by way of response, but this seems appropriate.

Artist: The Cure
Song: Us or Them Lyrics

There is no terror in my heart
Death is with us all
We suck him down with our first breath
And spit him out as we fall
There is no terror in my heart
No dread of the unknown
Desire for paradise to be...
We love this on our own
No I don't want you anywhere near me
I don't want you anywhere near me