hummers and thier nests

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 12:33 pm
last year we had a pair of hummers that built a nest in the tree roight next to our office window; they raised 2 chicks. The nest is still there, does anyone know if hummers or their chicks return to last years nests?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 946 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 12:47 pm
A friend of mine was just telling me about the hummingbirds she had in her garden in Oregon- what a coincidence...

Though I googled it, I got a lot of conflicting answers for this. One site said they don't reuse the old nest, but build a new one on the same site- one said that since the nest represented a lot of intensive labor-they do reuse the same nest year after year, and another said they might use the same nest for two years, but not very many after that. So who knows- except that it sounds like if they like a spot, they tend to stick around, whether it's in the same nest or a newly rebuilt one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:18 pm
well, I was just sitting here in the office near the window and lo and behold I looked out to see a hummer sitting in last years nest. A good sign i think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 06:40 pm
Yayyyyy!

Can Fred see it?
0 Replies