Fear is the only enemy

vikorr

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:07 pm
Quote:
Fear is a primitive human emotion, and it relates to ego or self. As human beings we come to a place where it is possible to shed fear. We have the resources to make sound judgements without this instinct, and schooling ourselves to master it only grants us a more complete control of ourselves.
I maintain what I said at first. Fear is the only enemy

I would disagree with this on a number of principles :

1. I would say fear relates to self-preservation.

2. You cannot physiologically shed fear, it is a part of who we are as humans.

3.You can deny or ignore fear, but that doesn't eliminate it. If you deny or ignore it, then you cannot fully reason what effect it will have on your judgement (for you are denying/ignoring/not thinking about it).

4. I would have thought it well accepted (though I've never checked) that the best way to control emotions is to accept and guide them, rather than fight them (You've mentioned something about 'schooling ourselves to master it', but said nothing about how you believe this is done - the field of Neuro Linguistic Programming offers an interesting insight on this topic btw.)

5. How does your belief relate to war situations? Or are you excluding such from your claim?

However, if you are talking about fear, as fear bred out of (unjustified) paranoia, then I am in almost full agreement with you - such fear is an enemy.

edit : I just remembered an interesting bit of information. I read a book recently on an Australian Air Ace called Nicky Barr (he was the only Australian to have received both the Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Military Cross - ie Airforce and Army medals). He believed that fear made commanders more carefully weigh their decisions.He said he distrusted any commander who did not feel fear, for he believed they were the ones most liable to get their troops killed. He lived in a war, but his is of course, only one point of view.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:00 pm
I think the fear of danger is quite healthy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:06 pm
There is always a level of fear that can be healthy or unhealthy depending on the individual or circumstance. A soldier patrolling in Baghdad should have fear, but not so much that he/she becomes trigger happy to the extent they kill an innocent bystander. It requires a nerve of steel many of us do not possess.

I can understand why so many come back from the battle front with mental scars they never can erase from their brains.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 02:20 am
CI

You are right, I guess. Schooling yourself to master fear would be to face it, not ignore it.

I guess that is what I am talking about.

And you mention war. A person who cannot master his fear on a battlefield is liable to do something stupid and get himself killed. Courage, after all, is not the absence of fear. It is the ability to face it and not bow down to it.

Although in my initial post I was thinking more about the fear that makes us go to war in the first place. The fear the US government inspires in it's people to sustain support for their actions overseas. Maybe that is "fear, as fear bred out of (unjustified) paranoia".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 01:44 pm
Quote: ...that is "fear, as fear bred out of (unjustified) paranoia"."

Right-o.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:32 am
Yeah... I took that from the post you wrote, which I responded to. But you probably noticed that... :wink:
0 Replies