Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:08 pm
Since the righties think they have the monopoly on Christianity, why not delve deeper into the message of Christ.

Paul in Romans:
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil... not "an eye for an eye", but "turn the other cheek", said Jesus.
19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord. ("Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord", says in the King James Version).
20 On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom.12:17-21).

http://biblia.com/jesusbible/joshua3b.htm

In the Sermon of the Mount:
This Sermon, called the Constitution of Christianity, contains in Mat. 5 the "Law of Christ" of Gal.6:2. In it Jesus fulfilled the Law introducing several changes in Matthew 5:17-48.
One of them is about aggression, defense and war:
You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (Mat.5:33-41).
No "eye for eye" in Christianity, but "turn the other cheek"... no revenge, no war... it is difficult to justify even the just, defensive war if one takes seriously the message of the Sermon on the Mount, which is the heart of the Gospel.
Just Love!... put the other cheek... he steals your tunic?, give him your cloak as well... it sounds incredible... impossible to follow... it is the Law of Christ, the Prince of Peace and of joy and of love... This is Christianity!.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 637 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:16 pm
No, it is the teaching of Jesus. Christianity is something else entirely.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 12:56 am
And besides, those are the parts of the bible that you are supposed to ignore or interperet as something different. I'm sure they're a metaphor for hoarding wealth or for justifying unnecessary wars deep down. I bet you that Jesus didn't even speak those words and some ******* liberal pansy-ass put them in that thar God-Damn Bible.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:29 am
Re: Jesus
Jeremiah wrote:
Since the righties think they have the monopoly on Christianity, why not delve deeper into the message of Christ.

Paul in Romans:
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil... not "an eye for an eye", but "turn the other cheek", said Jesus.
19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord. ("Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord", says in the King James Version).
20 On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom.12:17-21).

http://biblia.com/jesusbible/joshua3b.htm

In the Sermon of the Mount:
This Sermon, called the Constitution of Christianity, contains in Mat. 5 the "Law of Christ" of Gal.6:2. In it Jesus fulfilled the Law introducing several changes in Matthew 5:17-48.
One of them is about aggression, defense and war:
You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (Mat.5:33-41).
No "eye for eye" in Christianity, but "turn the other cheek"... no revenge, no war... it is difficult to justify even the just, defensive war if one takes seriously the message of the Sermon on the Mount, which is the heart of the Gospel.
Just Love!... put the other cheek... he steals your tunic?, give him your cloak as well... it sounds incredible... impossible to follow... it is the Law of Christ, the Prince of Peace and of joy and of love... This is Christianity!.

Where in the passage does Christ say He is addressing the topic of 'war' ?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:44 am
maporsche wrote:
And besides, those are the parts of the bible that you are supposed to ignore or interperet as something different. I'm sure they're a metaphor for hoarding wealth or for justifying unnecessary wars deep down. I bet you that Jesus didn't even speak those words and some **** liberal pansy-ass put them in that thar God-Damn Bible.

I agree.

Where's the original Gospel Jesus (pbuh) used to preach (Armaic) during his lifetime?
0 Replies