Is this funny or more cat abuse?

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:44 am
Tampa-based Checkers Drive-in Restaurants Inc. is distributing "Rapcat" bags designed with cutaway areas for the cat's legs and tail. The cat's head sticks out the opening of the bag, which is designed to look like to a basketball jersey and gold chain worn by the hip-hop Rapcat puppet in Checkers commercials.

http://www.baynews9.com/images/news/2007/2/19/lgrapcat1.jpg

A Hillsborough County Animal Services news release on Monday said forcing a real, unwilling cat into a "Rapcat" bag could be considered felony animal cruelty. The bag's warning -- "not all cats will be down with wearing this bag. Do not harm or endanger any cat" -- is not enough, the agency said.

They are also saying to send in your pictures and videos of your cat in the Rapcat bag. Pictures and videos are showing up on Youtube and myspace.

To see a slide show of pictures....http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/2/19/225001.html?title=Checkers+restaurants,+animal+services+in+cat+fight
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,135 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:45 pm
Re: Is this funny or more cat abuse?
I think the entire thing is stupid however...

Linkat wrote:
A Hillsborough County Animal Services news release on Monday said forcing a real, unwilling cat into a "Rapcat" bag could be considered felony animal cruelty. The bag's warning -- "not all cats will be down with wearing this bag. Do not harm or endanger any cat" -- is not enough, the agency said.

Felony animal cruelty? How is this any different than putting a sweater on your dog or forcing any pet to wear a collar and/or be on a leash? I note that their own WWW site lists ordinances that REQUIRE that sort of "cruelty".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:06 pm
I thought it strange that the Animal Services became involved in this item, but not the spa.

My cats actually crawl in paper bags, although they probably wouldn't want to wear it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:19 pm
Here's the commercial on YouTube...

Rap Cat

that is the most unfunny thing I've ever seen. Am I missing something?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:39 pm
thats not even a real cat.

so how the hell did they come to the conclusion that people should put paper bags on their cats to look like the commercial?

oh wait..

thats right

publicity..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:43 pm
That not a real cat!?

GEE!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:12 pm
I don't see the harm in it. It isn't like the cat could suffocate or anything. Worst case, the cat gets pissed and shreds the bag.

Stupid? Yeah. Cruel? No.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:34 pm
much a poo over nothing...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:00 pm
I think I'll do it to my cats and see how they freak.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:46 pm
Film it, please.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:52 pm
give them just the teeeeeniest piece of a tab of acid before you do. I will pay for a dvd.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:24 pm
how about this video? No bags, but cruel or cool?
cat wheel
another look...
cat wheel again

I think it's kinda cool.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:53 am
I do to. The cat can get out at any time and it isn't like it's electrically powered. The cat can walk, run, stop or get out. It obviously likes it and the other cat was standing there like "Hey, get off! It's my turn!"

Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:05 am
They should have handed out cardboard boxes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:18 am
I like the cat wheel - they seem to enjoy it, although this person seems to have waaaay to much time on their hands to come up with this devise.

The local PetSmart had a trick or treat for pets once. I put a doll's shirt on one of my cats and a little sombrero on her head and brought her "trick or treating". Please don't tell on me.
0 Replies