Cheese for dogs.. good or bad??

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 07:38 am
@Beelost,
Researching this issue now: These excerpts are from AKC website:

"Not all dogs digest cheese well. Fatty, rich cheeses, and cheeses that contain herbs or food items harmful to dogs like garlic can cause intestinal upset. And while cheese contains little lactose when compared to whole milk, dogs with severe cases of lactose intolerance may have adverse reactions to cheese, even in small quantities. Observe your dog closely for signs of intestinal upset after feeding her cheese for the first time, and consult your vet with any questions you may have about adding cheese to your dog’s diet."

"Some cheeses are better for dogs than others. Low-fat cheeses, such as mozzarella and cottage cheese, are healthier for your pet than cheeses with higher fat contents. When looking for cheese for your dog, seek out cottage cheeses and mozzarella cheeses that are low in sodium. Choosing lower fat and lower sodium cheeses can help reduce the risk of obesity and intestinal upset."

"Cheese is safe for dogs in small-to-moderate quantities and can be a valuable training tool for treat-motivated dogs. It is also a good way to conceal pills for dogs that require medication. As you should when you consider feeding your dog any human food, talk to your vet about any risks associated with feeding cheese to your dog and about how cheese can affect your dog’s pre-existing health conditions."
0 Replies

sunshine793

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:23 pm
@Vonda1941,
But I heard that cheese is beneficial to dog's stomach, bones, immunity and hair. So I think dog can eat cheese but in moderation.
0 Replies

Sharkomantis

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 04:10 am
@AndrewFerrol,
Never knew that.
0 Replies

ginagreen

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 03:05 am
@Vonda1941,
I have only heard that it's bad for dogs to have chocolate, but not cheese.
0 Replies

TinaSanders

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 05:36 am
@Vonda1941,
Well, visit a doctor - maybe cheese not so bad for him)
0 Replies

ginagreen

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2017 01:47 am
@Vonda1941,
A little bit is fine...
0 Replies

AlyssaCarroll

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 12:04 am
@Vonda1941,
My vet says it's very bad for dog's health
0 Replies