Cheese for dogs.. good or bad??

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:11 am
My dog has taken a liking to cheese. I was then told that cheese is bad for dogs. I would hate to deprive him of one of his food delights unnecessarily, all on someone's "hear-say". If cheese is really bad for him, then naturally I won't ever let him have another piece. :-(
I would appreciate educated input/advice.

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:21 am
Cheese is probably bad for all animals, including us (very high in saturated fat). It's like the old adage says, "Everything in moderation." Moderation, here, means a very small amount. How big is your dog? Think about the amount of cheese that is healthy for you to eat. Then, think about how much smalled your dog is. Them adjust accordingly, err on the side of less.

For example, my dog was about 60 lbs and I let her eat cheese very infrequently (once every few months), but when I did, I'd let her have a piece the size of the last digit of my finger (roughly a 1/2 inch by a 1/4 inch).

Remember, it can cause cholesterol to build up, but it can also cause gas due to lactose intolerance. If your dog has problems with gas, cheese could make it worse. If your dog is one of the breeds which are apt to the stomach-flipping-over thing, I'd stay away from cheese.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:15 pm
"Everything in moderation, including moderation", littlek. My dog loves cheese and sits and stares at anyone who dares to eat it in front of her. Cheese is, after all, a dairy product. It's really tough to feed a dog too much of it. Considering gastric torsion or dilation, I was never able to say with any certainty that the eating of any particular food caused it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:10 pm
As Doc says (oh, and howdy, Doc - trust you and yours all are well) - moderation; anything can be overdone. Cheese is a much-appreciated special treat for The Puppies here - and that makes it very useful as a mask for pills; never have seen a pill that has been wrapped in cheese come back out of a pup's mouth. 'Course, liverwurst works real well for that, too - I'll use whichever is handiest.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:45 am
Sallydog gets a bite of cheese most every day, that's because I get a bite of cheese most everyday. (she refuses velveeta)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:03 am
Could it be otherwise?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:08 am
BBB
Dolly and Madison get a tiny nibble of a lot of foods I eat, including cheese. They got a small piece of two cheese quiche yesterday, which they sniffed first.

BBB
0 Replies

hogie79

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 03:37 pm
i dont feed my animals any food other then animal food.With all the different treats out there( mind you some are probably just as bad as our food) i dont think they need any scraps. i guess its a personal choice thou id be careful with cheese thou that might bung him up Shocked
0 Replies

ilovemydog

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:54 pm
@Vonda1941,
what happen to your dog when he ate cheese
0 Replies

ilovemydog

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:56 pm
@Vonda1941,
what happen to your dog when u gve him cheese
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
@ilovemydog,
http://lgo.mit.edu/blog/drewhill/files/nuclear-explosion.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
@littlek,
To answer littlek three years later, I am not now conversant, but I seem to remember that dogs don't have quite the metabolic thing going on with fats as we humans do. Where did I read that? I don't know. In any case, my corgi, a big corgi in length, needed to not be a chubby corgi, and human treats were not-so-oftens. (Corgis and other long backed dogs can have huge problems if they get overlarge). I think he made it as long as he did by a certain abstemiousness. Still, he did enjoy cheese from time to time.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
my first Newfoundland was very good about following the rule of no dogs in the kitchen, except when she noticed butter on the counter and felt that she could get away with nabbing it. She lived to be 13 years old, I was never able to break her of it.

I was told by the vet that butter and cheese are not good for dogs, but was not given a reason.

MY current dog has a thing for flour torillas. I have taken to keeping the bag either very high or else in the microwave.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:10 pm
@ossobuco,
A lot of veterans suggest that for picky difficult dogs who refuse to take their medicine, sticking pills in a bit of cheese won't hurt the dog. Like humans, cheese IN Moderation is the rule for consumption.

I know plenty of people who top their dog's food with a piece of cheese as well (no medicine dispensing involved). All these cheese consuming dogs have a decent metabolism despite the added dairy to their diet.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Whatever the hell I read was all about the differences in human and dog metabolism, thus proving that some cheese, etc., for dogs was ok. I probably saved the link, a trait of mine, on an old old old computer.

Patiodog is apt to set me straight, if he shows up.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I know that dogs can get into trouble if they consume ice cream.
firefly

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 01:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Cheese isn't bad or harmful for dogs, but, some dogs, like some people (including me), are lactose intolerant.

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Digestive-Disorders/Lactose-Intolerance.aspx

Dogs generally don't have problems with dietary cholesterol, the way humans do. So, it's not the fat or cholesterol in cheese that's the problem, it's the lactose in all dairy products (cheese, milk, ice cream etc) that some dogs have problems digesting.

My last dog adored cheese, particularly Edam cheese. She would eat no processed cheeses at all, but loved most natural cheeses. She could pack away quite a bit of cheese without experiencing any digestive problems or upset. I had another dog who loved milk, which she could consume without any problems.

My present dog loved a little Velveeta as a treat when she was a puppy, but now won't touch it. She also prefers milder natural cheeses, particularly swiss cheese and yogurt cheese. But, if this dog eats more than a small amount of cheese, she often gets diarrhea, and she is likely lactose intolerant. So I'll give her small amounts, and that doesn't seem to create any problem for her.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:54 pm
@firefly,
That's useful, firefly - and it was about the fat/cholesterol metabolism differences between dogs and humans that I was remembering.
0 Replies

AndrewFerrol

Reply Wed 31 May, 2017 06:33 am
Some cheeses are better for dogs than others. Low-fat cheeses, such as mozzarella and cottage cheese, are healthier for your pet than cheeses with higher fat contents. When looking for cheese for your dog, seek out cottage cheeses and mozzarella cheeses that are low in sodium. Choosing lower fat and lower sodium cheeses can help reduce the risk of obesity and intestinal upset.
Beelost

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 07:26 am
@AndrewFerrol,
Totally agree there are different kinds of cheese. If it's cottage cheese - it's absolutely healthy! If it's blue cheese - surely not good