What does it mean to "Be Yourself"? Really.

flushd

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
A lot of us have heard this enough times that it becomes like an empty sound when heard. "Just be yourself" "Be true to yourself" "Follow your own heart"
blahhh....!

So what does it mean when you strip away all the lengthy gobblty goop of social expectations, cure-all sentence for condolence and comfort, last shot at offering a solution to a problem, or just trying to get someone to shut up or stop obsessing over something trivial?? Laughing

This has been eating away at me.

It depends on how you identify yourself, doesn't it?
It depends on what you choose for yourself and how much responsibility you take, don't it?

What does it mean to you?

And what do you use to measure whether or not you are 'being true to yourself'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 849 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:16 pm
After thinking about, and debating just what the "self" is I have come to the conclusion that the phrase "be yourself" actually means "be the world you are".

To be oneself is to be no one, since the self is nothing but relationship. Relationship between supposed and invented counterparts, invoked at need.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:30 pm
"be the world you are" < That's fantastic.

Your post makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks Cyracuz.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 01:05 pm
Interesting question!

I'm going to have to think on this a while.

I'm not convinced that it is even possible to "know" yourself.

Circumstances change and there is no way to accurately predict how you will respond because your "self" changes along with the situation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 01:10 pm
Telling someone to just be himself is simply an admonishment against acting in a way that doesn't represent his actual personality, but that he might think would make a better impression than his actual personality.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 01:20 pm
Looking forward to hearing more from you, Boom.

Brandon, yes, I have found that to be often the case. That is what I meant by the 'gooblty goop of social expectations'. People come to think of us and expect of us to be a certain way, and when we are otherwise that shakes up the boat. They don't always like it. So they may say we are being phony or not like ourselves.

But beyond that, do you think that the phrase is meaningless?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 01:53 pm
flushd wrote:
Looking forward to hearing more from you, Boom.

Brandon, yes, I have found that to be often the case. That is what I meant by the 'gooblty goop of social expectations'. People come to think of us and expect of us to be a certain way, and when we are otherwise that shakes up the boat. They don't always like it. So they may say we are being phony or not like ourselves.

But beyond that, do you think that the phrase is meaningless?

No, I think it is extremely meaningful. You should read my post again. To be yourself, hardly something everyone does, means to refrain from assuming any sort of false persona to achieve an effect.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:14 pm
Boomerang wrote:
I'm not convinced that it is even possible to "know" yourself.

Circumstances change and there is no way to accurately predict how you will respond because your "self" changes along with the situation.

I agree with that last part. That is why to "know yourself" is to know the world. To know the world is to know yourself. And the closer you get aquainted with either one, the more you realize that the division is merely percieved. "Self" is the relationship between the aspects of any given situation.
When you're putting on a glove the division is "me vs my hand". When you're driving it is "me (then including the whole car) vs the road". When thinking it is "me vs my thoughts".
So there are really no clear boundaries.

A quote from Herman Hesse's "Steppenwolf":

"As body the human being is always one. As spirit, never".
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:27 pm
Best Imitation Of Myself
Ben Folds

I feel like a quote out of context
Withholding the rest
So I can be for you what you want to see
I got the gesture and sound
Got the timing down
It's uncanny, yeah, you think it was me

Do you think I should take a class
To lose my southern accent
Did I make me up, or make the face till it stuck
I do the best imitation of myself

The "problem with you" speech
You gave me was fine
I liked the theories about my little stage
And I swore I was listening
But I started drifting
Around the part about me acting my age

Now if it's all the same
I've people to entertain
I juggle one handed
Do some magic tricks and
The best imitation of myself

Maybe I'm thinking myself in a hole
Wondering, who I am when I ought to know
Straighten up now time to go
Fool somebody else, fool somebody else

Last night I was east with them
And west within
Trying to be for you what you wanna see
But I can't help it with you
The good and bad comes through
Don't want you hanging out with
No one but me

Now if it's all the same
It comes from the same place
And if my mind's somewhere else
You won't be able to tell
I do the best imitation of myself

Yes it's uncanny to see
You'd really think it was me
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 04:50 pm
Yes, Cyracuz! I see what you're saying and I agree.

And by that token, flushd, I'm not sure that there is any way to measure because everything continues to unfold.

I think outside of job interviews and blind dates that "be yourself" means that you have to make a particular decision for yourself. Some people will be disappointed (or startled, or jealous, or crushed, or whatever) by what you decide (because it becomes a part of their "self") and you have to be willing to accept that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:16 am
That works for me. Thanks.

Which brings me back to my original post: it having to do with how you identify yourself, and how much responsibility you decide to take on.

Being yourself would mean, in my world here, not being squeamish about staying open and large. Carrying your own load in life, whatever you choose for that to be.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:05 pm
flushd wrote:
That works for me. Thanks.

Which brings me back to my original post: it having to do with how you identify yourself, and how much responsibility you decide to take on.

Being yourself would mean, in my world here, not being squeamish about staying open and large. Carrying your own load in life, whatever you choose for that to be.

These may be desirable things, but the phrase "being oneself" refers to revealing your true nature and the way you really feel about things, as opposed to putting up a facade.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:58 pm
to add to what Brandon said....

....sometimes you might use "just be yourself" to justify doing what you want, instead of what you know you should. After all, "I can't help the way I feel"
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:53 pm
Quote:
After thinking about, and debating just what the "self" is I have come to the conclusion that the phrase "be yourself" actually means "be the world you are".

But what is this world and what is I?.
Are we not a product of our DNA and environment?
Is there such a think as free will which allows us to make decisions without an influence of our genetics and environment?
For me, unfortunately being yourself means living accordingly with our instincts , impulses etc but at the same time following morality which we gained from outside world. The latest brings a conflictÂ…..that is why so much unhappiness, confusion and guilt.
0 Replies