Read the entire article here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 837 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:18 am
"Bridges has long opposed the teaching of evolution in Georgia classrooms and has introduced legislation requiring only that "scientific fact" be taught."

I hope he does get this one passed, because it would permit the teaching of evolution, as well established as most scientific theories, e.g. the nature of electricity, but would certainly prohibit the teaching of creationism.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:28 am
Quote:
I hope he does get this one passed, because it would permit the teaching of evolution, as well established as most scientific theories,

Crying or Very sad hbg

ps. would 'evolution' be taught in science class since it is "as well established as most scientific theories" ?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:29 am
Mr Ben Bridges seems to have a screw or two lose.

What is his alternative to evolution theory?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:17 am
hamburger wrote:
Quote:
I hope he does get this one passed, because it would permit the teaching of evolution, as well established as most scientific theories,

Crying or Very sad hbg

ps. would 'evolution' be taught in science class since it is "as well established as most scientific theories" ?

Yes, that's my point. Even if his bill passes, it will certainly not prohibit the teaching of evolution, which is a well established scientific theory.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:51 am
i've been looking at the website of Marshall Hall, sen. Bridges' ghostwriter. either a crackpot of the highest order, or a sage for the ages. before i get to that, while trying to check out his claims, i came across a fascinating scientific anomaly: NGC 7603, a galaxy that is apparently connected by a "filament" to a companion object of vastly different redshift. it's been touted for decades, mainly by astronomer Halton Arp, as evidence against the Big Bang, but apparently new photographs reveal there are actually four objects involved, rather than the original two. you can look at the manuscript here:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0203/0203466.pdf

and now, out of all the verbage at fixedearth.com, here's one claim that caught my eye:

Quote:
Note these seven assumptions required by the Helio Model that enables it to account for the precise phenomena required in Solar Eclipses:

1) The Sun must cease its observed daily spiral orbit pattern around the Earth and become stationary relevant to the Earth and the Moon. We must assume that what everyone who has ever lived has seen with their own eyes--the Sun rising in the East and setting in the West--is not truly what is happening. Rather what no one has ever seen--a stationary Sun--is what we are told is scientific truth.

http://www.fixedearth.com/kabbala%20VII.htm

unfortunately, Mr. Hall doesn't provide any context for this claim. anyone care to enlighten me? (incidentally, he used the word relevant when he meant relative, unless i'm missing some esoteric meaning. Laughing )
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:06 pm
I am shocked. Only 40% of US'ers think that evolution is true. They would rather believe creation.

And there are people actively working to promote the unsubtantiated opinion that the earth does not move, that it doesn't orbit the sun, as fact???

Talk about promoting ignorance. These people should be removed from office, and would be in any country but USA, is my bold opinion.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:23 pm
Mr. Hall isn't even a fundamentalist, when he says "no one has ever seen" the sun stand still, since it says in Joshua 10,

Quote:
12Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:04 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I am shocked. Only 40% of US'ers think that evolution is true. They would rather believe creation.

And there are people actively working to promote the unsubtantiated opinion that the earth does not move, that it doesn't orbit the sun, as fact???

Talk about promoting ignorance. These people should be removed from office, and would be in any country but USA, is my bold opinion.

No, no one claimed they do not orbit.

It is He Who created night and day and the sun and moon, each one swimming in an orbit. (Surat al-Anbiya: 33)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 02:19 pm
Oh yes they did. Maybe not in the article, but these same people claim that copernicus was wrong.

They say that the earth does not orbit the sun...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 07:48 pm
The best weapon science could possibly have in the war against creationism, is to have Senator Ben Bridges taking a leading role for the other side.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:55 pm
Yes... It would be hillarious to see the law he wants passed come to be. And the very next day they find out that evolution can be taught, while creationism has to be removed from the schools, since it is not scientific fact.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:21 pm
I wonder if anyone ever explained to Sen Bridges that the creation stories in the Bible were also myths propagated by an ancient Jewish sect?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:34 pm
Terry wrote:
I wonder if anyone ever explained to Sen Bridges that the creation stories in the Bible were also myths propagated by an ancient Jewish sect?

Geeze, keep it down, will ya? How can we forward our devious and evil conspiracy with you blabbin' all over the place ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 01:22 am
Set, it's much too late, now that "the Secret" was revealed on Oprah: Evil or Very Mad

http://whatisthesecret.tv/revealed/oprah-small.jpg
0 Replies