Sectarian violence: is there a solution?

aperson

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 01:54 pm
Something makes me think no. If violence towards others is embedded in people's core beliefs, there is no way to change their mind.

Personally, I don't get Islam. It is a primitive, unmoral, backwater religion. Yea, yea I know, not all Muslims are evil, but although I'm ok with most religions, any religion that causes people to kill other people on a large and jihadistic scale sucks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 06:09 pm
I'm not a muslim, but what I understand from the religon is that jihad, or holy war, isn't at all a bloody affair. It doesn't involve killing. Whenever someone kills and calls it jihad they are not fighting jihad.

Holy war is something else entirely, and it has a great deal in common with Jesus' teachings to "turn the other cheek", or Ghandi's method of non-cooperation. All in all it is originally a peaceful means of fighting a war, and the term war isn't used in it's conventional sense.

At least, that is what I've been told by some muslims I spoke to once.

But I will voice my agreement that I am wary of how Islam is practiced today by a seemingly growing number of muslims.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 07:11 pm
I will no doubt be thwacked for this....I'm normally a very liberal kinda guy.....

I think Islam is fundamentally violent, but modern, moderate especially "western" muslims are trying very hard to soften Islam through liberal interpretation, choosing to see the Quran in a more allegorical way.

When you look at the leadership of the religion in my region Sheik Taj El-Din El-Hilaly, Abu Bakar Ba'asyir, you see the truth behind the public political correctness.

Of course, Christians are not much better. Look at Ireland...for the last bazillion years.
0 Replies