Animal Shelter Euthanizes 1,000 Cats and Dogs

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:57 pm
Quote:
LAS VEGAS - An outbreak of contagious diseases at a shelter where officials admit they kept animals for too long without destroying them has forced the killing of about 1,000 dogs and cats, officials said.

While I find this distrubing that 1000 animals were put down, how many of them were being adopted out anyway? They apparently kill after 4 months of not being adopted.

That's a HUGE shelter with lots of animals that come from who knows where.

Parvovirus is not prevented by the vacs 100%. I would assume distemper and panleukopenia vaccinations are also not 100% effective.

Should these people be charged with animal neglect/cruelty because they may not have gotten all their animals vaccinated in time and admit to keeping them alive longer than they should have?

Shelter Animals Killed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 812 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 01:06 pm
PETA = Pitful
In a slightly related story...

The PETA nuts are out in full force.
Rolling Eyes

PETA Nuts At it Again
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:21 pm
The answer ultimately lies in people neutering and spaying their pets.

It's hard for me to understand why someone would rather send animals either off to their deaths or living in a cage then get them fixed.

Those who would say money is the issue is taking a very short sighted approach. Why did they bother to have a pet in the first place?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:30 pm
Chai wrote:
The answer ultimately lies in people neutering and spaying their pets.

It's hard for me to understand why someone would rather send animals either off to their deaths or living in a cage then get them fixed.

Those who would say money is the issue is taking a very short sighted approach. Why did they bother to have a pet in the first place?

One of the few times, I could understand handing over a pet to an animal shelter....a co-worker when visiting a mall pet store (I cannot stand those stores as you really don't know the quality of the animal), ended up getting a puppy. He thought a golden retriever is such a loving dog, and the kids fell in love with him. After a little while having the puppy at home, they realised something wasn't right in the head. They ended up instead of giving the dog to a shelter finding a good home. Unfortunately this family couldn't handle the unusual behavior of dog either - they ended up giving it to a shelter.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:41 pm
I stand corrected.

Of course there are always extenuating circumstances.

There's just so many people who want an animal around, but don't want to take responsibility for it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:59 pm
Chai wrote:
I stand corrected.

Of course there are always extenuating circumstances.

There's just so many people who want an animal around, but don't want to take responsibility for it.

I agree - when you adopt a pet - you are responsible for taking care of it through its entire life. It is a living creature, not a toy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:11 pm
If people would adopt animals from these shelters as opposed to
pet stores and breeders, less animals would be forced to live there
resp. be euthanized.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
If people would adopt animals from these shelters as opposed to
resp. be euthanized.

The problem with adopting from most shelters or pet store is you do not know the history of the animal. It could have been abused, it could have had poor breeding where it could be ill. I would especially be concerned when you have children involved as their can be a real danger from an unpredicatable pet.

I have adopted all my pets from a shelter - fortunately this shelter is privately owned and for most of the pets they interview those dropping off the animals - both to educate them so they will not continue getting pets they don't want and so they can understand what type of home is best for the animal. However, they still get animals they don't know the history of - I had adopted one and she ended up getting very sick, the vet asked where I got this cat, he said you can't always rely on them being healthy.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:09 am
[quote="CalamityJane"]If people would adopt animals from these shelters as opposed to
resp. be euthanized.[/quote]

I would never buy a cat, while there are so many homeless ones around, but it's not always as easy as you'd think...

After one of my two cats disappeared two years ago and a stray that we took in after that got run over by a car, I wanted to get a kitten from a shelter. (Wanted a kitten to make it easier on my remaining cat, who was getting lonely without her sister, but is not getting along with foreign grown cats.)
They refused to give us one, telling me they did not have anything suitable.
On the phone shortly before they told me there were kittens available.

After pushing it, they admitted, that my husband being American was the actual reason.
Apparently a lot of Americans living in Germany take in dogs and cats, just to return them once they leave the country again.

For me, an animal is a lifetime commitment, however, obviously they did not trust us, and so we did not get a kitten!
(Several years before, while still being single, I walked into the same shelter and left with a kitten, fifteen minutes later!)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:59 pm
Bohne wrote:
[quote="CalamityJane"]If people would adopt animals from these shelters as opposed to
resp. be euthanized.

I would never buy a cat, while there are so many homeless ones around, but it's not always as easy as you'd think...

After one of my two cats disappeared two years ago and a stray that we took in after that got run over by a car, I wanted to get a kitten from a shelter. (Wanted a kitten to make it easier on my remaining cat, who was getting lonely without her sister, but is not getting along with foreign grown cats.)
They refused to give us one, telling me they did not have anything suitable.
On the phone shortly before they told me there were kittens available.

After pushing it, they admitted, that my husband being American was the actual reason.
Apparently a lot of Americans living in Germany take in dogs and cats, just to return them once they leave the country again.

For me, an animal is a lifetime commitment, however, obviously they did not trust us, and so we did not get a kitten!
(Several years before, while still being single, I walked into the same shelter and left with a kitten, fifteen minutes later!)[/color][/quote]

Wow, although I have never heard of something like that, or thought about it, I can totaly see the shelter saying that. I know shelters want to make sure the animals go to good homes, but honestly, sometimes I think they go way overboard.

When we decided to get another cat to keep Jezzer company after Dr. Lulu Abromowitz died, we knew it would be a life long responsibility and joy, and that whover came home with us would be the luckiest kitty in the whole wide world.

I went to one animal shelter here that is on the news every Saturday morning, showing some of the animals available for adoption. I figured it had to be a good place, because of the community outreach.

Wrong....From the second I walked in there I felt like I was being interegated for a crime. No one was friendly, I couldn't go back and even look at the animals until I had filled out paperwork and was "interviewed"
I guess they don't realize interviews can go 2 ways, and even then I was wondering if I wanted an pet from there. I know they need to weed the crazies and potential abusers out, but they acted like eveyone had wire cutters in their pockets to steal the animals.

Something like 45 minutes later I'm sitting across from Eva Braun. I felt like I was facing the parole board. Then came the kicker. Not to get into the whole declawing debate, but all my cats are declawed, just the front.
To make up for the fact that I caused them discomfort for about a day of their lives, I spoil them rotten, keep them indoors away from disease and fights, and in general give them heaven on earth for the next 15 to 20 years.

Anyway, of course now I was the Marquis de Sade and was deemed "inappropriate"

Our newest edition to our happy family, Roland had to be procured by stealth through a shelter outside of town. When we showed up, he literally pushed all the other cats, most twice as big as him, out of the way and said "You don't need to look any further, I'm it".

He's now in the prime of manhood, that is if he still had balls. He's sleek, well muscled, well exercised, eats the best food and has learned to play fetch and to ride on the pedal of the eliptical trainer, and is so spoiled he will not drink from a water bowl, but must have his personal water fountain turned on. For having no claws, he is remarkable adept at wrapping his big paws around your forearm and drawing it in to give it a hug, he also loves toe massages, back and front, especially the webbing between the toes. He's got his own personally battery operated vibrator for just that purpose.

I'd say that shelter made a big mistake not entrusting one of their homeless to us.
0 Replies