Erikson's 8 stages of psychosocial development

stuh505

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 05:19 pm
Haha, would that be Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs, or some such? Or was it a pyramid. I vaguelly recall hearing of this in "health" class back in 6th grade, being taught by some teacher that made me feel like Donny Darko.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:38 pm
Heh. Yeah, didn't see that coming.

I think you're doing great. A PhD! You're supposed to be,...what ...here:

Early Adulthood (18-34 years)
Psychosocial Crisis: Intimacy vs. Isolation

Body and ego must be masters of organ modes and of the other nuclear conflicts in order to face the fear of ego loss in situations which call for self-abandon. The avoidance of these experiences leads to isolation and self-absorption. The counterpart of intimacy is distantiation, which is the readiness to isolate and destroy forces and people whose essence seems dangerous to one's own. Now true genitality can fully develop. The danger at this stage is isolation, which can lead to severe character problems.

Central Task: Caregiving
Positive Outcome: Form close relationships and share with others
Ego Quality: Love
Definition: Capacity for mutuality that transcends childhood dependency
Developmental Task: Stable relationships; Child bearing; Work etc.
Significant Relations: Marital partner, friends.
Erikson's listed criteria for "genital utopia" illustrate his insistence on the role of many modes and modalities in harmony:

mutuality of orgasm
with a loved partner
of opposite sex
with whom one is willing and able to share a trust, and
with whom one is willing and able to regulate the cycles of work, procreation, and recreation
so as to secure to the offspring all the stages of satisfactory development

HEY! You better get busy with the whole genital aggrandizement!!! LOL!!

I think you're ahead of the game. You're building a fabulous nest (education). And, of course, marriage is optional. For me, this time is getting to know how you relate to Isolation and/or Intimacy. Are you using your weebeloes to satisfaction or are you living in the remote hills of West Virginia, throwing darts at pictures of naked women...?

Do you feel you should be married or something? OH! I read back. This is all about SEX!! LOL. I don't blame you, stuh.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:20 pm
Quote:
HEY! You better get busy with the whole genital aggrandizement!!! LOL!!

Quote:
ag·gran·dize (ə-grăn'dīz', ăg'rən-) pronunciation
tr.v., -dized, -diz·ing, -diz·es.

1. To increase the scope of; extend.
2. To make greater in power, influence, stature, or reputation.
3. To make appear greater; exaggerate: aggrandize one argument while belittling another.

No thanks, I'm happy with my..err, size.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:35 pm
[size=7]sorry. I didn't mean physically... [/size]

Embarrassed
0 Replies

JohnS

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:59 am
Pre and Perinatal
One of my thoughts regarding Eriksons 8 stages is that it does not take into account pre and perinatal influences, what happens in the womb to make us who we are, is the psyche limited to what happens once we are born? I don't think so, any comments?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:42 am
I don't think you can avoid the stages as he has arranged them. But, I'd be interested to hear if anyone disagrees with that.

You may opt for the dysfunctional choice between say Isolation v Intimacy--but you have to choose one, don't you?
0 Replies