About a biblical term used in a different sense

fansy

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 04:47 am
I know that "Original Sin" alludes to the affairs of Adam and Eve; but can we use "original sin" to refer to the sin committed for getting the first bucket of gold in an economic sense? Now there is much talk about whether this "original sin" (used in Chinese sense) can be forgiven or not.
Can we say "original sin of capital"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:02 am
The English phrase "Original Sin" has a specific meaning to do with Christian religious beliefs and the mythical Adam and Eve. It does not have anything to do with any Chinese phrase or saying connected with money. So the answer to your question must be "no".
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:13 am
"Original sin" refers to the notion floating around in China for the last few
years suggesting that most, if not all, private entrepreneurs started their
businesses with shady deals.
ChinaDaily.com
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 12:51 pm
http://www.formosa-translation.com/chinese/oo/o62.gif

Now i understand. In theology, it is the condition of sin that marks all humans as a result of Adam's first act of disobedience, so in communist theology, the act of stealing the people's money to start a capitalist enterprise could be called original sin. But the Christian original sin is just an idea, it doesn't refer to an actual act that a real person actually committed. Also, it is inherited by children from their parents. (I know this sounds whacky, but that's religion for you.) Does this mean that the worship of money is now China's official religion?

I see this is very topical in China. Last November, Hu Deping, the deputy chief of the united front department of the Communist Party of China (CPC) central committee, called for a halt to the popular campaign that seeks to force mainland China's new class of capitalists, most of whom acquired their initial wealth from embezzling the state sector, to return their ill-gotten gains for the public benefit.

Hu is the eldest son of Hu Yaobang, the CPC general secretary whose sudden death in April 1989 triggered the students' and workers' anti-graft protests in Beijing's Tiananmen Square, the regime's suppression of which led to the massacres on June 4-5 of that year.

The CPC regime's deliberate drive since 1992 to restore capitalism across all of China has been built on the widespread looting of state assets by government and party officials, their relatives and cronies. On the ideological front, the new capitalists are assisted energetically by an influential group of neoliberal economists and other intellectuals who have privileged access to China's mass media.

The restoration process, however, has come at a high cost to most workers and peasants, who in recent years have advocated a more systematic effort to investigate where the initial capital of the new capitalists came from, and that if it came from the illegal appropriation of public assets, to have it returned.

Opponents of the neoliberals have likened this seed capital to "the first bucket of gold" and those who got it as bearing "original sin".

Is it true you could go to prison for reading this in China?
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:53 pm
Interpreting meaning of loan translation by ...
There are many cases of Chinese readers interpreting the meaning of a loan translation by interpreting the meaning of the Chinese phrase that is considered to be the equivalent of the English original. So "original sin" in English becomes "Yuan Zui" in Chinese; then "Yuan Zui" in Chinese becomes "crime committed at the time when getting the first bucket of gold", or in other words some business people started their business by not quite honest means, although today, they have become successful entreprenaurers, and are doing something good to the community. There is a great deal of discussion of "Yuan Zui" these days. But ordinary people do not have Adam and Eve' Original Sin in mind. My opinion is that we should not translate "Yuan Zui" into "original sin": we can try something like "first sin" committed at the time ...
Actually we have many other cases where we tend to interepret meanings of new terms borrowed from English in a "Chinese way", as a result it has caused much misunderstanding. I think in part it is the fault of translators, but also in part, it is due to people' way of thinking, by the constraints imposed on readers by the very language they are using.
I will explain this theory to my students. In academic affairs, we are free to express our opinions.
Thanks for your explanation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:56 pm
Speaking of original sin...

What did Adam say to Eve the first time he got horny?

"Keep your distance baby, I don't know how big this thing is gonna get"...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 07:11 pm
Fansy--

I have no grasp of Chinese, but I'm sure that the Chinese Speaker, like the English Speaker, is primarily concerned with making sure that a clear meaning is conveyed to an audience.

Christian mythic overtones may illuminate Chinese economic discussion--or they may confuse the issue.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:56 pm
Prophet now means 'profit' for the far right bible-thumpers as they scare the beJesus of anyone within hearing range with fire and brimstone. You hear the collection plate jingle with the coins pouring at the end of the sermon or late night TV broadcast.
0 Replies