What threads to read first?

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 06:55 am
Hey! I just signed up here just this week.

Soz for being lazy, but I was hoping you could point me to any posts that I should take a look at first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks very much, Mike Gladstone
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 22
No top replies

squinney

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:07 am
Hi, Mike and welcome to A2K.

We're a lively group of people from all over the world with vast interests and areas of knowledge. We aren't all experts, though we claim to be in some area or another.

Where to jump in probably depends on your interests. If you start a thread in some way even slightly related to sex you'll have an opportunity to meet most all of the regulars. Very Happy

Politics is also a big one if you have strong views, can articulate them and don't mind being under fire.

Hope you hang around. Many of us have been here for years and consider this our second home due to the quality of people rather than the lack of having our own lives. In that way I think it is different from so many other boards / forums.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:09 am
Hi, mikegladsz, and welcome.

Not sure what threads might be the best ones for a n00b to read, but you should make sure your are familiar with the Terms of Use. Browse the forum list, and read those threads that strike your fancy. Visit the New Posts list to see the latest posts to the site. Visit the Politics forum if you are inclined, but remember to keep your head down. And of course you should read every thread started by BumbleBeeBoogie.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
Involved??? Politics and Religion, but of course. If you have some strong views on either subject, you will get involved, fast. If you are more of the helpful type, Relationships and Marriage is a good place to become involved.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:29 am
I suggest you read any thread which involves a poster by the name of gunga snake. A most amusing, eloquent and intelligent poster.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:15 am
If you have any questions involving water softeners there is a guy who goes by the name of H2O_MAN. He will be there for you in a heartbeat.

Any problems concerning your marriage, look for a young lady by the name of Sozobe. She will guide you through turbulent waters.

Questions about satisfying a groupie? Bipolarbear is your man.

Questions about self-satisfaction? Look for Kickycan.

I am the resident expert on all manners concerning bestiality and necrophilia, but my trusty sidekick, Slappy Doo Hoo, can also be of assistance in such manners, in case I am not around.

If you would like to know how to dispose of a dead skunk, look for a woman named Eva.

Calamity Jane will walk you through any German-related questions of the sexual nature, while her countryman, Walter Hineteler, will handle all other Germany related questions.

If you are looking for a skewed viewpoint on political matters, talk to Ticomaya.

Stray Cat will be your guide for feline questions.

Look for Margo, dlowan, or msolga if you are curious about the wombat.

Need to know what it's like to live under pressure? Talk to edgarblythe.

Positive opinions regarding President Bush? Snood is your man.

Comic relief? Seek a man by the name of Brandon.

Sexual frustration? Littlek will handle that.

There are others, and I could go on for hours, but this will give you a good starting point.

Good luck, my friend, and I will see you around the board.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:37 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I'll just ignore that then shall I?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:37 am
Hi, mikegladsz, and welcome to A2K - hope you enjoy yourself here.

A n00b might find it worthwhile to check out the FAQ and to browse through the most recent topics in the Announcements Form. For tips & tricks on using the site and its bells & whistles (how to create an avatar, post images format text and/or links within a post, use smileys, that sorta stuff), see Forum Help.

Other than that, prowl around through the forums and topics - when you find something that piques your interest, just jump right in (might be a good idea to review the most recent few pages in some threads to get an idea of what's going on in the discussion)- feel free to start a topic if you wish, too.

Oh - one other note - a whole buncha folks here take themselves a whole lot more seriously than anybody else here takes them Mr. Green
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
dadpad wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I too feel like I've been dumped at The Prom. Come on dadpad, let's go out for a beer, we know when we're not being appreciated.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:53 am
If you wanna know how to ignore friends, read posts by gus
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:20 am
the prince wrote:
If you wanna know how to ignore friends, read posts by gus

Everybody feels left out by gustav's excellent, comprehensive post. Gustav gave good advice, mikegladsz.

I can recommend a legendary thread in the science and mathematics section (it is about the intelligent design controversy in science education).

It is surprising that Gustav failed to single out Frank Apisa. Frank is a fiery debater on religious subjects.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:18 pm
Green Witch wrote:
dadpad wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I too feel like I've been dumped at The Prom. Come on dadpad, let's go out for a beer, we know when we're not being appreciated.

sensibly, I knew gus couldnt possibly mention the skills and expertise of all the regular and irregular posters of A2K. Any how who listens to the ravings of a mad old swamp dweller anyhow.

We can go for a beer anyhow GW and talk about landscape design or some other really interesting and absorbing subject.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
I knew I was going to take heat for my response, but I am a seasoned veteran and have developed armor to fend off inevitable repercussions.

I did want to include Green Witch, dadpad, and the Prince in my original response, but I knew how those three valued their privacy and chose, for that reason, to exclude them.

That it came back to bite me in the ass was not only expected but welcomed with exuberance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:54 pm
First of all, welcome, Mike.

Now then..

on Gustavratzenhofer, only pay attention to the subliminal...

well, at least in part that is true for most of us plenty-posters. Some of the fiercest arguers have gotten to enjoy knowing their apparent opposites - usually we're just a bunch of humans running around trying to talk.

Then, again, some haven't worked that connection out..

Join in, be yourself (or selves). I don't mean that as suggesting multi personae - I mean that one can talk and understand oneself more in the posting, sometimes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:59 pm
osso wrote:
I mean that one can talk and understand oneself more in the posting, sometimes

Thanks, osso, I just just read some of my stuff to try to understand myself and came to the realization that I am insane.

Why didn't someone tell me?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:01 pm
Really Gus; would you have listened?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:02 pm
I would have listened with a glazed look and spittle running down the side of my face.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
osso wrote:
I mean that one can talk and understand oneself more in the posting, sometimes

Thanks, osso, I just just read some of my stuff to try to understand myself and came to the realization that I am insane.

Why didn't someone tell me?

No one notices stuff like that around here, we're too busy looking to see if someone mentions ourselves.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:07 pm
Happens to me all the time, Gus.

But none of us have answered Mike's question re what to look at.

Probably we all differ.

I just look at new posts.... until such time as it crumps due to ongoing site difficulty, and then I resort to At a Glance, and then give up for a while.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:10 pm
I spend all my time looking for stuff Green Witch wrote.
0 Replies