Did You Know...

sublime1

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 07:54 pm
The pollution was sewage and industrial waste and the river has flowed away from Lake Michigan ever since.

I heard this story on NPR last week about how clean drinking water may be the next "oil" and how Chicago went about trying to protect its source.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:55 pm
A camel's hump doesn't actually carry water.

Asian women's vaginas do NOT go sideways!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:47 pm
The vernal equinox will occur at about 8:01 Eastern Thime tonight.
Supposedly at that time you can balance a waw egg on one of its ends. We shall see....about 3 hours from now. We shall see.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:58 pm
John of Virginia, did you know that St. Patrick was actually born in Somerset, England?

(I'm fresh out of eggs)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:00 pm
First time I heard that bit about balancing an egg on its end, realjohnboy. While it sounds like utter nonsense with no conceivable scientific basis, it's good to know these things.

My ancestors used to believe that the ferns blossom on Midsummer's Night, i.e. the time of the Summer Solstice. (Actually probably it was just a way to get a girl to come into the woods with you. "Hey, let's crawl in there and see if the fern is in bloom yet." Yah, right.)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:50 am
I'm curious to know how that egg thing turned out...
0 Replies

malek

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
The Persian New Year commenced at exactly seven minutes past midnight last night.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:25 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I'm curious to know how that egg thing turned out...

Ah, yes. The egg thing. I believe (but I may be totally wrong) that it was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz who was told to close her eyes tightly, wish very hard, and click her heels. And good things would happen.

One of my employees and her boy friend tried it last night and they got four eggs to stand on end, where they remained until much later when a housemate slammed a drawer too hard.

I went to Kroger yesterday (Tuesday is old folk's day: 5% discount) and came home with 18 fresh eggs. I had no success. But unlike my employee and friend, who wanted to believe in this, I had done a google search,
The "experts" claim that, if you have the right egg and the right surface, you can make an egg stand on end any day of the year. The only reason this myth survives is because the spring and fall equinoxes are the only time anybody tries to balance an egg on its end.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:30 pm
Did you know that 12% of an eggs' mass is its outer shell?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 05:46 pm
One of my long-time employees is getting married next month. She has been working here since she was in high school or so and a lot of my customers know her and like her and when they hear the news say "Congratulations."
DID YOU KNOW
I opined today that there was a time that, according to Emily Post (a writer on etiquette) it is inappropriate to congratulate the bride to be.
How the hell I might know that---if it is true---is a mystery to me.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 08:55 pm
You're right, realjohnboy. You congratulate the groom and wish the bride best of luck. I'd forgotten that until you just remided me.

Did you know that famed classical conductor/composer Pierre Boulez and jazz great James Moody were both born on the same day? Fact. Today, in fact, was their 82d birthday. (3/26/07)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:58 pm
OK, I found two.

Did you know that the 1956 Revolution against the Soviets, with its protests, street battles against invading tanks, and mass executions afterwards, all in all cost just 2,652 Hungarian and 669 Soviet lives? Thats including the bloody aftermath.

Mind you, almost 200,000 Hungarians fled the country - not trying to belittle it or anything. But I really didnt know the actual body count was so, well, relatively, low.

Read it in an article by the Hungarian historian Istvan Deak in the New York Review of Books (of March 1).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 04:06 pm
The other one, the other one.. uuhh.. the other one I read in the Guardian the other day, but I cant find it back.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 04:06 pm
Confused Not in Central Europe. It's low perhaps in comparison to genocide in Cambodia or whatnot but up in our little corner of the world that's a large number, methinks. Less so in 1956, but not that much less. In 1968 when Soviets shot and injured tens of Czechs and Slovaks (maximum in the few hundreds, I really don't know the body count), it was still perceived as a blood bath. I think it's all relative to experience one grows up with and context, I've always thought of it (and was brought up to consider it) as a mass violence, a shooting rampage. Soviets may not have seen it that way, but we sure did. Eh, I guess I can see both sides.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 06:24 pm
Dag's right. Nearly 3,000 dead Hungarians isn't exactly peanuts by Eastern European standards. What was the population of Hungary at the time anyway? You have to look at percentages, not raw numbers.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:08 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Dag's right. Nearly 3,000 dead Hungarians isn't exactly peanuts by Eastern European standards. What was the population of Hungary at the time anyway? You have to look at percentages, not raw numbers.

Well, I think of the 1956 Revolution and its suppression as one of the, say, 5 most defining and cruel moments of Cold War-era history. It certainly got according prominence in the history books. But in terms of numbers, then, the human cost actually paled in significance - not just compared to the Cambodian Genocide as Dag mentioned, but pretty much any of the civil wars that raged in Africa, Asia or Central America during (and due to) the Cold War, and that are largely ignored in the history books.

That just hadnt hit home with me yet. Some ethnocentrism in that - European blood is worth more attention than African blood?

And yes, the 1968 uprising and its suppression in Czechoslovakia was, in comparison I mean, almost non-violent. That brings up an interesting point I was thinking about the other day though. Two or three thousand dead may not, comparatively, be all that much, but it's still two or three thousand families bereft of their son, husband or father (most victims were men). And was it worth it?

This is of course much debated, still and ever again, in Hungary. Was it responsible of Imre Nagy to tell his people, in his famous last radio appeal, that "the troops were fighting" the Soviet invaders, when no organised army action was taking place, or could take place anymore? Was it responsible of the Americans, per Radio Free Europe, to call onto the Hungarians to resist and fight, right up till the last moment - when the US never had any intention to intervene on the Hungarians' behalf, never even had any contingency plans to do so, and it was clear that by themselves the Hungarians never stood a chance, at least not once the Soviet army returned the second time?

Most historians, Hungarians incluis, deem Radio Free Europe to have been irresponsible, though Nagy's appeal is approached with more empathy. But what about the kids, the "sracok", the teens and students and workers, who fought the incoming tanks with Molotov cocktails? Was it worth it, considering that they never stood a chance? Shouldnt someone like Nagy have called upon them, once the Soviet tanks had returned, to resist spiritually but not throw away their lives? Is that what they should have done?

I was reading a collection of memoirs about '56 of Hungarian emigres, and there was one story from a guy who was twenty-something at the time. When they heard that the tanks were returning, they hurried back to their suburb of Soroksar, and there built a barricade across the street. But when the tanks arrived, they just drove around the barricade, across the railway tracks. In anger and frustration, the youths threw anything they could find - rocks, bottles. The man recalls how they managed to break a few windshields - and how at the end, a young teenager lay dead.

Was it worth it? To any rational standard, it seems, at first blush, not. Notions of pride having been defended, honour having been saved, seem quaint, and cruel to the mother of that boy. But perhaps there was a rational argument why it was worth it. After 56, for sure, retribution was swift, harsh and massive. More people were executed then, I think, than ever after in the Eastern Bloc until communism fell thirty years later. But then, of course, after 1960, "goulash communism" came, "the merriest barracks in the Soviet camp". Would Kadar have pioneered this looser, more stoic communism if the Hungarians hadnt risen up with such violent passion in '56? Would he have been allowed to by the Soviets?

The backgrounds and motivations for Kadar's more pragmatic "goulash communism" were manifold, the product of many factors to do with the country, the moment, and the man as well. But surely part of the reason was that the Soviet overlords thought it wiser to buy those feisty Hungarians off with some material freedoms?

So perhaps those worker and student youths who in '56 fought the Soviet troops that were to put Kadar in power, with their lives won their countrymen the relative freedom that the same Kadar was, eventually, to accord them. Interesting irony.

Meanwhile, the Czechoslovaks responded to the Soviet tanks returning with almost completely non-violent passive and spiritual resistance, rather than Molotov cocktails, and what did they get? Twentyone years of arguably the most repressive communist regime, bar Ceausescu's, of the Eastern Bloc.

The comparison doesnt exactly seem a showcase for non-violent resistance..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Nearly 3,000 dead Hungarians isn't exactly peanuts by Eastern European standards. What was the population of Hungary at the time anyway?

About nine and a half million. The population was 9,204,799 in 1949 and 9,961,044 in 1960.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:16 pm
Meanwhile, a new item for this here "Did you know?" thread:

Did you know that Woodrow Wilson was a distant political forebear of those Americans who know excoriate the multiculturalists and their embrace of hyphenated identities?

Targeting his fire at disgruntled Irish-Americans while defending the League of Nations project, he raved:

"There is an organized propaganda against the League of Nations and against the treaty proceeding from exactly the same sources that the organized propaganda proceeded from which threatened this country here and there with disloyalty, and I want to say--I cannot say too often--any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."

Colourful stuff. (Per Wikipedia)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:33 am
Why The Cat Ate The Rat.

This is awesome! Researchers at Stanford have found a parasite that can get into the brains of rats and mice. And once there, these parasites have a mission: get the rat or mouse to get over its fear/anxiety about cats.
The parasite's motive is simple: SEX! The parasite can only reproduce if it is, temporarily, in a cat. Almost a one-night stand...or lay...or however parasites do it.
So the parasite gets into the rat or mouse's brain and alters its normal defense system, convincing it that cat urine is really pretty cool stuff. The cat pounces, chews on the victim for awhile, transferring the parasite to the cat for one hell of a night before exiting the cat. And the process starts over again.
(I can cite a source for this if asked)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:03 pm
Received this in an email today. Don't blame me if it is faulty. - edgarblythe

Worth a try I guess.........Are pennies today all copper or just copper plated? Stupid me I don't know. That's why I ask.

A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to get stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden.

My arm swelled up so off to the doctor I went. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse so off to my regular doctor I went. Infected arm - needed an antibiotic. What was interesting is what the Dr. told me. The next time you get stung put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes. I thought, wow next time (if there ever is one) I will try it.

Well that night Shelley's niece got stung by two bees. When she came over to swim I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So off I went to get my money. Taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. Wow were we surprised. Her niece we decided, just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Well guess what happened again on Saturday night. I was helping Shelley deadhead her flowers and guess what? You are right I got stung again two times by a hornet on my left hand. Was I ticked. I thought, here I go again having to go to the doctor for yet another antibiotic.

Well I promptly went into the house, again got my money out, and taped two pennies to my bites and then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the string out of the bite immediately. I still wasn't sure what was going to happen. In the meantime the hornets were attacking Shelley and she got stung on the thumb. Again the penny. The next morning I could only see the spot where he had stung me. No redness, no swelling. Went over to see Shelley and hers was the same. Couldn't even tell where she got stung. Then Shelley got stung again on Monday night on her back---cutting the grass.

This penny thing is going to make us money at school. Again it worked.

Just wanted to share the marvelous information in case any of you are experiencing the same problem at home. We need to have a stock of pennies on hand at school and at home.

The Dr. said somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the bite. I would never had believed it. But it definitely does work.

So remember this little bit of wisdom and pass it on to your friends, children, grandchildren, etc.

PenniesÂ…PenniesÂ… Pennies
0 Replies